K21 News Update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hobbs

Legend of the NW
Vendor
Not all the news is hunky-dory. Some of the recent engines have a few small problems.

1. The standard head button does not allow the standard glow plug to reach the combustion chamber. I have notified the manufacturer to make the change and asked them to send me replacement head buttons. I will let everyone know on I.W. when I have the correct head buttons and if you want one, I'll give you one. The head button for turbo glow plugs is fine.

2. Some engines came with headbolts that are a bit short. I will get longer head bolts and, if you need them, let me know and I will send you a set.

3. The end play is tight on some engines.

4. The champher on some connecting rods does not exactly match the champher on the crankpin.

These are simple to solve problems.

If you are not happy, send me back your engine before you do anything to it, I will return your money plus the shipping costs you paid to get it to me.

In the meantime, please use the turbo plug head button.

Al Hobbs

Drove up to Mark Grims shop today and checked out my 2 K 21.

One needed to measured and check. All was very good except Mark need to put a champhore in the rod to match the crank and set the deck clearance.

Second motor we measured it and there was no endplay by feel or measurement. Mark has a fixture to machine the rotor housing to get the proper end play.

Rod was fitted the crank and did some minor cleaning of flashing in the sleeve.

If you have. K 21 I would send it to Mark Grim before running it to check it out and make the needed corrections.

Al, my regular cable source is out of, and has been for some time, .150" cables w/.187" shafts. I like .150" cable for .21 engines....can you recommend a good source, please?.....thank you.
aww dang I just bought a whole 20 foot roll of .150 cable but dont have spare stub shafts. offshore electric has plenty of both.

Zipp Kits sells .150 X.187 flex shafts, website says they are soldered, and USA made. I run them in my JAE 12 since 2016 w/o any failures or issues (knock on 1/16 plywood.) Mike Ball taught me how to install & align stuffing tube in that hull, big help reducing flex cables problems as well. I do install a new one every year or 2 for piece of mind, but save used ones for spares since they look fine. Not plugging Zipp Kits, I know others make great cables as well. Just sharing my personal experience & another source of .150’’ cables.
Brian Neumann

Hello Al,

If you’re coming to Atlanta Spring Nationals, can you bring me one of the K21 motors.
Will use turbo head button.
Need header and a couple of gaskets for header.

Thanks,
Tom David

Last edited:
Hello Al,

If you’re coming to Atlanta Spring Nationals, can you bring me one of the K21 motors.
Will use turbo head button.
Need header and a couple of gaskets for header.

Thanks,
Tom David
I'm happy to bring some engines to Atlanta. I have sent you a message.

Back