aquacraft .18

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff baham

did anyone find a replacement crank for the aquacraft. 18, i know os make the engine just wondering if i can use a different crank , mine is broken ,so i don't want to replace with the same thing.

I'd never heard much of guys breaking crank on them. If your breaking cranks you might have a bearing proublems.

Last edited by a moderator:
did anyone find a replacement crank for the aquacraft. 18, i know os make the engine just wondering if i can use a different crank , mine is broken ,so i don't want to replace with the same thing.
JEFF i will look tonight and see if i have a crank for one, if not i might have a good spare engine if you are intrested?

terry

O.S make that .18 for aquacraft & Duratrax both are the same as what I was told.

JEFF i will look tonight and see if i have a crank for one, if not i might have a good spare engine if you are intrested?
LOL terry----Pm's/email,s and the "for sale" section would be more the place for selling wouldnt you think??

i can get a crank from tower hobbies , i just don't want the same thing to happen again. i heard that the aqua craft cranks were breaking very easy.and also heard that they were weld together.

Jeff,

I have not broken any cranks on my original Aqua 18 yet after 3 years (knock on wood), but have broken cranks on the OS CVR-M 18 however, and unfortunately the crank on the CVR-M don't fit..

what are you running for Nitro%?

did you raise the compression (removed head shims)?

just asking, you could be getting pre detonation and instead of the rod breaking, the crank is taking the beating.

Dan.

I friend of mine used a cvr 15 crank in the aqu 18 and has pretty good success as far as I know.

Jeff,I have not broken any cranks on my original Aqua 18 yet after 3 years (knock on wood), but have broken cranks on the OS CVR-M 18 however, and unfortunately the crank on the CVR-M don't fit..

what are you running for Nitro%?

did you raise the compression (removed head shims)?

just asking, you could be getting pre detonation and instead of the rod breaking, the crank is taking the beating.

Dan.
dan i was running 40% nitro and i did remove the shim, head clr was .018 stock and when i removed the shm it became .010. soon as i removed the shim three laps later the crank broke.

soon as i removed the shim three laps later the crank broke.
I have heard of CVRMs breaking cranks too...and I wonder if it is due to removing the shims.

I always remove the shim in the AQ .18 engines AFTER break in, and as of yet (knock on wood) I have not broke a crank. I did have an AQ engine break a rod, but it never did really run right from the factory (broke during warrantee, so I sent it back for replacement). I have seen comments from others mentioning breaking the cranks...but really don't know what could be being done different to cause it (different batch of cranks??). Wonder if too small of a pipe could cause it...??? Most folks I run with run a 3.5 pipe, but I know some run a 2.5 pipe...are you running a stock pipe, or an after market?? If after market, which one?

Sean

pipe<<??? i ran the 2.5 never had any issues
Just a couple theories Mike...wondering out of those that HAVE broken cranks in AQ and CVRM engines, how many either removed the shim(s) or had a 2.5 pipe. Neither may have anything to do with it...just curious to see if they do.

Sean

soon as i removed the shim three laps later the crank broke.
I have heard of CVRMs breaking cranks too...and I wonder if it is due to removing the shims.

I always remove the shim in the AQ .18 engines AFTER break in, and as of yet (knock on wood) I have not broke a crank. I did have an AQ engine break a rod, but it never did really run right from the factory (broke during warrantee, so I sent it back for replacement). I have seen comments from others mentioning breaking the cranks...but really don't know what could be being done different to cause it (different batch of cranks??). Wonder if too small of a pipe could cause it...??? Most folks I run with run a 3.5 pipe, but I know some run a 2.5 pipe...are you running a stock pipe, or an after market?? If after market, which one?

Sean
i'm useing the aquacraft tunepipe with a 1/2 in cut off the header. stock engine with the shim removed, just don't know. plus i'm useing the y535 prop

The problem with the crank breaking is that it is not large enough for the kind of load you are trying to put on it. After everyone changes the pipe, bigger and better prop, 60%nitro, and no head shim. It is only a 8mm crank and the intake bore takes up most of that. Which only leaves a very thin area between the counter balance and the 8mm section. The radius in this area also is very small and does not help to support the counter balance. There are other engines out there with larger cranks that can handle the power. I am working on a GO engine at the moment and it has a 12mm crank. For the stock class you have no option. I would suggest spending some money into a larger crank motor for the mod class. You could always just run it the way it came out of the box but I know how that would go over. Nobody wants to go slow.

Mike

i broke mine be for no replacement for it it happen

ive seen a few people do it to mine broke because

turning to many rpm with 50% sidewinder and some

modds to my motor

The DuraTrax 18 crank should work in the AQ 18. That part # is DTXG0536. Tower price is $11.99. Interestingly, that's $2.50 less than the AQ 18 crankshaft.
JD
I'd asked Russ Willianson last year when I got my vegas and saw the duratrax motor and asked Russ about it and he'd confermed That I was corrected that the vegas and duratrax are the same motor.

The DuraTrax 18 crank should work in the AQ 18. That part # is DTXG0536. Tower price is $11.99. Interestingly, that's $2.50 less than the AQ 18 crankshaft.
JD
I'd asked Russ Willianson last year when I got my vegas and saw the duratrax motor and asked Russ about it and he'd confermed That I was corrected that the vegas and duratrax are the same motor.

then if they are the same than isnt the crank the same thing and it might break to

Hmmmmm........ I was thinking about making turbo plug heads with a little more compression for the AQU 18. Had it all programmed.

Looks like I just need to press the DELETE key! :lol:

I'm still wondering if theres proublems with the bearing on it,or bad tempering process to the cranks? I havent heard any of the car guys splitting cranks on the duratrax.18. maybe they done differently in the crank tempering process? Wondering if that crank can be retempered to make it stronger?

Back