Working on a SP20 design... loooking for input

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

I'm working on a wood, sp20 kit that I want o be SUPER easy to build. I have the center section mostly done. Looks like it should be no more than 20pcs total and all of them interlock with mating pieces, no way it can go together wrong. This is kid of my follow up from Mikes GP310. This boat will use Mikes 310 cowl. Another goal is to have lots of room inside. The tanks will be saddle tanks that are not covered, but mounted on each side of the engine. The ZIPP 21 super mount is designed in. The frame work is completely interlocking and builds on a flat table. you would really have to mess up to not get it square,.,,

I have planned a sandwich type tub side, 1/16 ply / 1/4 balsa / 1/16 ply. These will be nice ans stiff. All bulkheads tab through this side panel.

It has some engine rails that tab into the bottom, forward bulkhead and the transom. I think this will help it be stiff. Radio box up front and yeah it looks a little tight.

I'm having a heck of a time making the sponson frames. My mind works from "surface to tooling" not "framework to surface" It's tougher than it looks to come out with the sponson design I want.

I'm trying to make a sp21 so easy to build that you could do it in a few nights. hull anyway.. Please offer any suggestions.

Here are a few pics..

AJM-SP20-1.jpg

AJM-SP20-3.jpg

AJM-SP20-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthony,

You’re going to need some kind of decking on the tub to minimize flexing and twisting of the center (tub) section. Are you still using PTC products put that thing into ProMechanica and do a stress analysis and see where the deflections are.

Later

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Some carbon fiber on top of the wood should take care of that. Mine is similar in design and it doesn't flex at all.

Tony, guess you didnt get my email from earlier in the week. I am in Alaska until tomorrow, but will take a look at the files you emailed then. Mike

I did mike. I was looking for suggestions in general. I'm still planning on your expertise to set up the sponson ribbing.

Other Mike, I also will have a small strip of decking on top, about .75 inch per side.

Hoping for more feedback. If you guys were going to try such a thing, what would you different?

Carbon fiber tubes that go through the center section and sponsons work excellent for tieing things together and they make the boat nice and stiff. We have had good success with doing this.

No more sponsons flying off boats after you do that.

Jeff

Here is the first pic of the this hull going together.. just a quick fit check.. looks good,.. I forgot a couple parts on the 2d drawing.

photo.JPG

Here is the boat ready for skin.. I wish it was mine!!! Mine is still in the box till I get the 40 rigger done!!!

This kit can be purchased direct from AK models.. and the cowl from the ML 310 / 335 is direct fit,.. designed to exactly fit the ZIPP super engine mount,.. bolts right in,..

All parts at notched fro perfect fit.. reenforce the turn fin sponson heel the way you like to,..

SP21.JPG

After more thought Mike L and I have decided that this kit will be a MLboatworks design. This will make sourcing for boat and cowl easier. The boat is very similar to the GP series in running surface design. The next kit in this fast build type will be a sport40 of similar construction and set up specifically for nitro. So, here comes the first ML boat works nitro series.

Mikes experience and great service will now be applied to the nitro world. We will finish testing and finalize the kits. Mike has been a big part of this design. He and I will continue to work together and bring more high performance fast build kits to market.

These boats are 100% designed using 3D solid modeling from the stringers to the accurate fitting cowls.

Back