2700 IMPBA Members

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merging is not just membership growth but it will help with covering administrative and insurance costs

I think the last Treasurer Report it indicated that IMPBA is requiring withdrawal of money from reserves to cover expenses. If this is the case IMPBA can’t continue to do so too long.

The remedy will be to raise dues on the membership or combine resources with NAMBA to reduce costs per membership.

I am a Life Member of IMPBA along several other folks

Life Membership came to be because IMPBA was broke. When Bill Zuber became President there was NO MONEY.
He came up with the idea of Life Membership to generate capital to keep IMPBA going. I think a Life Membership was $400.00.

So if incoming revenues can’t keep pace with costs, what are the options?

I checked the August Roostertail:

Revenues are down $6528.00
Deficit $2183.50
Reserves $54,310
This is for the 3rd quarter.

So IMPBA is DEFINITELY NOT BROKE.
However there are concerns if the membership does not increase.

Undoubtedly, a rookie class tailored to newcomers should be a requirement for all districts. Imagine if all clubs in a district offered up a single JAE with a pull start .21 to allow people to test them out? Now you have access for onlookers. I remember growing up and racing against guys in Sport B tunnel who had ran it for more years than I was alive. I took it as a challenge and wanted to do better, but I also came from a family who had raced for years. A newcomer could definitely be disheartened to always feel second rate. Why districts can’t keep a set of rtr boats available on a nationwide scale seems almost silly, considering the amount of electric hulls available to the masses.
Now as far as age group you attract, me being a 22 year old now, I can tell you almost certainly in my experience you will be hard pressed to win over someone from 16-24. I’ve invited friends out, let them watch and even drive and they aren’t interested as much. Why would they be? Their parents aren’t interested and thus the financial aspect falls on them, a lot can not afford it.
The age group you win over is the late 20’s, early 30’s. You gain both them and their potential future kids to raise into the hobby. My dad is a prime example of this. Me and my brother were given an ultimatum; earn your grades and you earn your boats. We knew how well he did and how much fun he had and this was our enticement.
No question, go out to large scale boating events and set up camp. I promise, working them for my tv job, you find people who would love to compete but can’t afford that scale. They can afford RC however. I believe the Dallas RC boat club does this at the F1 tunnel events and the SOWEGA club has done this at drag events. Heck, you even attract ex large scale racers like Jimmy Johnson.
Something needs to be done. Give big credit to ZippKitsnfor offering cheaper options and Novarossi USA for catching up to the times and offering easy to access equipment as a one stop shop. But more is left to be done. I’d love to see Zipp offering RTR options on their riggers, scooping up pullstart .21’s off of eBay and allowing another one stop shop. Or more manufacturers stepping into the digital age, because as everyone said, you will undoubtedly always have a cellphone and Google to look this stuff up when you catch a cool video on YouTube.

Let' be clear. What we have been doing is NOT WORKING. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. So, repeat after me, "Recruit, recruit, recruit". When the army needed more people, they recruited them. They offered them something that was meaningful - to some it was a career, to some it meant the possibility of a college education at the expense of the government, to some, it was a way to find some purpose. Our club has been shrinking for years as the older members aged out or passed away. I think the median age of our active members is somewhere above 65. It has not appeared to me that our club has done any sort of recruiting since the 90's, when they used to hold mall events where people could see and even try out some boats for themselves. Sadly, insurance and other well-meaning regulations put an end to that practice, but even more sad was that nothing was ever proposed to replace it. From my viewpoint, as a "somewhat younger" member in the late 90's, I suggested things like announcing our races in the local paper, trying to get some TV coverage or other promotion, as well as several other ideas that fell on totally deaf ears. The prevailing opinion was, "we have plenty of members to put on races, and folks coming from other clubs fill in the gaps". Well, friends, that "blind eye" attitude has come around and bit us in the proverbial butt, to the point where we have only an occasional "other club" person coming to our races and just the surviving members of our own club who can still stand up and race. Try running a race where there are just 10 drivers and classes where there are 6 boats running, 3-boat heats? Not much fun. Our races have shrunk from 2 days and 5 rounds of heats to one day and 3 rounds. In furtherance of the, "we'll be OK if we continue to do nothing" policy, the donated prizes that we used to give out for high points in each class, Tee shirts, and other small rewards, no longer exist. What this says to prospective joiners is "this is not a club, it is a bunch of crochety old (mostly ) men who aren't the least bit interested in me". Getting back to my mention of the army above, the offer of "something in it for the recruit" got results. We offer next to nothing "for the recruit" and haven't done so for a long time. It is about time that MEMBERS became RECRUITERS and "groups of guys playing with their boats" became actual clubs again. Regular meetings, planning sessions, work sessions to improve the pond, solicited donations from local merchants, advertising in local papers and maybe a little TV coverage are all things that COST LITTLE OR NOTHING to the club and could offer a means of raising the club's profile in the community and attracting more members, especially in areas like ours where the pond is hidden away from public view (and cell phone service, and motels and restaurants... but I digress). Looking at the new approach to putting together a starter boat with a cheap car motor, a club could CONSIDER offering such a setup to a prospect at an even further reduced cost by subsidizing say, half of the cost. making it somewhere around a $100 investment to get started. And, let's not forget to re-instate the novice class and special practice times, so the prospects can learn how to run the boat before having to race the boat.

Undoubtedly, a rookie class tailored to newcomers should be a requirement for all districts. Imagine if all clubs in a district offered up a single JAE with a pull start .21 to allow people to test them out? Now you have access for onlookers. I remember growing up and racing against guys in Sport B tunnel who had ran it for more years than I was alive. I took it as a challenge and wanted to do better, but I also came from a family who had raced for years. A newcomer could definitely be disheartened to always feel second rate. Why districts can’t keep a set of rtr boats available on a nationwide scale seems almost silly, considering the amount of electric hulls available to the masses.
Now as far as age group you attract, me being a 22 year old now, I can tell you almost certainly in my experience you will be hard pressed to win over someone from 16-24. I’ve invited friends out, let them watch and even drive and they aren’t interested as much. Why would they be? Their parents aren’t interested and thus the financial aspect falls on them, a lot can not afford it.
The age group you win over is the late 20’s, early 30’s. You gain both them and their potential future kids to raise into the hobby. My dad is a prime example of this. Me and my brother were given an ultimatum; earn your grades and you earn your boats. We knew how well he did and how much fun he had and this was our enticement.
No question, go out to large scale boating events and set up camp. I promise, working them for my tv job, you find people who would love to compete but can’t afford that scale. They can afford RC however. I believe the Dallas RC boat club does this at the F1 tunnel events and the SOWEGA club has done this at drag events. Heck, you even attract ex large scale racers like Jimmy Johnson.
Something needs to be done. Give big credit to ZippKitsnfor offering cheaper options and Novarossi USA for catching up to the times and offering easy to access equipment as a one stop shop. But more is left to be done. I’d love to see Zipp offering RTR options on their riggers, scooping up pullstart .21’s off of eBay and allowing another one stop shop. Or more manufacturers stepping into the digital age, because as everyone said, you will undoubtedly always have a cellphone and Google to look this stuff up when you catch a cool video on YouTube.
Brandon, I agree with what you say. I don't know what district you live in but here in IMPBA D1, I calculate there are about 65 million people living, and there are maybe 3 or 4 active clubs. Our club has about 20 active members, of whom as few as half turn up for races. So when you say "if all the clubs in a district..." imagine what we face, trying to put on a decent race.

When I was designing for AquaCraft Russ and I agreed putting NAMBA, IMPBA and AMPBA on the decal sheets was necessary. We also listed contact info in some of the manuals I wrote. I get it.. its not prefect BUT.. we need MORE of that.. MUCH MORE.. do you see that with the proboat line of products? If we can not tell them "at the hobby shop" then we need to inform them with advertising.

WE NEED MORE!

Grim

I always said that I wanted not a bigger piece of the pie, but a bigger pie...
The more people we have, the better for everyone. It is critical that we all try to grow the sport any way we can.
A few years ago, I came up with a "guest" pass for new people interested in trying an RC boat.
It allows them to legally run a boat on an IMPBA pond, with a member present. We used them with great success in Cincinnati, gaining members with just one event.

How many members even know that this exists? It is a great tool. Use it!

Attachments

• GF.jpg
    GF.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 38
There is a similar thread in another forum that asked the same thing. This is what I posted in that thread:
I don't think it's really the cost as much as two other factors:
1) How are prospective newcomers treated when they show up at the pond? I've seen people show up at the pond with questions about the sport that were ignored or told to move away because of "safety requirements" in such a way that they leave. Not saying it was done rudely or anything of the sort, just that the people didn't feel welcome.
2) How are the new members treated? There are times that I have felt like an outsider at my own club. There have been periods when I wouldn't go to a race because of how I was treated by others. That said, I have had others that would go out of their way to help me out with my boat without being asked(which was much appreciated by the way).

We all need to work at how we represent the hobby and club we belong to. The way WE are perceived goes a long way toward the health of the club and the hobby. Another thing that CAN make a difference is how we interact with prospective boaters in the forums. I try to help out others as much as possible when it comes to learning about the boats. I've had many that were on the verge of selling off and leaving become people that will look me up as well as other boaters set up places for me to come run with them (yes, I actually had people in Missouri, Indiana and New York set up fun run days so I could run with them as well as a racer from New Zealand show up at a local race just to meet me and the wife after chatting through a web forum). These kind of things are what makes the sport/hobby fun and keeps it going.

Some good points have been made here. I have seen couples bring there kids to the pond and some are just taking advantage of some free entertainment for their children and others were looking for something to get their kids and young adults interested in besides playing video games all day. I have on MANY occasions seen them leave because (like some have said already) everybody is too busy working on their boat to talk to anybody.

When all they hear is a bunch of old farts cursing, swearing and arguing with the CD and acting a fool because they got cut off and now they have no chance of winning a $2.00 particle board trophy. This kind of behavior does not show well on our behalf when someone is trying to decide if they want to hang out with any of us.

I think that if we are going to appear to be the kind of people that young potentially new members would like to hang out with we are going to have to clean up our act in the pits, on the driving tower and in our tents and trailers. When people come around and hear all this going on and also see some drinking too they may watch a little bit but they are not going to hang around with behavior like this going on. I think that this should be TOP PRIORITY for host clubs and we need to get this type of behavior out of our hobby to ever have a chance of attracting new members young or old.

-Carl

Amen, Carl. We don't see much drinking and cursing , or too much yelling at the CD, but I have seen races where there were spectators milling about who asked questions and got one-word or curt answers. "What fuel do you run?" "Nitro." What is nitro?" It's different from gas." "How much does it costs?" "Uh, I dunno." and so forth. Very little or no attempt to engage with the spectators or impart any real information. Perhaps one reason is that there are so few racers at any one race that everybody has to be "involved" all the time, leaving very little time to deal with questions, but I think some of it is just rudeness. As the old line goes "Go 'way kid, don't bother me" (apologies to W. C. Fields). We need to pass along as much information as possible to help de-mystify our hobby to get people past the point of "I don't know anything about it and it scares me."
The "guest pass" idea is simple and elegant. It should be made officially legal. How about a one day "Try out an R/C racing boat for free" event?

How about this idea? One day event to try out a real R/C boat using inexpensive and easy to operate 3.5 tunnels with car motors? Win-Win. They are not inherently as fast as some other racing boats, but, hey, these are beginners. They look to be quite durable setups, so a few mishaps shouldn't be a total financial disaster, as might be the caswe with a boat that has a motor (just the motor) that cost $500.
If a few club members worked to put together 3-4 inexpensive tunnels and the club bought the rest of the parts, the payoff could be a few new members. What's so bad about that?

How about this idea? One day event to try out a real R/C boat using inexpensive and easy to operate 3.5 tunnels with car motors? Win-Win. They are not inherently as fast as some other racing boats, but, hey, these are beginners. They look to be quite durable setups, so a few mishaps shouldn't be a total financial disaster, as might be the caswe with a boat that has a motor (just the motor) that cost $500.
If a few club members worked to put together 3-4 inexpensive tunnels and the club bought the rest of the parts, the payoff could be a few new members. What's so bad about that?
Bingo, we have an army of tunnels that could serve that purpose. If each club held one or two to run, that’s an easy door in to allowing spectators to run.
I think Carl and crew actually keep a tunnel with an old KB gold head ready to run for spectators at their pond.

I dont know if this is relevant but we had a race last weekend. Public was invited and TOLERATED! This weekend a few club members are meeting 2 newbies at the lake to help them run their new rc boats. 1 has a ss mono and the other has 2 gas cats and a gas mono. They both plan to join IMPBA and our club and race next year. Thats a 15% increase per year. We got 2 new members last year. We try not to talk down to them (hydro junkie) and we, or I will race fewer boats to help them along. 1 has a daughter that wants to race. Im gonna let her try my b mono.

WHATS THE PROBLEM AGAIN?

WES,

Last weeks race was one of the best races I have been to in my 15 or so years playing with these toys. You, your sons, and ALL of the racers at last weeks race has what it takes to sustain and grow this hobby as you are in your previous post.

From my perspective, It was all good people with excellent sportsmanship.

I had at least half a dozen spectators in the pits asking questions and had some nice conversations.

And I was over a few times!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2020 is a good year to sit back and figure out how to live in a civilized world and value the things we do have - most importantly each other.

Merging is not just membership growth but it will help with covering administrative and insurance costs

I think the last Treasurer Report it indicated that IMPBA is requiring withdrawal of money from reserves to cover expenses. If this is the case IMPBA can’t continue to do so too long.

The remedy will be to raise dues on the membership or combine resources with NAMBA to reduce costs per membership.

I am a Life Member of IMPBA along several other folks

Life Membership came to be because IMPBA was broke. When Bill Zuber became President there was NO MONEY.
He came up with the idea of Life Membership to generate capital to keep IMPBA going. I think a Life Membership was $400.00.

So if incoming revenues can’t keep pace with costs, what are the options?
Doc I was the President but the Lifetime membership was not my Idea it was a few members that approached about it and I put it before the board for approval.

Back