World OB Tunnel Championships is Changing for 2014

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Knight

As the title notes, the World OB Tunnel Championships (WTC), is changing it's name starting in 2014. The club believes that the name WTC is no longer the best name for the race for future years. The rather poor economy has unfortunately taken out nearly all of the international racers in coming. So the club has chosen a new name for the race, starting in 2014, and will be known as the:

OB TUNNEL MASTERS, or TUNNEL MASTERS for short.

We believe this more accurately reflects the quality of the past WTC races and those that compete in it. To win a class, you are certainly a Master among the tunnel boat drivers. We intend to offer the very same classes, and to be be creative and innovative with the race as we have in the past. That includes kneelers, OB Hydro's or just about anything that runs with an OB engine. If new classes are interested in being added we shall do so to increase the interest and build the tunnel boat racing. As always, this race offers classes for the nitro tunnel, FE tunnel and the gas tunnel racers as well as some open classes.

Note for those that may be concerned about the use of "Masters", we have conferred with Stu Barr and he absolutely endorses the use of the Tunnel Masters name.

The race will be opened for entry on rcracingevents next month. Get ready for the 2014 Tunnel Masters!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiousity, why would you worry what Stu says about the name? Does he own that title?

Courtesy , something many lack lately ............

Sorry to reply for you John, but it seemed the answer was obvious
default_wink.png

Courtesy , something many lack lately ............

Sorry to reply for you John, but it seemed the answer was obvious
default_wink.png
Kris,

Andy is correct. Andy, Kris is from Down Under, and I doubt he would know why the courtesy inquiry was done. Stu and the Indy club hosts the Indy Masters race at Hobart, a name they do not own but has used for many years.

I like it John!
default_smile.png

Changed the name on the IMPBA D13 forum where I posted the 2014 schedule.
default_wink.png

If it isn't broke why fix it? The WTC is kind of the "lie" that came true over the years with a lot of support from tunnel heads. When were at the pond, and tell someone were going to the World Tunnel Championships they assume its the "tunnel race" at the top of the heap. When they Google "masters" they will get Augusta or maybe Hobart. Looks like the "Kangaroo" munchers will have the real worlds now.

Mic

Andy, your reply was at best, useless mate...didn't answer a thing
default_wink.png

Funny stuff Mic, guess the CMB club got worried about our World Outboard Champs
default_smile.png

Masters, sorry but we are running toy boats. Not hitting a ball for a green jacket and a pile of $.

Luv ya scale boat btw Andy! Makes me want one of that style

I'am with mic if it ain't broke, don't fix it . Why change the name ,we still come, so that counts as international drivers.

So why change the name , how many years has it bin called WTC ?

Master is for golfers (lol)

Dang,

A lot of edited posts on this thread. Is it 2014 yet????....lol. I like it John as I know what you were hoping to call the race wasn't approved and the lack of racers outside the US, other than Shane and his crew, makes it harder to justify World's in the title. Hopefully our Aussi neighbors can come join us again sometime soon and maybe some of us can fly over and join one if their races one day as well. When are you posting on rcracingevents.com?

John

A few years ago they had the Outboard Masters in Indy.

Dave roach
Yep, that is what Stu told me but it was over 20 years ago if he recalled correctly. They also had the Mono Masters too but both of them lasted only about 2 years. However, the Hydro Masters still continues.

John

I have jackets form 1998,1999,2000 and I think it was 4or 5 years that it run.

Dave

Latest posts

Back