antenna connections??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_laxmasta2039

can anyone tell me how to connect the reciever wire to an antenna [an antenna.....sounds weird :) ] ??

my other boats just have tubes for the actual reciever wire to go up inside, but this antenna is an actual metal rod that attaches to the boat.

thanks in advance,

Joe

If its the type with the eyelet at the top you put the reciever wire through the eyelet and fasten the wire to the length of the antenna. If its just a piece of piano wire you can simply fasten it with a piece of shrink tubing. I used to use flexible cell phone and CB coiled antennas on my boats by soldering the reciever wire to the antenna lead. This seemed to be frowned on but I never experienced any trouble. I've also never raced at a sanctioned event so don't even know if this is legal or not.

Atious,

it's just a standard peice of piano wire from what i can see....i thought soldering might work but i didnt know if solder conducted radio waves. do i strip the reciever wire then solder it to the antenna?

Joe

Hey Joe,

Years ago, before the plastic car antenna tubes came out all the boats were raced with piano wire. You either soldered the wire to it or made

a small fixture with a set screw for the piano wire and a bolt the went through the radio box and the antenna wire hooked onto it. The only

problem I can remember was the piano wire breaking off. If I were you though I'd get a new flexable antenna just to be safe.

Don

Solder will pass radio waves fine. Most transmitting and recieving antennas are soldered at the base connection anyway. I've never had a problem and have actually even increased transmitting distances with experimenting with differant antenna types. But like I said, I'm a shadow racer on mountain lakes and ponds. I have no knowledge of rules and regs and you should look to some of the racers here for what you can and can't do.

Lax! Dump it and get a tube type mast. Drill a hole in the top of your radio box lid. Put a pressure nipple in the hole with some epoxy, slide your antenna wire thru it, and seal the antenna to the nipple with fuel line and zip ties. Most RC car masts come with a cap, too. This is the best way to go. If you flip you won't rip the lid of your radio box either. A piano wire may do this.

Hammer

I agree with hammer, don't cut or add to the Rx antenna. It was tuned at the factory for best results. However, I don't like mounting anything to my radio box lid.

-MikeP

Tube type antenna is for sure the way to go. I have at times cut the antenna wire inside the radio compartment and soldered RX connectors on so that I could unplug it and remove the lid without pulling the wire out of the tube. Also you can run the wire through the rear of the radio compartment and up the tube.

When we were running with piano wire our lids were mounted with rubber seals and 4/40 machine screws. : :) Didn't worry to much about them pulling off! ;D

I agree with hammer, don't cut or add to the Rx antenna. It was tuned at the factory for best results. However, I don't like mounting anything to my radio box lid.

-MikeP
I have a differnt view on this..if I mount the antenna to the radio lid then i can not forget to take it with me...lol

Grim

guys,

the way it was setup when it came there was a flexible rubber tube going up out of the radio box, completely sealed...the only reason i didnt just run the Rx wire up through this is my Rx wire is only about 4". [long story]

i ran the wire up through the rubber tube and then sealed aroung the bottom with Plumber's Goop, it is completely watertight....that means my only option to keep a watertight radio compartment is by attaching the Rx wire to the antenna, the only thing i dont like about soldering it is the only way to seperate the lid from the reciever is unsoldering.

Joe

If your antenna wire out of your receiver is 4 inches long you are in trouble !! Total length form recvr to tip should be very close to 18 inches. I would consider buying the Hayes antenna, which uses a 1 inch antenna wire, and corresponding connectors. I have used these for years on all boats and have had good success..

If your antenna wire out of your receiver is 4 inches long you are in trouble !! Total length form recvr to tip should be very close to 18 inches. I would consider buying the Hayes antenna, which uses a 1 inch antenna wire, and corresponding connectors. I have used these for years on all boats and have had good success..
Y 8) 8)ep this works for me toooooooo 8) 8)

Bob

well i went outside in the snow and ice about 300 yards from the house and asked my sister to stand next to the boat and tell me if anything happened- it worked fine with no glitches with the previously-described setup!

thanks all for your help.

Joe

The receiver antenna wire MUST be a certain length depending on your setup. (Slightly less important with PCM....imperative on AM)

If you use a piano-wire setup (like I normally do) just coil your wire up, tie it, and stuff it in your radio box. (or cut it shorter if this will be your permanent solution) I have a (super-quality!!) alligator clip on my wire (antenna wire that is!!)...and just clip it onto a small hook I bent in the piano wire which is exposed inside the rear compartment. It has never failed me.

You can operate on almost any length of antenna....but it is directly proportional to range and reliability....with the 'factory' length achieving the best range and performance. I don't recommend risking your model on a 4" wire. (Unless you are not overly attached to it)

Don't cheap out on the alligator clips either!! For the extra $0.50, you can get one with a monster spring in it...which will never come off unexpectedly. Also, cheap ones may vibrate...which will ultimately cause RF noise. (Use a rubber band around it ..or a piece of hose over the tip once attached for even more protection)

Hope this helps...

Back