Who's using Lipo's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does the polyquest with the PCM guard

thanks

Steve

Dan Proulx said:
Jeff,
Cell phones and other consumer devices have built in circuitry to insure that their Lithium cells aren't over charged/discharged.

Also, most consumer devices are using Lithium Ion cells - not Lithium polymer.

Dan

94230[/snapback]

Many of the fires were before the cells were balanced and also proper chargers were developed. Also there are protection devices now that won't allow cells to be over charged.

We sell packs for combat robots and there has been one fire that was caused from a saw cutting into a fully charged pack. 1 fire out of hundreds.

thanks

Steve

J Solinger said:
"You can learn many things on this site....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129

failures

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

thanks

Steve"

SHHHHoot, thats a lot of fires!!! :eek:

94246[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:
sjslhill said:
Many of the fires were before the cells were balanced and also proper chargers were developed.  Also there are protection devices now that won't allow cells to be over charged.We sell packs for combat robots and there has been one fire that was caused from a saw cutting into a fully charged pack.  1 fire out of hundreds.

thanks

Steve

J Solinger said:
"You can learn many things on this site....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129

failures

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

thanks

Steve"

SHHHHoot, thats a lot of fires!!! :eek:

94246[/snapback]

94250[/snapback]

Now thats the news I was hoping to hear. I thought all these fires where with the safety devises.

Dan Proulx said:
Jeff,
Cell phones and other consumer devices have built in circuitry to insure that their Lithium cells aren't over charged/discharged.

Dan

94230[/snapback]

Dan,

It is my understanding that Li-ion was discontinued in the hobby because of the increased possibilities of a fire, and that Li-poly charged properly and discharged to 3v per cell is a safer battery technology.

And with the introduction of cell monitor embedded in the li-poly batteries safety is of a less concern. :D

Not to say that you should still not monitor your li-polies.

Steve

Li-Ion cylinder cells explode, not just burn.

GMC7 said:
Dan Proulx said:
Jeff,

Dan

94230[/snapback]

Dan,

It is my understanding that Li-ion was discontinued in the hobby because of the increased possibilities of a fire, and that Li-poly charged properly and discharged to 3v per cell is a safer battery technology.

And with the introduction of cell monitor embedded in the li-poly batteries safety is of a less concern. :D

Not to say that you should still not monitor your li-polies.

Steve

94281[/snapback]

Lithium Ion cells are still very much used in R/C. Especially the new "round" cells.

With the new safety features that many resellers offer, Lithium should have an improving safety record.

Now keep in mind that I'm all in favor of LiPoly - I own a few dozen packs. But last weekend a buddy of mine crashed a Mig29 edf and guess what happened to the 4s4p pack he had in it - puffed.

I've given my Nimhs and Nicads some pretty severe jolts and they usually don't mind it too much. I've crashed airplanes so severely that the only recognizable piece left was the pack of Nimhs - it still worked after that. Lithium, even with all the safety devices in the world would have been junk...expensive junk.

Lithium cells in their current packaging need a great deal of attention to be used effectively. Fortunately they're getting better every day.

Dan

A lot of misinformation. Time will tell on the degradation of packs. All I know is my Nimh packs loose energy rapidly after a charge. and they degrade quite a bit after 1 season. I too have practice packs and race packs.

My biggest plus of lipo is capacity and they can sit charged. So fare they seem to stay cooler in the boats. Maybe the electrons move easier. Motor, controller and batts stay pretty cool.

Maybe some one can tell me why.

HT

They need special care thats for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back