Futaba 3VCS 2.4 Radio System

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Jr.

Anyone out there know if I can use regular servo's with this system? I have heard rumors that I may have to us Digital servo's for this radio setup. Any truth to this? I want the FF or FS reciever? And, can I just buy more recievers for my other boats or will I need recievers with modules for each boat? Thanks in advance. Grim, I know you use this system......

Larry Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone out there know if I can use regular servo's with this system? I have heard rumors that I may have to us Digital servo's for this radio setup. Any truth to this? I want the FF or FS reciever? And, can I just buy more recievers for my other boats or will I need recievers with modules for each boat? Thanks in advance. Grim, I know you use this system......
Larry Jr.
HEY LARRY, I JUST ORDERED THE NEXT 2.4 SYSTEM DOWN FROM YOURS AND AS FAR AS I KNOW YOU CAN RUN REG SERVOS WITH IT. GIVE FUTABAA CALL AND TALK TO TECH. I RUN THE SPEKTRUM STUFF IN ALL MY CARS WITH REGULAR SERVOS AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS.MIKE.

Larry Jr.
HEY LARRY, I JUST ORDERED THE NEXT 2.4 SYSTEM DOWN FROM YOURS AND AS FAR AS I KNOW YOU CAN RUN REG SERVOS WITH IT. GIVE FUTABAA CALL AND TALK TO TECH. I RUN THE SPEKTRUM STUFF IN ALL MY CARS WITH REGULAR SERVOS AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS.MIKE.

So do you run it in the PPM mode for regular servos, HRS for digital?

Larry Jr.

Larry,

According to the manual only use Digital servo if using the R203HF receiver.

but since you will be using the 2,4Ghz with a 603 FF or FS receiver you can use either or.

The system will know and determine automatically when you turn it on if it needs to be in PPM or HRS mode.

yes, PPM mode with regular servos and HRS mode with digital servos.

Dan.

Larry,
According to the manual only use Digital servo if using the R203HF receiver.

but since you will be using the 2,4Ghz with a 603 FF or FS receiver you can use either or.

The system will know and determine automatically when you turn it on if it needs to be in PPM or HRS mode.

yes, PPM mode with regular servos and HRS mode with digital servos.

Dan.

Thank you Dan, your the man!!!!!

Larry Jr.

Larry,

one more thing.

I have one Transmitter and for now 2 receiver, one in my Nitro and one in my gas boat. I haven't converted the other ones yet.

Since you can put 10 models in memory than you can use 10 boats, 10 receivers and one Tx.

Dan.

Larry,
one more thing.

I have one Transmitter and for now 2 receiver, one in my Nitro and one in my gas boat. I haven't converted the other ones yet.

Since you can put 10 models in memory than you can use 10 boats, 10 receivers and one Tx.

Dan.

Thanks Dan, I plan on buying 4 extra RX's, so a total of 5 boats from the one TX. I just wanted to make sure I didnt need to buy $400 worth of new servo's. lol!

Larry,
one more thing.

Dan.

Thanks Dan, I plan on buying 4 extra RX's, so a total of 5 boats from the one TX. I just wanted to make sure I didnt need to buy $400 worth of new servo's. lol!
Larry, One more addition to this info

Running 2.4 I'd recomend going to 6 volt receiver packs. They'll do a better job with the system and give your servos a better punch. Just be sure the servos you use are rated for 6 volt. Many of the Futaba servos are for 4.8 volt only and in time they can quit.

Greg Hahn

Just a quick note about the 4.8 volt thing and some Futaba servos. They make that recommendation since they feel that some packs are too hot fresh off a charge. I have never had an issue with any "4.8 volt only" servo running unregulated 5-cell (6 volt) packs. They drop off from the peak very quickly and you will not have an issue.

Basically you can use any Futaba servo (except one of the helicopter tail rotor servos) with a 5-cell pack without giving it a second thought. I have numerous of these servos here to prove it. Years of use and no burned up servos. GO figure.

But do use a good 5-cell pack with the FASST radios. I prefer packs with low internal impedance that will have the lowest voltage drop under load.

Just a quick note about the 4.8 volt thing and some Futaba servos. They make that recommendation since they feel that some packs are too hot fresh off a charge. I have never had an issue with any "4.8 volt only" servo running unregulated 5-cell (6 volt) packs. They drop off from the peak very quickly and you will not have an issue.
Basically you can use any Futaba servo (except one of the helicopter tail rotor servos) with a 5-cell pack without giving it a second thought. I have numerous of these servos here to prove it. Years of use and no burned up servos. GO figure.

But do use a good 5-cell pack with the FASST radios. I prefer packs with low internal impedance that will have the lowest voltage drop under load.

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the great info!

Larry Jr.

Larry,
one more thing.

Dan.

I understand but if you use a 4 cell pack it's okay or not for the receiver,I use the helicopter tail rotor servos

I understand but if you use a 4 cell pack it's okay or not for the receiver,I use the helicopter tail rotor servos you are speaking about :(

Larry Jr.
Larry,

You'll only need the one module but you will have to mate each receiver to it. It's real easy. Just turn on the radio and plug a battery into the receiver. Push and hold the button on the receiver until the green light stays on solid. That's it... I think it's a great system. I'm not sure on this one but was told the FS receivers are the best for boats. They have two antennas (one internal, one external). Two sounded better to me so that's what I bought. Again, you may want to ask someone like Ron Zaker. He uses the system himself and offers great support.

Ron

Larry,

I've been using the 3VCS system in all my boats for the past year and a half. It has worked flawlessly. You can use digital or conventional servos and some of my boats have a mix of both. Never a problem. Use the HRS setting if you have all digital servos. If you have any conventional servos in the boat, even in combination with a digital, then use the PPM setting. The conventional analog servos won't tolerate the framerate of the HRS setting and will buzz terribly and burn up in short order.

You only need to buy additional receivers, not more modules, for additional boats. I use the 603FS for the reasons listed in the above posts. All you have to do is link them to the transmitter like Ron J said above. Takes 15 seconds at most. You only have to do it once upon initial install, or if you change transmitters. The receiver is being linked to that particular transmitter during the linking process.

I use 5 cell packs in my boats, partly by choice, and partly because some servos specify a 5 cell pack according to the manufacturer.

Another tip is to go into the transmitter menu and disable any switches or adjusters you will not be using. Some of the switches come from the factory with default functions assigned to them. If you don't disable the ones you're not going to use you may find that suddenly some of your functions may have gotten thrown way out of adjustment and this can be caused by inadvertant finger pressure on some switches or adjusters that were defaulted to rudder dual rate adjustment, throttle ATV, etc.

The system is very easy to set up and use, I'm sure you'll really like it.

Who said that Larry had to buy more modules?

Dan

No one said you had to buy more modules. Larry's original post questioned if he had to buy more of them with receivers.

I understand but if you use a 4 cell pack it's okay or not for the receiver,I use the helicopter tail rotor servos
Futaba recommends 6 volts since the 2.4 stuff has a higher low voltage threshold. As long as you use a good quality 4-cell pack and don't try to run it down to its last milliamp of capacity you should be OK.

However, why in the world would you use a servo specifically designed for extremely high speed and modest torque in a boat, of any kind.?

No one said you had to buy more modules. Larry's original post questioned if he had to buy more of them with receivers.
Thanks,

missed/forgot that part in Larry's original post, sorry.

Dan.

Latest posts

Back