What's new?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VansRacing

Hello Tunnel Boaters,

Here is a quick update from Van's Racing and Design:

I have been developing a new model. The Taboo is my latest 3.5cc round track racer design and is scheduled to be put into glass this spring but will not be available to the general public for obvious reasons. We plan to push the Outboard Tunnel racing bar up a notch or two this summer. We have new prop designs, better fuel mixes and faster boats to start out the new year for 2009.

A new manufacture is tooling up to build the Lynx in Vynal Ester so that boats can be made more available and take some heat off of Jon. This will also be in place by spring 2009.

This past year a lot has been added to Van's Racing & Design. I will be launching a new custom parts line for Outboards. This new line of parts will be available to ALL RACERS regardless of what boat you may choose to run. However, There will be NO DEALERS for these parts so you will have to contact Van's Racing to place your order. We already have over $10,000.00 of parts in stock and by the end of the year this amount to slated to tripple. The website is in process and should also be online by the first of the year.

-Carl,

Walt has a very special Lynx heading his way. He has pics of it already, and I think he will be pleased. Unfortunately I can't ship it on Wednesday as planned. The gel coat I use went bad over the summer. Didn't find that out until I went to spray the radio box and other molds on Friday after work. A new can of gel coat will be ordered tomorrow. This is another example of $$$ sunk into this project. It wouldn't have happened if I didn't have to pull away from it for 6 months. But rest assured he is covered. I talked to Walt on Thursday, an he knows what is going on. Atleast up until I found the bad gelcoat on Friday.

Hey Gang,

No Lynx yet, but getting close.

Jon contacted me as soon as he had the molds. We have been communicating ever since.

Due to the fact I'm getting a non standard boat and also Jons setbacks, there has been a few more delays but soon now.

I did see the hull and deck, and so far we're looking good. Just the cowl and radio box to go and it's done.

YUP, I GET A RADIO BOX TOO. :p

Phew, it's been a long time coming, 3 years in December, but I have to thank Jon for stepping up and taking this project on.

Thanks my friend!! :)

I'll post a few pics when it's done.

Hey Gang,
No Lynx yet, but getting close.

Jon contacted me as soon as he had the molds. We have been communicating ever since.

Due to the fact I'm getting a non standard boat and also Jons setbacks, there has been a few more delays but soon now.

I did see the hull and deck, and so far we're looking good. Just the cowl and radio box to go and it's done.

YUP, I GET A RADIO BOX TOO. :p

Phew, it's been a long time coming, 3 years in December, but I have to thank Jon for stepping up and taking this project on.

Thanks my friend!! :)

I'll post a few pics when it's done.

3 years to make one boat? You have a whole lot more patience then I would ever be able to have. Hope that thing turns on a dime and goes 100mph! lol

i've seen some pics, jon's doing a VERY NICE, TRICK hull for walt. yeah, he waited a long time, but he'll have 1 of 1 B) . good things come to good folks, imho.

3 years to make one boat? You have a whole lot more patience then I would ever be able to have. Hope that thing turns on a dime and goes 100mph! lol
Yes, It will turn on a dime. The 100mph top end will depend on Walt's choice of motor and prop. Regardless of how fast it goes, it will survive just about any blowover (not sure about +85mph for the cowl); but no guarantees on hitting solid objects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, It will turn on a dime. The 100mph top end will depend on Walt's choice of motor and prop. Regardless of how fast it goes, it will survive just about any blowover (not sure about +85mph for the cowl); but no guarantees on hitting solid objects.

It will seriously have 80+mph top end? What engines would you use for that kind of speed? That would be a nice long term goal for me to get a boat like that. 50mph seems fast, I cannot imagine something that fast!

Yes, the Lynx has already been clocked at over 74mph (one way). Kentley Porter has the motor to do it. I'm not sure, but I think it is a NR/Lawless. There is definitely 80+ mph potential there. But at those SAW speeds you will blow over on occassion while working on props, setup, etc. Most fiberglass boats are damaged by a blowover at that speed. There are other benefits to the kevlar hull as well, but I won't steal Carl's thread. PM me if you want to discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Lynx has already been clocked at over 74mph (one way). Kentley Porter has the motor to do it. I'm not sure, but I think it is a NR/Lawless. There is definitely 80+ mph potential there. But at those SAW speeds you will blow over on occassion while working on props, setup, etc. Most fiberglass boats are damaged by a blowover at that speed. There are other benefits to the kevlar hull as well, but I won't steal Carl's thread. PM me if you want to discuss.
You should feel free to steal Carl's thread he certainly doesn't mind stealing someone else's thread. If it sounds like I have a little animosity towards this you are not mistaken.

You should feel free to steal Carl's thread he certainly doesn't mind stealing someone else's thread. If it sounds like I have a little animosity towards this you are not mistaken.

Amen !

Back