CMB 1.01 Tuning Tips

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Glass

HI I have had A CMB 1.01 For a little while now and have never been able to get it to run any good it just dosn't seem to want to rev out, I have adjusted my mixtures from 2 turns rite out to 4 and it dosn't make any difference I am running 25% nitro and i have tryed a heap of props. It heats up like its leaning out and laboring. It has always been super tight on TDC and has never freed up much I am wondering if i should try lap the piston in A little. I have 4 other OS engines 2 K&B's and a OPS and I don't have any trouble tuning them just this one. I Know there a good engine but I just can not get it to go any good. Any advise would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Troy,

I have found that the 1.00/1.01 motors need a lot of "freeing up" before they operate well. They get better with age so run it but don't abuse it. They are good motors.

Regards,

-Buck-

HI I have had A CMB 1.01 For a little while now and have never been able to get it to run any good it just dosn't seem to want to rev out, I have adjusted my mixtures from 2 turns rite out to 4 and it dosn't make any difference I am running 25% nitro and i have tryed a heap of props. It heats up like its leaning out and laboring. It has always been super tight on TDC and has never freed up much I am wondering if i should try lap the piston in A little. I have 4 other OS engines 2 K&B's and a OPS and I don't have any trouble tuning them just this one. I Know there a good engine but I just can not get it to go any good. Any advise would be great.
Troy. The 101 isthe best motor I have ran in 30 yrs. of racing boats. I have one in a Seaducer 44" and it is extremely fast. I also have one in a Crapshooter hydro and it is like driving a blown nitro funny car. I am not sure why you are having problems. I have ran 60% O'Donnell fuel and 60% Red Max fuel with out any problems.

We have done some things which are quite conservative to the motor. I would suggest that you call Mark Bullard, 1-256-303-6423. He works on our motors and they are not only fast but reliable. Do not lap the piston. The motors need to ran on the rich side of the needle. Dr. Gary Turner

Troy:

Make sure that the fuel line is large enough. Also check the size of the pickup line on the tank.

Rick

Troy

If its ABC (brass) P/L leave it. It will need to heat cycle the metal.

How long have you been running it. ( As Doc said on the side of Rich) If it is ABC It will be 1 gallon before it starts to cure. The motor will go from running to not running at the current needle. At that ponit you are close. Are you using the standard head? Or Turbo plug ?What is the head clearance? Are you using CMB pipes?

If you can,make contant with (Ian Inverarity) Spelling, sorry. He is there in Assie,Assie,Assie,Oui,Oui,Oui and knows what to do. :) :) :D :lol:

DO NOT NOT RUN WFO BEFORE THE 1 GALLON :( :( :(

I agree with Doc the RS101 may be CMB`s Best Current Production Engine. it likes 15cc pipe in hot weather 13cc in cooler weather & the liner to be rasied in the block about .020. head volume is Good But it will improve performance will the bowl being reshaped & 60 percent Nitro. Exellent engine. I do not go to the sweet spot on the needle untill 10 tanks @ 28 oz ea. Go thru the engine. jw

Troy, What boat, pipe and prop?????? B) B)
The boat is a Insane Gen2 Hydro, CMB 90/100 pipe 12", props I have tryed are prop shop 6014/3, 6017,3 prather 250, ABCH30 &H29 And it is a standard head plug. Hose in the tank is 1/8 brass with medium sized silicon fuel line. What is the base line needle settings?

There is no baseline needle setting . Go to 5/32 " tubing for the tank with large line , richen till blubbering and lean till plug looks on the dull side of shiny if you will . I use Mcoy Mc-9 plugs .As many have said a gallon or two will be required for it to free itself up a little . Great engine .

Troy

Props are small enough for now. Like Tom said back the needle out until it is blubbering rich and continue to run. What % of fuel are you using. Also look to see if you can find a Mac Products 15cc pipe. Is the CMB the one with large Dia lead and the thin long stinger end???

Troy
Props are small enough for now. Like Tom said back the needle out until it is blubbering rich and continue to run. What % of fuel are you using. Also look to see if you can find a Mac Products 15cc pipe. Is the CMB the one with large Dia lead and the thin long stinger end???
You will also find that the engine will not run well with a prop that does not load the engine a LOT. The more prop load, the better it runs. Doesn't seem to be able to clean out well without a lot of prop load.

Marty Davis

Look sound seem water jacket's O ring leak because clean up WD-40 through flush out cause O ring swell so will you blow to check any leak also carb's low needle too lean and you turn open "rich" Hope to Help Good luck!

Well I ran another 2 ltrs of fuel through my 1.01 again to day still with no luck. I increased my brass pipes in the tank to 5/32 and ran some new large silicon fuel tube. I tryed a differnt fuel filter a differnt remote need valve and srewed my mixtures round from 2 turns rite out to 5. Just about tried every thing except for a new engine. The way this engine is running my seducer mono with a 7.5cc ops would absolutely leave it for dead.

Well I ran another 2 ltrs of fuel through my 1.01 again to day still with no luck. I increased my brass pipes in the tank to 5/32 and ran some new large silicon fuel tube. I tryed a differnt fuel filter a differnt remote need valve and srewed my mixtures round from 2 turns rite out to 5. Just about tried every thing except for a new engine. The way this engine is running my seducer mono with a 7.5cc ops would absolutely leave it for dead.
Troy......remove the fuel filter. You should not need it if you filter the fuel coming out of the jug. Also, check the tank for leaks.

Oh.........try a larger prop just to eliminate that as tested.

2 Ltrs is just over 2 Quarts....................4 ltrs is what we are saying. Is the sleeve ABC (Brass) If it is you have not come CLOSE. Not on 25%. PATIENCE!!!!!

If you have not put 4-6 ltrs through that motor yet. The motor is not ready.

troy show us some close pictures of your boat and setup, maybe someone can pinpoint the problem,

Troy......remove the fuel filter. You should not need it if you filter the fuel coming out of the jug. Also, check the tank for leaks.

Fuel filters are not whats causing this deal I'm sure . BTW I wouldn't run without one, they are a maintenance item but they sure as hell prevent more headaches then they could ever create .

Latest posts

Back