• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Custom Pistons

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Christy

Guys,

I am looking into purchasing some piston material for personal use. Unfortunatly, the minimum order is considerably more than I really need, for myself, at the moment. I thought I would see if there would be any interest in custom pistons or new pistons for old sleeves. I have the required equipment and I am more than capable of holding the tolerances expected. The material is either going to be CE-17 or RSA-431 (or 444), which are 30% silicon aluminum, the perfect material for our pistons. All I would need is the sleeve and preferrably the piston to be replaced (if possible). I'm not sure exactly what the material is going to cost me, depending of if I can get multiple sizes (diameters) within the minimum order of if a minimum is required of each size, but I was thinking somewhere in the $50-65 range, maybe less if in multiples.

Any takers? I know all you Picco guys are looking for options here..........

Email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I am looking into purchasing some piston material for personal use. Unfortunatly, the minimum order is considerably more than I really need, for myself, at the moment. I thought I would see if there would be any interest in custom pistons or new pistons for old sleeves. I have the required equipment and I am more than capable of holding the tolerances expected. The material is either going to be CE-17 or RSA-431 (or 444), which are 30% silicon aluminum, the perfect material for our pistons. All I would need is the sleeve and preferrably the piston to be replaced (if possible). I'm not sure exactly what the material is going to cost me, depending of if I can get multiple sizes (diameters) within the minimum order of if a minimum is required of each size, but I was thinking somewhere in the $50-65 range, maybe less if in multiples.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
I might be interested in pistons for a couple tired old Picco .45s.

Guys,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
I might be interested in pistons for a couple tired old Picco .45s.

Brad,

Likewise for me. Most likely a blue and blackhead. May be tempted for a CMB 90 as well. I know your products will be top notch.

John

Guys,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad,I'm in for Picco Pistons.Keep me posted.

Brad do you have any rods for a EXR picco 67-80. What are the prices?

Guys,

It looks like I'll be ordering material in the next couple days. I just need to decide what sizes to get. As soon as the material comes in, I will contact those in need directly, as well as posting here. You can then send the P/S's to be refitted. I will make the pistons in the order they arrive, not in the order interest was expressed.

Just as a side note:

I am not going to get into doing sleeves, at least not right now. If the sleeve is damaged, I can't help you. If you send me a good sleeve, I can give you a good fit.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Guys,

Well, the material is ordered and I'm awaiting the invoice. GOD, this is going to hurt............... :rolleyes:

After getting a confirmation of pricing and cutting a few dummy pistons, I've got a real good idea what all is involved with making them, the cost is going to be $55 USD per piston under 23mm in diameter and $65 for anything between 23 and 33mm. The cost variance is based on the sizes available and the amount of machining involved to hollow them out.

Since my "boating" fund is getting shallow and this material is going to dry it up and turn it into a dry lake bed, I thought I'd throw this out:

I'll cut the cost by $10 per piston and cover shipping for any pre-paid orders in the next week. There will be some waiting involved with this, though, as the material will take three weeks to get after the invoice is settled, and that won't happen until.........

So far, I think I've proven myself good on my word for delivering goods bought from me, so hopefully, this won't scare anybody.......

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

And i can back up this , i have dealt with Brad and nothing else then a good deal !

Best Regards ,

( sorry Brad , not interested in a piston but i don't think u'll mind this reply :) )

Bart Drieghe

I had no problems get parts from Brad and the parts are no. one in my book.

Brad, I do need some parts.

Dave Roach

Guys,

Well, the material is ordered and I'm awaiting the invoice. GOD, this is going to hurt............... :rolleyes:

After getting a confirmation of pricing and cutting a few dummy pistons, I've got a real good idea what all is involved with making them, the cost is going to be $55 USD per piston under 23mm in diameter and $65 for anything between 23 and 33mm. The cost variance is based on the sizes available and the amount of machining involved to hollow them out.

Since my "boating" fund is getting shallow and this material is going to dry it up and turn it into a dry lake bed, I thought I'd throw this out:

I'll cut the cost by $10 per piston and cover shipping for any pre-paid orders in the next week. There will be some waiting involved with this, though, as the material will take three weeks to get after the invoice is settled, and that won't happen until.........

So far, I think I've proven myself good on my word for delivering goods bought from me, so hopefully, this won't scare anybody.......

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Brad,

For those that committed to getting pistons from you, may I suggest you provide your desired payment methods and information to us that want them. Paypal, check, MO, etc. Address, etc. I know you are good for it. Just need the info.

John

Brad, I may be interested but I've got some newbie type questions here. I've got a K&B .82 marine that I got taken for when I bought it off of ebay :rolleyes: :angry: . The engine is almost new looking from outside but it looks like a previous owner replaced the piston and sleeve with a completely worn out combo. The compression is low, of course. Nothing like my little used, older OPS .65 or my brand new K&B .67. Finding a new piston and sleeve for the .82 is close to impossible and when I do, the price is, well.... :eek: !

When you make the new piston, will it be an exact match of my current piston but just ever-so-slightly larger for a tighter fit in my sleeve :unsure: ? I really don't want any hassles with mismatched parts. I'm not a racer-just a run for fun type of boater. I was told by a long time boater that I could just add an ounce or two of extra oil to my fuel for a little more compression. As I said, I'm not a racer so maybe the extra oil may be the way for me to go?

Thanks for reading this! Danny

Brad, I may be interested but I've got some newbie type questions here. I've got a K&B .82 marine that I got taken for when I bought it off of ebay :rolleyes: :angry: . The engine is almost new looking from outside but it looks like a previous owner replaced the piston and sleeve with a completely worn out combo. The compression is low, of course. Nothing like my little used, older OPS .65 or my brand new K&B .67. Finding a new piston and sleeve for the .82 is close to impossible and when I do, the price is, well.... :eek: !

When you make the new piston, will it be an exact match of my current piston but just ever-so-slightly larger for a tighter fit in my sleeve :unsure: ? I really don't want any hassles with mismatched parts. I'm not a racer-just a run for fun type of boater. I was told by a long time boater that I could just add an ounce or two of extra oil to my fuel for a little more compression. As I said, I'm not a racer so maybe the extra oil may be the way for me to go?

Thanks for reading this! Danny

Danny,

More oil really will not restore compression at all. The piston and sleeve are worn too much to fit tight enough for good compression. You have two realistic choices: Replace the piston or pinch/compress the sleeve to get back the compression. What Brad is offering is an excellent buy and is the best choice. A better than factory piston that will last longer at a cheaper price. He will need both the old piston and sleeve to make the new piston to exactly fit the existing sleeve. He is a master machinist and will get it right.

John

John,

How right you are. The less info I make you guys extract from me, the more I'll sell. My preferred payment method is money order, but I'll take a personal check. Unfortunately, those of you who don't already have it will have to contact me directly for mailing info. [email protected]

Danny,

The new piston will be a proper fit, not to worry. It will be tight when you get it and will require the expected break-in procedure. Due to the durability of the material, this break-in time will be longer than normally expected, but well worth the time and effort. Once you get it broken in, it will last nearly forever, excluding some sort of "incident".

As for additional oil "fixing" you compression........... Not really. It may help in the beginning stages of a piston wearing out, but not for long. Like John said, if the piston is worn to the point where it is obviously lacking compression, it is too far gone for such a simple fix.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Guys,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Due to the durability of the material, this break-in time will be longer than normally expected, but well worth the time and effort. Once you get it broken in, it will last nearly forever, excluding some sort of "incident".
Brad, I gather that its the piston that wears out and not the sleeve :unsure: ? My worn out K&B .82 sleeve looks like it is completely polished-shiny. I have a new K&B .67 and it has hone marks inside the sleeve. My little-used, old OPS .65 has the same honing marks.

Guys,

I now (finally!) have the material in my little grubbies. I will be cutting a piston or two for my MAC21 tomorrow and get it in the oven tomorrow night for heat cycling. After finishing it and fitting it to the sleeve, I will be running it in to see how it goes. Once I know for sure what this material is going to dothrough heat cycling, I'll be cutting pistons a filling orders already in. Anybody who has been waitng for this point to order, now is the time. Cost is unchanged from above. Contact me directly at [email protected] or call me at (937)859-0858.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Back