Will this work well?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catxtreme

I have a 36" wood sport 40 hydro would the motor/esc from the Aquacraft UL-1 work at all in this boat if using a 3 or 4 cell lipo? Thanks

Jeff Lee

I have a 36" wood sport 40 hydro would the motor/esc from the Aquacraft UL-1 work at all in this boat if using a 3 or 4 cell lipo? Thanks
Jeff Lee
In my opinion, that will be too hot of a setup for that large of a hull. 30-36" hulls require at least an "xl" motor or larger. Personally I run 10-11xl feigao motors and a hv 100amp esc, with 4s in a few 27-32" hydros and riggers and they will work fine. But with that setup it doesn't come alive until I run the same motor on 6s lipo, which is what I usually run. This setup in my 30" shovelnose runs about 58mph and only pulls a little over 70 amps. It actually runs cooler and obviously much faster then the same setup on 4s.

a neu 1515 1y or 1.5y OR 1521 1.5d would work wonderfully on 4s lipo...but then again, you are looking at more money in a motor alone than a feigao/esc combo. Its comes down to what you can afford. some folks have praised and bashed the chinese feigao/nemesis motors..but they work and are consistent in their speed and amp draw....unless you get them too hot, but thats the case in any motor...ruin the magnets and its speed/power declines very quickly.

I know that the ul-1 motor/esc combo is a great setup on a smaller boat. say up to 28" but you will be running things very hot, unless you are spinning a tiny prop to keep amp draw in a "reasonable" range. On the other hand, in terms of buying a motor esc combo...the sv27 powerplant and esc, are used in most of the 1/10 hydro spec classes, and they are great...1/10 hydros are about 6 inches smaller than your hydro. Not lightning fast...speeds around 43mph...but they work great. The sv27 motor is around 1600kv...so you can run it in a larger hull, won't burn anything up. If you are going to get a combo, price wise the sv package is my vote, if running on 4s, in a sport hydro.

Just my .02 cents...there are many, more experienced boaters on here that will add their thoughts as well. I would also check out rumrunnerracing.com That is an amazing knowledge base for fast electrics.

SV27 setup would work. It is I hear actually 1800 KV and if you use a 4s lipo it should hit 45 to 50 if you set it up right. How much does the boat weigh?

Jim

What size lipo would the SV27's esc handle, I know the motor says up to 18v. I dont have a definite weight for the boat but its reasonably light for a boat that size.Mid 50's would be great but I could live with 50mph for no more $$ than I would have in the boat. I wouldnt be racing it as there is no organized fe racing in my area.

Jeff Lee

I would think a 5000 to 6000mah 30C 4s pack would work great.

Jim

What size lipo would the SV27's esc handle, I know the motor says up to 18v. I dont have a definite weight for the boat but its reasonably light for a boat that size.Mid 50's would be great but I could live with 50mph for no more $$ than I would have in the boat. I wouldnt be racing it as there is no organized fe racing in my area.Jeff Lee

It depends on how heavy it is and how wet the big hydro runs. What hull is it? (and why do people have to keep important info a secret?) Personally I would not use the SV27 system as the motor is pretty darn small for that size hull and it would heat up quickly. As for 50 mph - no way with any reasonable run time on that motor - that system struggles to get mid-50s in a 27" riggers. Our club's P Sport Hydros might hit mid-50s in a heat - running 1515/1521 Neus and XL Hackers - and then just for a short heat of less than 90 seconds.

A 36" boat is on the large side for 4S anyway, although with the right motor in the right hull it would work. If you are trying for a budget then a KB45 with a Kv of 1700 would be my choice - it has mass and torque. I am not comfortable recommending one of the cheap Chinese ESCs as I am not familiar with them, but you'll certainly want more than 45 amps - that's just 600 watts. As for cells, 4S1P/4500 mAh/20C would be the minimum I'd use for a sport boat to keep the cost down....4S2P would be better. Don't expect 50 mph though. But a 36" boat at 40 mph is still a lot of fun. :)

./

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Lee
Jeff,

I agree with Jay, that motor is really too small to be effective in that large a hydro. Of course, as Jay says, it does depend upon the weight and wetted area when the boat is up on plane, but you are not likely to achieve anything like 50"s with such a large boat and that setup.

Weigh your boat with all the hardware except the motor and batteries. Then you can look at the all up weight by adding the weight of the various motor & battery combos you might want to consider.

The P-Sport hydros in our club, which run in the High 40's to low 50's weigh-in at 4.5 to 5.5 lb range, with the motor & battery included! Our boats have motors that range from Neu 1515's to Hacker's and yes even some Feigao XL's. (I am running an 8XL on my Oh Boy Oberto which I have clocked at +54 mph.)

If I were you I would also be very conservative with the amperage capability of the ESC. If you are wanting to go fast you are going to be trying various props and you WILL be pulling over 100 amps frequently and occasionally for several seconds. Unless you are experienced at boat set up, I would not buy any ESC that does not have at least 125 amp capability.

For motor power supply, go with 4S or 6S Lipos. If you run 2P buy at least 3000 mah packs, if you go 1P you will probably need a +5000 mah pack. For longer run time with lower amp draw on the packs go with 2P packs of +4000 mah.

Graphics_rev.jpg

Back