AOA-?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Templeton

Just wondering what some of you guys like for angle of attack on your riggers. Both oval boats and SAW.

Thanks

Don ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering what some of you guys like for angle of attack on your riggers. Both oval boats and SAW.
Thanks

Don ;)
On a Roadrunner style boat we run around 2.8.- 3.2 degrees attack with the right turn fin sponson about two tenths higher than the right . I have ran my 40 as high as 3.8 with SOME success, but that is NOT ideal for heatrace water with a buch of boats The higher you go the less stability more speed etc. etc. www.rcboat.com has a SUPER tech paper on setting up hydros for heat racing. I have no clue on straightaway set ups. :)

Don, for SAW more is better. I have been playing with AOA on my .12 boats lately and each increase in AOA has equaled more speed. I am up to around 8 or 9 degrees right now. The boat is faster, launches easier (although they have always launched really easy...just set it in the water and go), turn better (for a SAW boat). It does everything better EXCEPT go over waves!!!! If you want to play with a smooth water (I mean smooth like a mirror...NO waves, ripples or chop) SAW boat don't be afraid to try lots of AOA, if you are looking to get more consistent runs on a variety of water conditions keep it down.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

I've been running with 4.5 degrees and 2.5 dihedral both sides. That seems to be pretty good in race type water at least for a 12 but I did seem to have a problem with speed in very hot glass smooth water. That could have been caused by the 1640 prop that I usually run. The boat launched with just a plop as usual but at speed it just felt sticky. Right now I'm in the process of designing a couple sets of new sponsons. I have two other sets but they both have the same AOA and I'm just trying to figure which way to go.

Thanks for the input,

Don ;)

hey i have a noob question, What is angle of attack? is it the angle of the bottom of the front sponson and how much it angles up when sittin on a setup board or flat surface? :blink:

thanks

brad

Hi Brad ...AOA is what you said...correct.

I´ve been playing with 3,2-3,8 on my oval boats(80-90) and 4,5 -5,2 for saw. I agree with Glenn ...experimenting more aoa for saw on flat water conditions as speed increases as well.

Gill

i run with heavy boats , and often run more angle then recommended, and have been getting briliant results ...

if you boat is too light you might have to keep the front down ....

if it hops then kick your strut down neg first , and if that dosent help then reduce your angle a little bit to stop the hop...

generally

keep kicking the ride angle UP it up until you actually blow off the water , then back it off a wee notch like a mm or so , then your looking good .

all the american boats i have here run best with shims under the front booms ...???

if the boat hasent ever blown off then you are loosing potential speed and may be able to turn bigger props with shorter pipes that you could run .

so many boats run SO locked down and never skate across the water like they really could

Imoo

for eg...

a ff 21 with around 9 deg on the front , and a v9 is a scary fast boat ... but it shouldnt work

Jason

Also remember the balance point too. Once that is right then you can mess with AOA.
Hey Norm,

When you say balance point, are you talking about the relationshop of weight on the strut when the boat is sitting on it's front TEs or are you talking about the horizontal CG-( balance point of the whole boat ) ?

Don :huh:

Back