What's the best 7.5 O/B?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Johnson

I'm looking for opinions on the best 7.5 O/B out there for the money. So far I have looked at Nelson, K&B Super Pro and the Rossi.

D tunnel guys I value your input.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

My opinion and you know everybody's got one is that the CMB Evo conversion is the only way to go. It does cost you a little more up front but it will run with the big dogs so to speak. This motor has won the IMPBA 40 Mod class the last two years and about five of the last six years. You can get the conversion from Ernie Lafluer.

Mark Hopper

Greg,

great question, however......there's holes in it. Are you going to use a K&B lower end, a Billet, a Lawless, etc...How about for a tuned pipe??? I ask because I've seen this question asked and then get answered and people get bummed because it didn't work with stuff they already had.

I'm not being a smart A$$, just asking so i can give good input. Lately there have been some sensative people on the board. ;)

Greg,

great question, however......there's holes in it. Are you going to use a K&B lower end, a Billet, a Lawless, etc...How about for a tuned pipe??? I ask because I've seen this question asked and then get answered and people get bummed because it didn't work with stuff they already had.

I'm not being a smart A$$, just asking so i can give good input. Lately there have been some sensative people on the board. ;)

Rodney,

I would be using the K& B lower end and the Silver Bullit pipe.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

My opinion and you know everybody's got one is that the CMB Evo conversion is the only way to go. It does cost you a little more up front but it will run with the big dogs so to speak. This motor has won the IMPBA 40 Mod class the last two years and about five of the last six years. You can get the conversion from Ernie Lafluer.

Mark Hopper
Any pictures available for conversion kit ? Also need contact info.

Thanx,

Ron Saxvik

I'll get you a picture. To get the motor and kit call Ernie Lafluer at 409 296 2052. This is a day number.

Mark

I would go with the Nelson. They are a bullet proof engine and are very fast and easy to set up. No conversion or Mods needed just bolt on your favorite carb and pipe and go. They work great with the silverbullet pipe and a .375 bore K&B carb. Also with a simple piston/liner/button change you have a 60class engine.

I run the Nelson on my mod boat just like Mark's setup and is impressive. I went that route after Mark ran me down the back stretch like I was standing still. Great motor.

Mike

PS I have the 48 liner, piston, and head so I can run the 60 tunnel with only a power head change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like the NELSEN engine the best, problem is they are hard to get. Actually I call the engine Vision Tech. I have the last of the big manufacturing problems worked out so you may seen them this spring.

In have raced against the engine set up Mark is talking about and the Nelson engines. I won a few against the CMB setup but those are monster fast. I have beat the Nelson engine most of the time.

So my opinion CMB is fastest but costs a ton, Nelson is fast and does not coast as much, mine when available will be around 300 to 350 dollars.

With in this group of engines it comes down to set up and driver skill to win a race. Greg I have raced you, your skill is good and your set up seemed smooth anyone of these would be fine for you.

My $1.380 worth

Brian

I actually like the NELSEN engine the best, problem is they are hard to get. Actually I call the engine Vision Tech. I have the last of the big manufacturing problems worked out so you may seen them this spring.

In have raced against the engine set up Mark is talking about and the Nelson engines. I won a few against the CMB setup but those are monster fast. I have beat the Nelson engine most of the time.

So my opinion CMB is fastest but costs a ton, Nelson is fast and does not coast as much, mine when available will be around 300 to 350 dollars.

With in this group of engines it comes down to set up and driver skill to win a race. Greg I have raced you, your skill is good and your set up seemed smooth anyone of these would be fine for you.

My $1.380 worth

Brian
2 guys in our club run Nelsens both break parts in wholesale fashion. Fast motors if your on a budget get a k/b pro if not rock on with a CMB MONSTER.........my 2 cents

The only time that I have broken a Nelson is after a cable broke and the engine severely over revved. It pulled the pin bosses out of the piston. The biggest problem that i have seen is that people feel the need to modify things. If you bolt the engine on the way that Gary sends it out and break it in properly they live. I put one on Dave Solway's boat four years ago and it has never been touched. He runs his stuff hard but takes very good care of it.

Mark

The only time that I have broken a Nelson is after a cable broke and the engine severely over revved. It pulled the pin bosses out of the piston. The biggest problem that i have seen is that people feel the need to modify things. If you bolt the engine on the way that Gary sends it out and break it in properly they live. I put one on Dave Solway's boat four years ago and it has never been touched. He runs his stuff hard but takes very good care of it.

Mark
I saw some pictures of a CMB on an outboard. I've been thinking about it. Does some have some better pictures about this setup?

Has anyone ran the Rossi 7.5 I know that they make great quality stuff, but has anyone ran the piss out of one and seen what it can do???? Mark? Rod? Buller? Anyone.

Mike.

My $1.380 worth

Brian
2 guys in our club run Nelsens both break parts in wholesale fashion. Fast motors if your on a budget get a k/b pro if not rock on with a CMB MONSTER.........my 2 cents

Mikey

Better get your information straight here. Those guys where racing Nelson's not Nelsen's. I know this for a fact as I am the only one with a Nelsen currently (Which is actually a vision tech) and I did not run it at the nats. What you said is true about the guys breaking parts I know I talked to them allot. But they where running Nelson's. My engine has a steel rod and needle bearings so it will not break like those did.

Just wanted to stop any bad press for my engines here.

Brian

Just to let you all know I have tried to post a picture but looks like there is not enough space? It says there is only 17.72K left and it won't load. Am I doing something wrong? I'm sure no computer wizzz!

Mark

Just to let you all know I have tried to post a picture but looks like there is not enough space? It says there is only 17.72K left and it won't load. Am I doing something wrong? I'm sure no computer wizzz!

Mark
Hi Mark,

If you wish,you can mail me the pic ( [email protected] )and I'll put it in my gallery and post it or when I get home from work I can post some pics of mine.

I have the Cat 22 boat from Tom Moore with the CMB on it.

Walt,

This is really trying to get the best of me! Trying to send you a few pictures and that comes back as retuned mail, won't go through!

Mark

Back