Control Rod Splice question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie Lerew

Wanted to get an opinion on pro’s and cons on using copper tubing, soldering two 3/16 rods together. I have plenty of 12” threaded rods but need 19”.
Thanks Ron

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpeg
    IMG_0299.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
If it is a snug fit. I don’t know why Loctite 648 wouldn’t work. It is used to hold the prop shaft on a wire drive In some applications. I would think that there would be much more stress on a prop shaft vs a pushrod. It would probably have two or three times more surface area to adhere to with the pushrods.

Buy some tig rod and thread it I find pieces on lifts from off rent I grab them up stainless 1/16 1/8 and 3/16 sometimes I get lucky find full pieces.Certain renters I can just ask for a few pieces

Like Bruce said. Use welding rod and make your own the right length. If you use 1/8 rod, you can either cut the diameter down at the end and run a 4-40 die over it, or first run a 5-40 die over it then a 4-40.

I know you didn't ask, but you would be a long ways ahead if you got rid of that long servo arm so you don't have to limit the end points to cut down the throw, and move the servo to the other side of your mount to better align it with the rudder. Properly built linkages with good geometry, make a boat drive so much better.

Scott Meyers has a good video on how he does his steering control rods with carbon fiber arrow shafts. Very light, sturdy and super attractive. Does require a little machining if you don't want to purchase the premade aluminum end pieces.
Video here:

Attachments

• DSCN6780.JPG
    DSCN6780.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for the great information. This is the first gas boat I purchased about 10 years ago. As you can see the 3/16 rod travels through a copper tube, I’m thinking that was installed to cut down on flexing of the rod. I just installed a wire drive in this boat and did a lot of cutting and a modified motor mount to get the proper angle required. Still need to trim extra material from mounts. So now I’m going to remove whats there and go with the carbon rod method.
Thanks Ron

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
I make and sell these 1/8" SS rod with each end threaded 6-32 with nylon monster ball joints that thread on snug and maintain alignment with each other on the rod without backer nuts. No electrical noise created and never get any play in them. The 3mm bolts can thread directly in aluminum servo horns that have threaded holes in them.

I also have radio box seals with 6061 aluminum mounts that fit these rods perfectly.

I custom make them to order any length center to center you need.

HaFlvfb.jpg

James,
Here is one of Daniel’s box seals. I have them in most of my boats.
Ron

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Back