3/16 shaft

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew St. Amant

I have a hull I want to try for stock class mono the only problem is it currently has a 3/16 shaft first off it was originally a 60 mono so I don't know why it even has a 3/16 shaft in the first place but it does so will this work or do I need a 1/4 in shaft

You will need to replace with 1/4. It might make it for a bit, but soon it will break and sink your prop to the bottom. Bite the bullet now and save some heart ache.
Mike

With a 65/67, a 3/16(.187) is fine. I've got a boat that is running the same shaft as when I got it back in 2013 using a CMB 67.
As far as how to remove the tube, it depends how it is secured in the hull.
If it's epoxied in, heating(with a heat gun of some sort) will soften the epoxy, letting you pull the tube out, probably with a bit of twisting.
If it's held in with RTV, it's easiest to just cut the RTV with an Exacto knife.
Any other configuration we would probably need to see pictures of

It's epoxy I remember someone telling me they hooked car battery to etheir end of a stuffing tube and pulled it that way but that kinda scares me

I’ve removed shaft tubes in the past by heating the outside section of the tube with a heat gun, being careful to aim it away from the hull. When it gets properly hot it can be pulled out with pliers or similar

I have a hull I want to try for stock class mono the only problem is it currently has a 3/16 shaft first off it was originally a 60 mono so I don't know why it even has a 3/16 shaft in the first place but it does so will this work or do I need a 1/4 in shaft

I have used .187" shafts on 67/80 monos, cats, and hydros with no issues....BUT!....that was in the past and today's engines, higher rake props, and the desire to use higher nitro percentages has changed the equation, for the most part.

Ask yourself what your true intentions are with the boat...if you plan on racing it in events frequently and aggressively, by all means change it over to .250" setup.
It's really not that difficult.

Good luck!

Several ways to remove.
Hole will have to be larger with 1/4" shaft if you only have a dremal just use cut off wheel or debur bit. You can get fiberglass resin and cloth at local auto parts store.
Be sure to scuff the new box tube good to allow for a secure fit. If you use the barrel sander from dremal kit use the coarse. It will etch the brass for best adheasion.
You will want to have tube larger than the one used for the shaft. This allows you to slip it out if needed to change for different set up. You should cut hole a bit larger than tubing. Use a scrap piece of shaft and put in collet then bush it to size of box tube and leave box tube long out of bottom of boat and an inch or so on inside of boat dependingbon how much room you have. Glass ectched box tube into boat. Next day after it is hard remove the bushings and scrap shaft used to keep alignment. cut the box tube off and blend it to bottom of boat. Now fit your shaft tube.
Paint or repair patch on bottom.
You will need to add some support to the shaft tube after you have fitted.
Just etch it with barrel sander and cloth it to botto of boat you can also use some wood under the tube when you glass it in.
Probably TMI its been done like this for years.

2 cents

Back