Whats wrong with this picture????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, sorry about the glare. took about 5 and they all looked like that. have any of you guys ever had just 1 of the little shiny balls leave its home like in this picture? sorry my camera sux rocks :-

GRand,

You would get better pics if you have a seperate flash that is mounted remote from the camera so that the light is not reflected straight back.

But about the bearing, that is not unheard of, but for it to come out with the cage intact it would have broken up and probably made a mess of the piston, liner and head! Did that happen? I have seen it a few times and it is expensive!

Ian.

my digital camera is so old that my college gave it to me. the piston and button were beat up pretty bad, but didnt find anything wrong with the sleeve. i faced off the button and have another piston which seems to have a good fit. the only bearing failures i have had have been a total meltdown.

Sometimes the bearings are simply faulty, I have seen this happen a few times on brand new engines!

By shaving off the head button you will be changing both the head clearance and compression ratio. You should re-set the head clearance to what you were running before, but after a good run on pipe you should pull the head off and check for detonation as you may have significantly more compression. If there is detonation you will need to make the bowl in the head button larger, or simply buy another one.

You were lucky the liner was not damaged!

Ian.

Had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago :-X

They were brand new bearings and failed on the first tank of fuel. You could say I was not impressed.

Piston and head both trashed. Liner survived.

Tim.

Maybe those metal bearing sheilds could be fitted to the crankshaft side of the bearing only. Drill a few small holes in it to allow oil flow, but not big enough to allow big fragments of ball out! It would make visual inspection of the bearing almost impossible tho.

Just a thought. I am not about to try it tho, I use the WIB swiss bearings and have never had that happen to me (touch wood!!!)

Ian.

Back