B Sport rule change

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks Michael,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mine is VS-1 with OS, Version 1 or 2 whatever the boat likes.. (Head Shim removed) No cuts or work done.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]4052/3 prop bag.... 50% fuel..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The point of this is I DO RACE this class and make all attempts to understand and help others when I can.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]This class is VERY successful for IMPBA.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]The idea of the go-no-go gauge was simple, air in air out. The openings “govern” the motor. Its not perfect but it HAS BEEN WORKING! Do we get a runaway custom build.. likely.. so what.. most are heading for a blow over.. I choose not to play that game.. and again NO TAREDOWNS![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]OF COURCE one motor was going to rise to the top. This was going to happen no matter what “Stock” system you choose.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Lucky for us it’s not been the motor of the year club. I raced my first OS motor until last year when it split the case (it was a 2005 motor and was used at the nats for the Top Speed challenge race..lol) It was used when I got it…… and abused I must say… Man those guys were hard on those little motors…lol[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I now have that motor and a V2.. both run great. The cheapest part of my Sport Tunnel program IS the motor… its been very reliable and only needed a few sets of bearings over the years. It sips fuel using about 5oz per race.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Less the cost of the motor Im sure that motor does not cost me more than 80 to100 dollars a year to race and maintain….[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Anyway.. on we go. Lets race..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Grim[/SIZE]

The gold carb is on for winter display. The biggest performance increase i had was adding more stank in the tank .i jumped from 30% to 50%

Grim

To me you were the most helpful person .i bought this boat used but complete the set up was totally wrong and your post's and messaging you i now have it running good .thank you

Vs2 ? Im interested

Grim

To me you were the most helpful person .i bought this boat used but complete the set up was totally wrong and your post's and messaging you i now have it running good .thank you

Vs2 ? Im interested
V2=air cooled OS, engine, not hull mike. although TECHNICALY, the aquacraft vs1 could be called a v2. v1 being the original kit villain before grim went with aquacraft & they offered them prebuilt....

Question clarification by no tear downs you are talking random racers can still file a protest and have the engine tore down and checked for bore and stroke right?

You could also make it more competitive if th efuel was limited 15% nitro or less and provided by the club. We did that way back in the STL club and it came down to props, setup, driving (getting on the clock) and who had the nerve to lean the engine out the most without going too lean ! It was fun!

Using the go-no-go gauge teardowns are not to be done. (Bob is your man on that one.. but)

The way I see it one cannot be protested using a go-no-go gauge. The motor meets the gauge.. IT IS leagle.

Grim

Wow, no drama here. Is anything really changing? What I see happening is someone can now legally update a water cooler to a new air cooler and or just use the longer OS pipe. So those with older motors won't be forced to buy a new one if they feel it has an advantage. And some CS protests that have created a lot of hard feelings will be moot. So is this going to change the face of "SPORT- B"? I think not.

As for all the "super motor" yes there are a few that run with and better than most mods. Guess what it isn't just the motor, correct clearances and good bearings, powerhead and PTO come into play. As Poole said the hulls are a big factor and weight/HP is another important part. You need all 3 to run fast. If you want level the field make a 6 lb. minimum weight, easily checked after every heat and 15% club fuel. Or just race and see the sky isn't falling.

In the southeast we run a "SPORT-D" / Superstock / Outlaw 40 tunnel class with a can muffler being the only rule. Katy bar the door on motor mods. In my mind the biggest factor in the class, boat and setup.

lohring makes a good case for FE but in IMPBA there is more spec/limited drama than a newbie should be subjected to. The drawback to FE is run time. 6-8 laps to practice and you need to recharge. A new person needs laps to practice and hone his driving and setup skills. A Mike said the .21OS is cheap to run and maintain. Probably the most bang for the buck in RC boat racing. Is the new guy going to step right in and blow away national champions and hall of famers? probably not but with a good boat he will be in the hunt. We had a brand new to boat racer here (Jeff Maturo) with an OS on a VS-1 run in the Herb Stewart race. He finished 7th out of 21 boats in Sport-B and 4th out of 17 boats in mod .21 in his first race. (same sport boat) He is a national caliber 1/10th and 1/12th scale road course driver who will progress from there in boats.As has been said, lets race,

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
grim, the "stock tunnels" i raced were fzr600, yzf 600, R1, yz125 86-92, kx250 91-2000, cfr250 14-current. both the road course and motocross tracks had over/unders so we would go though a tunnel, but the bikes were stock. like i said, look to other forms of racing for guidance, its obviously needed...

we dont have impba races here on the island. its "run what u brung". thats why i never build stock boats. we did run a couple spec classes at one time, box stock zenoah all purchased from the same place, dropped in and run and spec fe (same motor in any hull)

Better order those mufflers before they are out of "stock". Isn't that the only relevant use of the word "stock" in the tunnel world? From all the reading here b sport is sport not b stock. The mod guys should be frustrated with all the sport guys spending 1/2 and racing in 2x more on a weekend. This was my first full year racing a top speed 3 and an os v2. I had a great end of the season winning sport and mod tunnel at evansville shootout against 20+ tunnels.

With this rule change I think I will take the blue off my head and make it green to match my boat.

Not to be a buttinski, I gave this class up when my son turned 12, the year it was hatched.

This lends itself to my rant sometime ago re: too many classes = diluted entries at all races.

It won't be long and there will be a stock/slight mod tunnel class too !
default_ph34r.png
default_ph34r.png
default_biggrin.png

Chuck.,Aha.....got ya.. .......

Mic.. I even stated I dont think it will change anything.. the point is for some reasion the rules changed. or were "updated"...

Why.. to bring is OLD motor... parts.. lol

How about NEW motor parts.. If we dont start "getting a push" (OS that is) what WILL happen to our beloved class? The OS motor is the ONLY reasion that class is still raceing. Old motor parts wont make that any better.. Look where 7.5 is. It would take a NEW motor to get that class healty again.

Bottom line.. lets race!

Grim

Using the go-no-go gauge teardowns are not to be done. (Bob is your man on that one.. but)

The way I see it one cannot be protested using a go-no-go gauge. The motor meets the gauge.. IT IS leagle.

Grim
Go no go gauge.... Can't determine what is really done inside. One should be able to protest.. just saying...

So IF there is a performance gain by changing mufflers it should only tighten the field up a make for better racing.

Also IF someone could buy the osv1 for $200 or less and upgrade muffler. (Someone will machine a spacer to be stock appearing) that could bring more affordable boats to the class. It sure is fun with more competition.

Dan.. I wish it was as easy as it sounds..

Tim.. whats to protest if the motor make the gauge.... that somebody got beat? the point of the Go-NO-GO is to end it durring inspection.. BUT.. as I said.. this is Bobs deal.. I dont care all that much.

BTY.. for my K+B buddys.. I have a Keely turbo head (used) for sale.. turn off the color and your good for an exrta 5mph!

50 bucks.. let me know........I only have one.. (OK maybe two).. so when "its gone" its gone........

Grim

I am going to end my part in this by saying.

IMPBA sport tunnel, win or lose, (and as long as the weather and water is good), has provided the best, closest and most exciting racing I have ever been involved in.

I have seen races won by brute power, hard core boat speed, the right prop, the right line. I have seen boats of different builds, drivers of all ages ALL have a shot at a win. I have seen great runs fall short due to the smallest error. I have seen and heard hard core hydro and mono drivers hoot and holler during a close race.

As the numbers remain good.. What I don’t understand is “why this one” why not look closer at what we might be able to do to draw more racers. (Randy Rap, had this best under control). Move our efforts over to the B tunnel class and see what we can do about getting more participation in that class comes to mind. How about thinning down the herd of classes we have now. We all know we have way too many. Move our efforts in a direction that makes more sense.

Sport tunnel gets drug across the coals because it IS a great class. Its font of mind and very fun.. More must be even more fun, so it’s under constant fire.

All in all 2015 is going to be a great year for Nitro racing.

Lets race!

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:

Grim
Mike, I think the engines would still get tore down if someone filed a protest, to verify they were legal for the bore and stroke. They are still .21 engines!

Mike

For a guy who "doesn't care" you have more posts than anyone. Your open honesty is a refreshing distraction from all the bitchin' and moaning about changes that are meant to improve the quality and quantity of competitors at the races. I welcome all comments, positive and negative. All I ask is that everyone thinks before they type. Who knows, one of you may come up with the next great idea that could become a rule! I have some ideas myself.

Back