Zenoah methanol conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to build a pair of inline rcmks with modded zenoah heads and mod wyk 33 carbys ,I want to build to suit methanol fuel has anyone converted gas engines to methanol ,any advice would be good.

David.
Seeing as you won't be racing it you can add some Nitro to the Meth and that will liven it up, start with 6%.

guys,

Not enough bang for the buck or effort. Without going into a two hour dissertation...............Zenoah engines are piston port and therefore don't convert to alky with results worth the trouble. Port timing is too critical and flow is a huge issue without being able to seal the induction cycle. You'd need to fashon a rotor disk or reed cup into the case to seal the induction to make it work. Doesn't matter how hard you squeeze it if there's nothing up there to squeeze.

put gas in it and go to the pond!

gh
Well it seems this conversion may be useless some of you are for it but most seem against it... I can infact get reeds made for this but even so I may still just stick with gas anyway, MXNERD the 20:1 ratio is just what I have been told by an engine builder...Considering the engines will be enclosed under the cowl, I guess I was thinking I could have the engines to run 50-100 Degrees cooler on Methanol and may get a little more bang in the process ,I will run it on Methanol once and see what happens and see what comparison there is to gas if any at all,stay tuned....

MXNERD, your video above, your bike appears to be way under powered in comparison to the newer bikes.

MXNERD, your video above, your bike appears to be way under powered in comparison to the newer bikes.
Yes Rodney it is when you take into account it is only 100cc compared to the 250s and 450s that it was running against. :) )

guys,

Not enough bang for the buck or effort. Without going into a two hour dissertation...............Zenoah engines are piston port and therefore don't convert to alky with results worth the trouble. Port timing is too critical and flow is a huge issue without being able to seal the induction cycle. You'd need to fashon a rotor disk or reed cup into the case to seal the induction to make it work. Doesn't matter how hard you squeeze it if there's nothing up there to squeeze.

put gas in it and go to the pond!

gh
Well it seems this conversion may be useless some of you are for it but most seem against it... I can infact get reeds made for this but even so I may still just stick with gas anyway, MXNERD the 20:1 ratio is just what I have been told by an engine builder...Considering the engines will be enclosed under the cowl, I guess I was thinking I could have the engines to run 50-100 Degrees cooler on Methanol and may get a little more bang in the process ,I will run it on Methanol once and see what happens and see what comparison there is to gas if any at all,stay tuned....

Is the comp ratio total swept area or corrected from top of exhaust port ?

Steve i would say with some certainty that his 20:1 compression ratio is not trapped .cr but swept

That would be a very small head volume to make 20:1 trapped .cr
exactly greg you would need to squeeze it down head vol squish and most likley it wont be upto that . this is a thing they say commonly with engine b.m.e.p = bad motors eat pistons.

You can only go so tight with the head clearance on theses Eng or the piston will slap the head at RPM.

The way to get some more CR is lowering the EX timing.

If you cut the bottom of the jug then cut some off the piston top it will lower the Ex timing giving higher trapped CR.

Just adjust your transfers to get a 30% blow down after this is done.

The transfers will be a lower timing number.may end up at 120 or lower.

Putting a reed on the intake will help hold the charge in the case and give a strong pulse to the cly when the lower transfers finally open.

It will give real good mid range power. May not rev like a high timer. but it will pull a stump.

Big props for a big boat!! will run cooler also.

This will make the WT-499 come in to it's own with It's smaller size by lowering the power band.

The WT-499 will not flow enough for high revs. So lower the power band.

O and have fun trying to pull start them. :lol:

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back