• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB-Port Timing, Checking, Set-up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin_R_Clark

Does anyone make a kind of universal set-up for checking engine port timing?i.e., engine hold down, degree wheel, pointer. Also interested in a depth gauge as my calipers just does not seem to be a good way of checking head clearance.

Get a hopld of Gary Preusse, G&M models 630-279-2451. He can get you hooked up.

Hyperformance Products, Huntington Beach CA, 741-893-0030 carries the timing wheel, Gary does not have computer, I'm sure Hyperformance has a web site.

Bill

Throw away the timing wheel. It will take forever to get your numbers. Get the Engine Analysis Program From Marty Davis. It makes engine building fun again.

Since I am totaly unfamiliar with his program, what tools would I need in conjunction with it? Can I find out more info on the other site, or should I try Marty directly?

Tools needed..... good eyes, computer literacy, a good light and a good calipers. Depth micrometer would be a bonus, but not needed.

Program is very helpful as norm said. Program is an excel spreadsheet

Brian

I know many people will disagree but quality degree wheel and pointer will give you the most consistent results. I have done hundreds of engines, I used spread sheets, depth mics, hight gages, test stands, you name it and than I went back to degree wheel. I've designed my own degree wheel but any quality 10" wheel will do. Using a degree wheel while doing an engine is slow but very acurate process, and the same process is used by many engine gurus for building race car engines. Degree wheels for their aplication can cost as much as $1500

Frank Orlic

Advanced Racing Tech

Back