YouTube Video of GP Hydroplane running with F1 and F2s

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm at a loss as to why that limited was on the water with the tunnels to begin with. On the oval course, the limited hull had such an advantage it was totally unfair. Now if the boats had been on a standard "M" course the tunnels also run on, that limited would have been in a world of trouble

I'm at a loss as to why that limited was on the water with the tunnels to begin with. On the oval course, the limited hull had such an advantage it was totally unfair. Now if the boats had been on a standard "M" course the tunnels also run on, that limited would have been in a world of trouble

I have seen a ton of both OPC and Inboard races since I was in dippers. Being that I was born into a boat racing family. I have yet to see the OPC guy's ever run a "M" course. To say that the GP hydro had an advantage is crazy. They can not leave the beach like a OPC can on a jetty/modified lemans start or even corner as well as the tunnels.

As to why he was on the course with the tunnels. It is not uncommon for a local Inboard club to invite a local OPC club to an event and vise versa. And at the end of the day they run a fun heat called the Grand Prix. The two local clubs that used to be here in MN did it quite a bit. We would do clock starts though. You should have seen them tunnel guy's try to time a start. :rolleyes:

That GP hydro was given them F1's a royal @$$ whoopin! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
thats how it is in australia and new zealand and they will do it at the griffith cup later this year in november her in oz ,so if they think they have a chance at the cup they will run for it together. it makes for a lot of action

thats how it is in australia and new zealand and they will do it at the griffith cup later this year in november her in oz ,so if they think they have a chance at the cup they will run for it together. it makes for a lot of action

Well you can see in this video that even at the GPs blistering pace that he may only catch the leader at the very end which would have made for a awesome finish. I think it puts on a good show. I think the GP was actually the underdog in this clip as the F1s get such a big jump on him before he can even get up to speed. The lead boat was probably already coming around the last turn to enter the straight-away to complete is his lap before the GP even hit full speed down that back straight. But still fun to watch.

Well you can see in this video that even at the GPs blistering pace that he may only catch the leader at the very end which would have made for a awesome finish. I think it puts on a good show. I think the GP was actually the underdog in this clip as the F1s get such a big jump on him before he can even get up to speed. The lead boat was probably already coming around the last turn to enter the straight-away to complete is his lap before the GP even hit full speed down that back straight. But still fun to watch.
Thanks for the post Roger! Last time I saw tunnel boats run was on the Sacramento River in the late 70's or early 80's- All were open cockpit and looked like they were made from 1/4" ply.V-8 outboards w/ one carb for each Cyl.

Glenn

the main reason they do it here in nz is numbers , because there aren't that many gp boats in nz maybe ten in the whole country( due to small budgets and mechanical problems you dont often get full turn outs ) teams often save efforts for the major race.so race organisers often have the f1 guys racing in there too, the end of the 1st lap is great to watch as the tunnel boys stuffing it up the inside and the hydros going round the outside and the tunnels trying to cope with the rough wATER . the tunnels are always in with a shot because the hydros are that highly strung they right on the edge of reliability.

Great video, thanks for posting! It reminds me of a race they hold here in Australia each year called King of the River. I think the winners of each major class all race together at the end of the weekend to determine the King. Video of it here -

Unfortunately neither of the two guys battling for the lead are with us any more. Shame, they were both great competitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back