Cowl Locks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raydee

I had a incident this past weekend with my one of my FE hulls. The hull hit the water hard enough to rip the hatch clean off the boat, tape and all. I lost some electronics because of it and decided that all my hulls need a better meathod of keeping the hatches on. In the past with my nitro and gas hulls I used magnets and cowl locks. I can't remember if the cowl locks could be set so that when they are locked they are close to flush with the hull so that I can tape over them and make sure they are water tight?

Ray, You could look at the aquacraft grimracer cowl latches at tower, they are a small turn latch that sit tight to the deck whn latched.

press them to latch and turn to release. I have used them on the sport20 and 40 boats and my gas hydro.

they have a small oring that mybe could be used between the cowl and the latch button.

You could tape over these too.

Tower Hobby search for part LXMHB4

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I tried the magnets but I think a hard enough crash would easily pop those off with the tape. I actually found the Newer Aeromarine cowl locks that look like they will mount real flush and I should have no problem taping over them.

Here is a link to them http://redlinemotors.us/#/cowl-locks/4538885781

Yeah I tried the magnets but I think a hard enough crash would easily pop those off with the tape. I actually found the Newer Aeromarine cowl locks that look like they will mount real flush and I should have no problem taping over them.

Here is a link to them http://redlinemotors...ocks/4538885781

You would be better off with the Grim Racer cowl locks, they barely protrude above the deck, and would be easy to tape over. I have those Aeromarine latches on my Sprint Cat, and the heads are much larger than the Grim Racers, and protrude higher from the deck when latched.

What boat are you working with? I was thinking about some sort of arm like a servo arm that just could be fasten to the deck and then turn it to hold the cowl down. I did that with my new Bardahal roundnose 40 boat

I need them on all my hulls after seeing that tape doesn't hold in a high speed crash. I got my AM cowl locks in today and I can make them work if I redrill the cotter pin holes a bit higher. I think I may just go buy some thumb screws instead and glue some wood under the deck of the hull with some blind nuts. On the hatch side I will use rubber washers to make them water tight and I won't have to worry about taping over them. Now I just have to find a place that sells the thumb screws and play the waiting game again.

I need them on all my hulls after seeing that tape doesn't hold in a high speed crash. I got my AM cowl locks in today and I can make them work if I redrill the cotter pin holes a bit higher. I think I may just go buy some thumb screws instead and glue some wood under the deck of the hull with some blind nuts. On the hatch side I will use rubber washers to make them water tight and I won't have to worry about taping over them. Now I just have to find a place that sells the thumb screws and play the waiting game again.

McMaster Carr

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back