• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Precision lathe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Christy

Guys,

Not quite a year ago, I bought a lathe in an attempt to do some more mainstream work (more than boat stuff). I bought the best I could find and went for it. It has not panned out as I had hoped, mostly due to my lack of time to devote to it the way it needs to be, and so I have decided to sell the lathe and rearrange my priorities.

The machine is a 1980 Hardinge HLV-H-EM (English-Metric) Super Precision toolroom lathe. Basic work dimensions of 10" x 20". It is fully equipped with the exception of the taper attachment, including:

Three and four jaw chucks. Complete set of 5C collets (1/64"-1-1/8"), including some multiples and several soft, machinable step collets and closers. An Aloris "B" toolpost and several toolholders. Precision live tailcenter, Jacobs 1/2" precison chuck for the tailstock. Spindle nose face plate. Steady-rest. Four position, precision "turret" toolpost. Trak DRO with .0002" resolution.

This is undoubtedly way more machine than the casual "hobby" machinist will ever need, but for those in need of an extremely highly precise lathe w/o any CNC learning curve, this is it. This is the ideal lathe for any shop that needs to be able to do small, close tolerance, low quantity work in a short amount of time. New, this machine has a spindle run-out of .00002" :blink: , and this one probably has a run-out of .0002" or less.

Although it had been repainted prior to my purchase, it has been well maintained and is in great shape. All the threading gears sound and run good and the power feeds are smooth and strong.

I have been operating it in my home garage, which is powered 220v single phase, so I also have a Phase-O-Matic static phase converter, a 3HP 3Ph moter and a 220v-440v transformer that goes with the lathe. The lathe is wired 440v-3Ph.

I'm asking $14,500. Look on eBay or any of the many used machinery web sites (do a search for "HLV") and you will see that this is a VERY reasonable price. This machine sells new for $40K+ with no tooling.

Contact me directly at titan-racing (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net

or call me at (H) (937)859-0858 © (937)545-8991

I'm also going to list in the local "Trader" magazine, but I thought I'd offer it here as well, as I know there are a ton of possible buyers in this hobby.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Latest posts

Back