aquacraft .18 vs o.s. .18 cvrmx

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
How much performance differernce is there between these two motors, perhaps in mph in the Miss Vegas? Im running the aquacraft .18 in mine and it runs fine... I removed the head shim and got rid of the one way bearing and it picked up a little bit....Im just trying to make up my mind if its worth 170 dollars to eventually stick a cvrmx in the boat.....I LOVE MY MISS VEGAS! Thanks, Bill

the AQU18 only put out a little over a horse (1.1) vs. the cvrm that puts out about 1.35 horses......and parts don't break on the cvrm like the AQU 18

AQ has never posted the numbers for their engine...but my guess would be more like .8 HP. One guy (that mods his engines) told me the inside of it looks like a CV engine. The .15 CV is listed at .68HP. Doing the math, and leaving all things equal, an increase of 20% in displacement...so adding 20% to the HP rating would get you .816 HP.

In short, the change from the AQ engine to the CVRM in my Miss Vegas took me from about 34MPH to close to 44 MPH with not much else changed (no mod to the bottom of the hull).

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sean, All i can say is WOW! 10 mph is a HUGE difference! If I get a cvrm, do have i have to purchase the o.s. flywheel, or will the aquacraft .18 flywheel fit on the cvrm? Also, will the stock tuned pipe work with the cvrm? what pipe are you using on your MV? Thanks! Bill P.S. Thanks for the input Guppy!

Be sure you get the MX version as the non pull start had some problems in the past. IF your picking one up from tower, they don't even sell the non pull start anymore.

Hi Sean, All i can say is WOW! 10 mph is a HUGE difference! If I get a cvrm, do have i have to purchase the o.s. flywheel, or will the aquacraft .18 flywheel fit on the cvrm? Also, will the stock tuned pipe work with the cvrm? what pipe are you using on your MV? Thanks! Bill P.S. Thanks for the input Guppy!
Dont use the OS flywheel. It is a larger diameter than the stock one, and may rub on the bottom of the hull, and will definately keep you from using a belt if your motor is in the stock location. If you have raised your engine for any reason, it might work fine.

The stock one is fine, but the problem with it is that the taper collet under it is made of soft metal (Brass?) and distorts. So after removing and installing it a couple times, the flywheel will no longer spin true.

The SV27 flywheel is cheap and a good alternative. The problem with it is that they only drilled a hole in one side of it. So...if you get a drill bit the same size as the hole and drill it all the way through, the flywheel will be closer to balanced and you will get less vibration. When I put it on stock all kinds of screws in my boat were coming loose...until I figured out that it was not balance due to the hole.

Sean

Be sure you get the MX version as the non pull start had some problems in the past. IF your picking one up from tower, they don't even sell the non pull start anymore.
The friend I run with and I both use the non-pullstart version. Personally, I have had no unexpected problems with it. I put about 4 gallons through it before a bearing let loose. As compared to the mileage I get from the AQ engines, that is pretty **** good.

I do agree, that it seems like a lot of folks do have problems with them...I have seen a couple broken cranks. One guy I know that had a broken crank had his shims removed. I also know of a guy that broke a rod...also no shims in his motor. I have no idea if this was a player or not...but my shims are still in.

Sean

I have them on a cvrm, tz and a couple of AQU18 motors and haven't come accross any that cause vibration other than centrifical force and they all have a hole on one side and isnt drilled through.....I was in error on the HP I know the probaot 18 has 1.1 so the AQU18 should be close to that.

The OS blue aluminum flywheel works perfect with a belt start ,find someone with a lathe that can turn it down for ya ;) also even turned down it still has more weight than the SV flywheel, yet less weight than the stock vegas flywheel.

100_0784.jpg

We broke 2 cranks on the non-pull start version with the shims still in.

this was however after 7 gallons.

Dan.

We broke 2 cranks on the non-pull start version with the shims still in.
this was however after 7 gallons.

Dan.
i have a few still for sale nib.. pm me and we can talk.. they are nice , i just us tz engines now, thanks

terry

Latest posts

Back