worn out OS piston and sleeve in three months

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickGlover

Help Why did my 3 month old OS piston and sleeve wear out so Fast? Are they like shoes if you want them to last forever never wear them?

Help Why did my 3 month old OS piston and sleeve wear out so Fast? Are they like shoes if you want them to last forever never wear them?
Rick

Typical Nickel sleeve deal, get them too lean a couple of times, and the pinch falls out. Trick: using a plumbers tubing cutter, run the cutting wheel in the ring groove on the piston and it will put some pinch back in it. The other solution is going to the RG piston/ sleeve which is a ABC, not ABN like the XM. Gabe can elaborate on the sleeve turndown to make swap. The "Trick" doesn't last forever, but does put some back in it...See ya in 10 days.......

Randy

What fuel and how many gallons did you go thru? Oil content? Lean mixtures kill them. A properly setup boat will make plenty of power at a slightly rich setting.

Rick, I have seen them be completely shot after a 'couple' runs, and some last forever. The nickel plating sucks.

The pipe cutter trick like Randy mentioned will keep you going for a little while if its done right, but if the nickel is chipping, its done. Time to switch to a chrome RG sleeve.

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
What fuel and how many gallons did you go thru? Oil content? Lean mixtures kill them. A properly setup boat will make plenty of power at a slightly rich setting.
Probably 2 gallons at 16% oil Gallon of 50% and then went to 60%Nitro

Rick, I have seen them be completely shot after a 'couple' runs, and some last forever. The nickel plating sucks.

The pipe cutter trick like Randy mentioned will keep you going for a little while if its done right, but if the nickel is chipping, its done. Time to switch to a chrome RG sleeve.

~James
I'm racing in a week I guess I' ll waste my money on another nickle. Unless someone is coming to the fall national with an extra Rg sleeve. Time is short and don't want to go the pipe method.

Rick

Typical Nickel sleeve deal, get them too lean a couple of times, and the pinch falls out. Trick: using a plumbers tubing cutter, run the cutting wheel in the ring groove on the piston and it will put some pinch back in it. The other solution is going to the RG piston/ sleeve which is a ABC, not ABN like the XM. Gabe can elaborate on the sleeve turndown to make swap. The "Trick" doesn't last forever, but does put some back in it...See ya in 10 days.......

Randy
Thanks Randy' Look forward to seeing you guys again.

Rick, you WILL be throwing away 90+ bucks. Get an RG sleeve from ebay, (about 60 bucks), drive over to Dons house, and get him to turn it down for you in his lathe. Or have it shipped to Deryl's house, he also has a lathe. Or send Kris Flynn (on here) a PM, he had some RG sets already cut and ready to drop in. He could get it to you in time for the race. His price was awesome if I remember right.

Your call, but you have options.

~James

Rick, you WILL be throwing away 90+ bucks. Get an RG sleeve from ebay, (about 60 bucks), drive over to Dons house, and get him to turn it down for you in his lathe. Or have it shipped to Deryl's house, he also has a lathe. Or send Kris Flynn (on here) a PM, he had some RG sets already cut and ready to drop in. He could get it to you in time for the race. His price was awesome if I remember right.

Your call, but you have options.

~James
Thanks Great Idea i'll try it.

I just turned some down Yesterday $90 shipped, can post today, might take a week to get there

No Worries Rick, What ever gets you one the water to give these guys a run for their money!

I had a new P/S in a OS VZM go in half a gallon. Was running great and out of the blue lost all power no matter where I had the pipe or what prop would not get past the throw of launch . Torn her down just to find I could almost push the piston through the sleave. To say the least I was unimpressed. I have the buggy version of this P/S (OS VZB lower timing) on 10 gallons and they still have pinch. I'm guessing I got a bad set, still not happy but what can you do. :huh:

Rick,

Number one reason is lean run/s -vrs- oil/package.

This really equals heat -vrs- oil.

Remember when you lean the needle you are also leaning the oil. The % of oil is only relative to the rest of the fuel build. I lean needle setting is relative to air liquid percentage (witch we do not measure).

If.. you are using fuel pure synthetic oil be carful, unless it has other “Special Additives” (Sorry I can not elaborate on that). You might want to stick with castor based fuel.

Grimracer

My $.02 worth, I've just finished season 3 with my ORIGINAL OS-XM P&S running a Villian S1 in sport 20 class. Squeezed the sleeve very slightly after the first season, plenty of pinch still there with a cold motor. I do not "baby" it but I do stay on the rich side and race it. 65% nitro + 14% synthetic + 1% castor. What's working for me the last few seasons in both mod and sport .21 tunnel classes is to pinch off the water to get the motors running hot, then you can feed them a rich needle, makes more power and motors should last longer. I do this with a simple plastic collar and 10-32 bolt on the water line, monitor and adjust with a Boris Mazor flow guage (for consistency) but I feel the head as soon as it comes in from a hard run, should be almost too hot to touch.

Wallster

I had one that I put at least 10 gallons through years ago, then replaced it just because. I then let Don G. borrow that old sleeve to get him through and he ran it for a couple more years. Like I mentioned, its hit or miss with a nickel sleeve. Not as much with a Chrome sleeve, although they are of course not bullet proof. Cheaper, and better. Kind of a no brainer for me.

~James

I agree with most of whats being said. I run 18% oil of witch 1oz. is pure castor. Breaking in the motor properly is a must. My mod motor has 4 seasons on it and still runs great. I also have seen motors trashed after a couple runs they were all run lean early in there short lives. Six full tanks minimum on the rich side before you even think about leaning on it.Greg

I got one of the engines i was about to put a new piston and cly in. Humm maybe i should just rethink this. But now do you just replace the sleeve are does it come with a piston as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back