• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Custom Pistons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, I may be interested but I've got some newbie type questions here. I've got a K&B .82 marine that I got taken for when I bought it off of ebay :rolleyes: :angry: . The engine is almost new looking from outside but it looks like a previous owner replaced the piston and sleeve with a completely worn out combo. The compression is low, of course. Nothing like my little used, older OPS .65 or my brand new K&B .67. Finding a new piston and sleeve for the .82 is close to impossible and when I do, the price is, well.... :eek: !

When you make the new piston, will it be an exact match of my current piston but just ever-so-slightly larger for a tighter fit in my sleeve :unsure: ? I really don't want any hassles with mismatched parts. I'm not a racer-just a run for fun type of boater. I was told by a long time boater that I could just add an ounce or two of extra oil to my fuel for a little more compression. As I said, I'm not a racer so maybe the extra oil may be the way for me to go?

Thanks for reading this! Danny

Danny,

HEY BRAD I SENT YOU 3-ROSSI 45 SLEEVES AND ONE NEW PISTON FOR A PATTERN THANKS FOR PROVIDING THIS SERVICE AS THESE PISTONS ARE NO LONGER AVAILIABLE FROM BILL MCGRAW LARRY

More oil really will not restore compression at all. The piston and sleeve are worn too much to fit tight enough for good compression. You have two realistic choices: Replace the piston or pinch/compress the sleeve to get back the compression. What Brad is offering is an excellent buy and is the best choice. A better than factory piston that will last longer at a cheaper price. He will need both the old piston and sleeve to make the new piston to exactly fit the existing sleeve. He is a master machinist and will get it right.

John

we use Titanium and 35%alloy our piston(alum) are under $40

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

After a good portion of a season, results are coming in about these pistons. Aside from my own experience with them in my engines, others are reporting very good results. The material is breaking in well and holding up to some extremely brutal testing (like a 94 MPH twin hydro). The piston in my MAC21 is just getting broken in (it's been in service since April) to the point where I can turn the engine over easily with the plug out, but yet will hold pressure all night long.

I still have plenty of material and there were several individuals who expressed interest but held off until some they were proven reliable. I'm confident that has been done. Now is probably the time to get back with me on it so as to get them before the end of the season. Turn around is a bit slow, but I have my reasons, aside from the fact that this is a diligent process to make these pistons. The material is hard on tooling and very tough (for aluminum), and tolerances are held extremely tight. I am finding my machining skills and patience tested whenever I work on pistons....... This is a good thing.......... B)

Also, any of you who got them and have not gotten back with me, I'd like to hear from you, here or privately is fine.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Hey Brad!!

Can you make me a N/R L/S piston? do you need me to send you the old staff?

Thanks.nick

Guys,

I am looking into purchasing some piston material for personal use. Unfortunatly, the minimum order is considerably more than I really need, for myself, at the moment. I thought I would see if there would be any interest in custom pistons or new pistons for old sleeves. I have the required equipment and I am more than capable of holding the tolerances expected. The material is either going to be CE-17 or RSA-431 (or 444), which are 30% silicon aluminum, the perfect material for our pistons. All I would need is the sleeve and preferrably the piston to be replaced (if possible). I'm not sure exactly what the material is going to cost me, depending of if I can get multiple sizes (diameters) within the minimum order of if a minimum is required of each size, but I was thinking somewhere in the $50-65 range, maybe less if in multiples.

Any takers? I know all you Picco guys are looking for options here..........

Email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Are you still making pistons? I am interested in getting one for a Rossi 45.

Thanks

Wally

i actually need a number of pistons. such as a .91rs cmb, 1.01rs cmb, and a1.00 cmb grand prix(twin plug). and maybe a couple of .45 mac pistons. let me know what your schedule is and how long (approx.) you think it will take to do all five pistons.

thank you,

shadow

[email protected]

Shadow,

YGM..................

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad what would it cost to build a Picco 45 pistons? I have a couple of New sleeves to send. you. Also please include a shipping address. Will this be a billet or other material piston?

Shadow,

YGM..................

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad what would it cost to build a Picco 45 pistons? I have a couple of New sleeves to send. you. Also please include a shipping address. Will this be a billet or other material piston?

Joe these are billet and they are beautiful..you wont be disappointed.. You need to break them in slowly though.. Tony J

Tony,

Thanks for the kudos...........

Joe,

YGM...........

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Guys,
OK, here's the deal.......

I have been working my can to the rim on a number of efforts, one of which is pistons. As many of you know, particularly those who I owe pistons to, I made a change of occupational address, and the climate for making boat parts got kinda stormy, so I had to lay low there. I am no longer there and I'm basically on my own for as long as I can make it last. The machine I now use is quite a bit different from the one I used to make pistons on, and, quite frankly, it is not the machine I would have bought, but I wasn't the one buying it, so....... After several failed attempts at duplicating my original process on the "new" machine, and after several failed attempts at using software to generate the toolpaths (while trying to learn the software on my own, no less), I finally stumbled across a hopeful solution. Using software (that I'm familiar with) that wasn't designed to generate toolpaths, I think I've found a way around the machine's short-comings to virtually duplicate the EXACT method I originally developed for making pistons. I will know tomorrow if what I have come up with will work. If it does, the programming will be more labor intensive, but once the programming is done, the process will get much easier than it was before.

Long story short, I think I should be able to start delivering pistons in the next couple days. I've got about 40-50 pistons started on my bench, with the first lathe operation completed, awaiting the first two mill operations (which has been the speed bump in this whole thing).

I have started with MAC45's. Mostly just because the MAC45 piston prints were on top of the stack of prints. I will prove out the process on these and then move on to others. I have MAC/CMB21's to do, NR21LS's, P5's, P45 Blackheads and Blueheads, among others. I can't say in what order they will be tackled. I'll have to look back and see how many of what I owe who, who paid first, that sort of thing. One thing's for sure, I never intended to rip anyone off and I still don't. If I owe you stuff, and I've neglected to respond to E-Mail's and PM's, I appologize. I've just been keeping my head down and my shoulder to the wheel, trying to find a way to get this stuff done. I've also been putting in alot of hours , making non-boat parts on a commercial level, trying to keep the ship afloat. I'm going to make an attempt to go back through my E-Mails and PM's and respond to those who've contacted me. If I miss you, give me another poke in a couple days and I'll respond.

I really don't want to take on any new orders until I get out from under these orders already mentioned, but I will be making extras of anything I need to make, so if you need anything and you're not already on "the list", contact me and I'll let you know what I've got, and what I'll have in the near future.

News at eleven........
So as to cease the hi-jacking of TT's thread, I moved to my own....

The programming worked as planned. So now it's a matter of developing toolpaths for the other pistons I have to make. I already have several of them drawn up and saved as DXF files, and will start working them into programs as I can. The MAC45's will be done be weeks' end and then it's on to some P45 Blueheads, then the NR21LS will come next. I also have a number of rods to make as well, so I'll probably filter them in as I get the pistons done they go with (Aimed at you, Ray ;) ).

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Guys,

I have been working my can to the rim on a number of efforts, one of which is pistons. As many of you know, particularly those who I owe pistons to, I made a change of occupational address, and the climate for making boat parts got kinda stormy, so I had to lay low there. I am no longer there and I'm basically on my own for as long as I can make it last. The machine I now use is quite a bit different from the one I used to make pistons on, and, quite frankly, it is not the machine I would have bought, but I wasn't the one buying it, so....... After several failed attempts at duplicating my original process on the "new" machine, and after several failed attempts at using software to generate the toolpaths (while trying to learn the software on my own, no less), I finally stumbled across a hopeful solution. Using software (that I'm familiar with) that wasn't designed to generate toolpaths, I think I've found a way around the machine's short-comings to virtually duplicate the EXACT method I originally developed for making pistons. I will know tomorrow if what I have come up with will work. If it does, the programming will be more labor intensive, but once the programming is done, the process will get much easier than it was before.

Long story short, I think I should be able to start delivering pistons in the next couple days. I've got about 40-50 pistons started on my bench, with the first lathe operation completed, awaiting the first two mill operations (which has been the speed bump in this whole thing).

I have started with MAC45's. Mostly just because the MAC45 piston prints were on top of the stack of prints. I will prove out the process on these and then move on to others. I have MAC/CMB21's to do, NR21LS's, P5's, P45 Blackheads and Blueheads, among others. I can't say in what order they will be tackled. I'll have to look back and see how many of what I owe who, who paid first, that sort of thing. One thing's for sure, I never intended to rip anyone off and I still don't. If I owe you stuff, and I've neglected to respond to E-Mail's and PM's, I appologize. I've just been keeping my head down and my shoulder to the wheel, trying to find a way to get this stuff done. I've also been putting in alot of hours , making non-boat parts on a commercial level, trying to keep the ship afloat. I'm going to make an attempt to go back through my E-Mails and PM's and respond to those who've contacted me. If I miss you, give me another poke in a couple days and I'll respond.

I really don't want to take on any new orders until I get out from under these orders already mentioned, but I will be making extras of anything I need to make, so if you need anything and you're not already on "the list", contact me and I'll let you know what I've got, and what I'll have in the near future.

News at eleven........

The programming worked as planned. So now it's a matter of developing toolpaths for the other pistons I have to make. I already have several of them drawn up and saved as DXF files, and will start working them into programs as I can. The MAC45's will be done be weeks' end and then it's on to some P45 Blueheads, then the NR21LS will come next. I also have a number of rods to make as well, so I'll probably filter them in as I get the pistons done they go with (Aimed at you, Ray ;) ).

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

when will the mac 67 pistons be done ..if ever?

terry

Let us know when you get caught up Brad. I have a few things to send you when you are ready. ;)

Keep the chips flying!

-Buck-

Guys,

News at eleven........

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
This is good news as I really, really, really need my MAC45 piston/sleeve back for record trials coming up soon....... :ph34r:

Don,

Dont' sound so desperate. It's not very becoming of you........ And what's with the "stealth" smiley? Everybody knows, now...... ^_^

I'm kinda doubting that I will get them done by the end of the week now since I discovered yesterday afternoon that I had botched an entire batch of nine MAC45 pistons before I even got them off the lathe several months ago. Oh, well.... It's only material, right? :( I am ready to start hollowing out a new batch tomorrow, right after running a short job through for the boss. We'll see how it goes.

Buck,

Now you know why I wanted to hold off on taking you order some time back............ ;)

Terry,

I think I've got a couple MAC67 pistons ready for fitting now. I'll have to check and get back with you.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

That is great news.

Glad to see you back at it too.

We're third on the list, not too bad.

Thanks Brad

Back