Chucky GT ONE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Wibe Enevoldsen

Hi this is my new project the GT ONE "project top speed" it started as all good projects do with an impulse purchase of the Chucky GT one hull, i already have a Big chucky so i kind of knew what i was getting into but also i had never seen the hull before sending payment. Anyway the the GT one is alot smaller than expected, at 85cm long and 24.5cm wide Its basically the size of a TFL pursuit
IMG20230609145701.jpg
it petty sleek
IMG20230611205338.jpgreceived_150593784581401.jpeg
The hull is laid up in carbon and fiberglass and is 1040g with the hatch, the bottom is a little too bendy for my liking so it will get an inlay and taped at the seams.

The goals for this boat is to break 130 kph on GPS and get my PB to sub 1 minute at my local 5 lap oval race.
the setup will be:
TP 4070
Hydra XLX2
2x Cnhl 4s 6000 70c
now come the problems the hull is tiny inside, so it will be 10 pounds of s*** in a 5 pound bag, i'm going to have to do some serious packaging to get it all to fit and be adjustable and strong.
IMG20230613185021.jpg

Last edited:
First step done, a 3/4 length carbonfiber inlay as well as 50mm fiberglass tape on the seams
this and the rails i plan to add should give the strength it needs
IMG20230615063732.jpg
then i cut off the rear hatch lip so the shaft collet can still be tightened and i can push the motor as far back as possible
IMG20230620072609.jpg

I started designing and printing some battery mounts to see what i can fit, its tight! I have about 3.5mm of clearance between the battery and the hatch rail
batterytrays.PNG

6T6A2599.jpg
the fit is perfect, i did have to cut the mount down to get clearance but it fits.
6T6A2600.jpg
6T6A2602.jpg
i got the test motor mounts made, this is testing with a tp 4060 to get the shaft angles right.
Tomorrow i should get most of the transom hardware so i can start designing a custom rudder arm because there is no room on the transom for anything available off the shelf

Hardware came in and the transome real estate is gone, but that just means i get to design some custom fancy rudder arm
IMG20230628174714.jpg
if anyone has tips for the best possible hardware layout please let me know! its a ridepad hull but nothing on it is symetrical so im at a loss

IMG20230628174547.jpg
pictures dont show it well but the transom is rounded forward from the yellow section and up.. so insted of dealing with that rigth away i made the template for a carbon plate to add some strength to the transom inside.
IMG20230628202842.jpg
1,5 mm carbon plate
IMG20230628220324.jpg
glue and clamp
lastly i finalized the ESC mount design it will be a 3d print that mounts to another with screws and brass inserts
updated esc mount.PNG

Great project, and with that setup you should easily be able to beat 130km/h.
Regarding the rudder at the transom: I would replace those huge trim tabs for smaller versions that don't go so high up the transom. Then, make a rudder bracket that can be placed above the trim tab, like my Wild Thing:

20230621_203552.jpg

Why don't you put the 2 lipo's next together on 1 big lipo tray in the hull centre? The esc can be put after the motor. It seems with your current setup, your c.g. will be too far back?

I am building a 850mm mono as well, for 6-8S setup and TP power motor. I will follow this project with interest 👍

Regarding the rudder at the transom: I would replace those huge trim tabs for smaller versions that don't go so high up the transom. Then, make a rudder bracket that can be placed above the trim tab, like my Wild Thing:
that would be the easy solution that i normaly would go with, but i saw this picture from the Munich SAW and since then ive been looking to make something like it for myself

AKA im making this harder than it needs to be simply to see if i can do it😅
242722663_376960667301696_7362815660963743580_n.jpg
Why don't you put the 2 lipo's next together on 1 big lipo tray in the hull centre? The esc can be put after the motor. It seems with your current setup, your c.g. will be too far back?
i wish it was so, the hull is pretty nose heavy so the split batteries is the only way i can get the cg back to 30% ish because the motor is so long.
also the ESC dosent really fit in the sides as the wires out the top are too stiff to make it fit well.
all that being said, nothing about the batteries is fully decided untill i get the hardware on there and see what the actual C/G is, its about 300g of weigth so it will move the C/G some

I understand about your c.g. 👍

That rudder from the München SAW is the biggest assembly I have seen on a mono 😅. How is that going to fit with your trim tabs? That SAW boat looks very interesting. Seems 3D printed, with a twin setup.

i made a floodtube by vacumbagging some carbon over a 3d printed form, it took a few tries but i got it on the third one. IMG20230627100646.jpg
IMG20230627165251.jpgIMG20230627170709 (2).jpgcut it down and glued in.6T6A2754.jpg

most of the hardware got installed, and i got more space to work with than orignally planned :)
IMG20230715225747.jpg
The rudder bracket turned out much simpler than planned, and the test print fits perfectly. I orderd it printed in carbon filled nylon from xometry, it should be here soon. 6T6A2766.jpg6T6A2784.jpg
next up motor and esc mounts and figureing out how to jam a servo in there too...
i am having a lot of fun building this boat and documenting it in photos

so i did show this in my last post but i did not explain the logic behind the two 3d printed blocks on the transom, they hold 2 heatset inserts because if i used regular nuts i could never get a wrench or socket on them due to how close to the motor mount they are. 6T6A2754.jpg
notched the end of the motor mount to hold them in place, this also ties the motormount to the transom adding strength
6T6A2745-Enhanced-NR.jpg
6T6A2758.jpg

next the servo mount. uses a TFL laydown bracket and a 3d printed spacer to tilt the servo in to the only place it fits and aligns with the push rod 6T6A2801.jpg
6T6A2802.jpg
and the screws are still easy to get to!:D
6T6A2791.jpg
the ESC mount is ready to go in
6T6A2781.jpg
the shiny new TP 4070 is finally here!🥳
somewhere in all this i also poured the tip and added some more fiberglass

lots of progress this time, i got my 3d printet parts only for them to break while unpacking them and xometry tellling me that just happens :mad:
so i did a redesign for more strength and printed it myself.
6T6A2816.jpg
i got the mounts for batts ESC and motor glued in and water lines and wires run 6T6A2862.jpg
i still cant belive i made it all fit but i does... just. there is no wiggle room for the straps
6T6A2855.jpg
last thing to do was cut down the rudder and now the boat is ready for its maiden run.
total weight is 4660g, length overall is 104 cm.
here are the final pictures:
6T6A2848.jpg
6T6A2850.jpg6T6A2852.jpg6T6A2854.jpg

Attachments

• 6T6A2856.jpg
    6T6A2856.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 0
Im still trying to figure out the porposing but in checking the logs i found something else that needs adressing, the batteries drop in voltage alot-
these cnhl 70c 6000s are not new or heated or anything, the Vdroop is just not what i need to get to where i want to be. so a set of onyx 4s2p 6600 batteries are on the way. im not sure if they will fit but thats a problem for later 🤣 v drop.PNG
on the plus side the boat is running great in the turns and the takeoff is solid on the ABC 1816.

Great looking boat. Do you have a link where these hulls can be purchased? I tried a basic google search and came up with nothing.
I suspect it might exceed your expectations when you push it hard.

Not sure if my recent video had any impact on your decision but Onyx LiPos are great!

thank you! there is a guy named denis olivier out of germany he makes them and the baby raptor and some others, but its all just on facebook.
i help run the website for gpsspeedrun.com so i did see your video ;)

thank you! there is a guy named denis olivier out of germany he makes them and the baby raptor and some others, but its all just on facebook.
i help run the website for gpsspeedrun.com so i did see your video ;)
Ah the ol' book face. I stay off that one for my mental health.
Awesome for the GPSSpeedrun.com site, I really enjoy it and will be pushing for some higher speeds in the upcoming weeks.
I appreciate you guys running that site!

Back