wild thing ob

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken t.

Has anyone ever tried an ob on a wild thing hull.

I've always liked the idea of an outboard on a mono.

Would it work??

And how is the availability of the k&b 3.5 and parts these days.

1. Outboard vees can be a "challenge." You can made a vee run with an outboard. How well it runs is another story. The best running OB vee I saw at the 2004 NAM Nats was Jerry Crowther's new 33" Seducer w/MAC 21. He won the event.

2. K&B parts are becoming avaialble. Gary Preusse at G&M Models is a good source - (630) 279-2451 - no e-mail/website.

JD

Ken,

Though my experience with o/b monos is limited (I've built one, run two) I would strongly suspect that the Wild Thing would not convert well. The Wild Thing has a really shallow draft and will plane out quickly due to its being set up for surface drive. You would have to mount the o/b high on the transome and the high CG added to the shallow draft will most likely give you a hull that would be a challange to trim out. If you really want an o/b mono, go to a deep draft hull and also go up a size. if you were planning on a 30" hull choose a 33-34". It will give you a bit more mass to work against the high CG.

chunk t

if you are intersted ina ob mono get a hold of Joe @ 707 specialties he got a good mono for stock kb's or the mod motors should give the compation a run for it i know seaducer took first place at the nats.

any way woth a try. Jimmy :)

chunk t said:
Ken,
Though my experience with o/b monos is limited (I've built one, run two) I would strongly suspect that the Wild Thing would not convert well.  The Wild Thing has a really shallow draft and will plane out quickly due to its being set up for surface drive.  You would have to mount the o/b high on the transome and the high CG added to the shallow draft will most likely give you a hull that would be a challange to trim out.  If you really want an o/b mono, go to a deep draft hull and also go up a size.  if you were planning on a 30" hull choose a 33-34".  It will give you a bit more mass to work against the high CG.

chunk t

91321[/snapback]

Back