Who wants longer endurance racing?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjslhill

In Europe they have endurance racing that counts the total number of laps without time limits. Will this ever come to the US, or, maybe it has already.

Let us know how you feel.

I like the "Lets see how long you can go" format.

It is kind of like SAW racing, but instead of all out speed, you are going for highest number of laps.

It would certainly pay off for the guy who was set up with the most efficient boat.

All the little things would really pay off. Free drive line, good cell management, correct prop, well designed hull, and even driver skill.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

I like this idea as well.......something different,

Steve

It is kind of like SAW racing, but instead of all out speed, you are going for highest number of laps.

It would certainly pay off for the guy who was set up with the most efficient boat.

All the little things would really pay off. Free drive line, good cell management, correct prop, well designed hull, and even driver skill.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Hello Guys,

I don't think that would be such a great idea. Can you imagine a 12 cell offshore tug running for an hour?

Paul.

Perhaps a cap on the time would be a good idea.

I think 15 min. would be reasonable.

Maybe a speed minimum? AKA your boat has to be able to do one complete lap of the course in 30 seconds max.

(even if you have a fast enough boat but can not do a lap in 30 seconds, perhaps you should not be driving with others!)

The tug would be self limiting as it would never complete anywhere near as many laps as the faster boats even if it did take an hour to do it. There is a point where battery capacity will not out-do speed.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

It has to be a balance of speed and endurance. Maybe we can get someone to post the European rules, they must have taken in these parameters.

Perhaps a cap on the time would be a good idea.

I think 15 min. would be reasonable.

Maybe a speed minimum? AKA your boat has to be able to do one complete lap of the course in 30 seconds max.

(even if you have a fast enough boat but can not do a lap in 30 seconds, perhaps you should not be driving with others!)

The tug would be self limiting as it would never complete anywhere near as many laps as the faster boats even if it did take an hour to do it. There is a point where battery capacity will not out-do speed.

Peter R.

www.climatemodels.com

Who wants longer endurance racing?

Not me! :)

Time limit?

15 minutes? 4 Minutes is a stretch as is.

How about this:

Run until >50% of those watching loose consciousness due to extreme boredom. ;)

I don't think endurance racing makes any sense whatsoever in hydro racing. That said, however, I would like to see longer races in hydro classes than has become the norm on today's sprint courses. The one exception to this is the LSH class, which runs 10 laps on the standard 1/10 mile electric course. This is a good race length for the spec motor class. In open hydro classes, I would like to see some combination of course length and lap count which would produce a heat length of around 2 minutes.

The real application of a true endurance format is , as we saw this past season, the Offshore classes. Even there, I feel that the heat length would be optimum around 4-5 minutes. When your concentrating on a tricky offshore course, this is a long enough race.

If, as a special format event, a true long distance format race was desired, why not hold a 1 hour (2,3 - whatever) enduro and have teams with multiple drivers and boats in true LeMans fashion. Could be quite interesting.

Steve

Navigas race rules are pretty simple

mono 6 minutes

hydro 5 minutes - oval is pretty close to 1/8 miles approx 160metres

And the speeds of their boats are not slow

Andrew posted the European rules....

The poll, though many did not select a time, all favored longer racers. It would appear that choosing the same rules would put everyone in the same hourglass.

Just some thoughts.....

Steve

Latest posts

Back