What to Use: Epoxy, Glue, Sealer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake Sabo

Hello, iam sure this has been asked hundreds of times, but i tried the search button and went threw 40+ pages, and didnt find what i was looking for. So please bear with me. As this if my 1st wood boat build.

Iam starting out with the JAE Mini Sprint boat. So iam wondering whats the best epoxy, glue, and sealer for wood outriggers?

For the Epoxy, West Systems looks good. But iam not for sure what one to use. Would the G/Flex Epoxy work? Or would it have to be 105 System? And whats the best/easiest way to apply the epoxy?

For the Glue and Sealer, whats the best brand bein used by boaters for this?

Thanks for your time. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

blake, i've been using epoxies from bob smith industries for quite a few years now. it's what most lhs's sell with their label on it. it comes in slow cure (the best for us, waterproof), mid cure (water resistant) & fast cure (not good for building, doesn't hold up to water) & finish cure (good for hull sealing). MUCH less expensive than west or mas, & has been holding up very well for me. that, & it is available at most lhs's, no need to order & pay shipping. read the back of the bottle, while the front may have your hobby shop's label on it, bob smith will be on the back near the bottom. i have one wood build that's prolly 15 years old that is still tight & waterproof. i don't like glues or ca for building, maybe just for at the pond quickie repairs that will be torn out & done properly at home later. i use epoxy for all construction. lately, i've been using deft brand lacquer sanding sealer (available at lowe's) for sealing. can be brushed or sprayed, soaks in well, lays out smooth, sands like primer & most paints & clears will go over it with no issues. it also waterproofs well, but will need a fuel proof clear over it. my last build with my jae .21, i only added 1 5/8 oz. using it with color on the cowl, radio box lid & outside of the sponsons, then automotive clear on everything. MUCH easier than epoxy sealing, imho. it is not fuel proof, you will need to seal the engine & fuel tank area with the finish cure epoxy. i've never been a big fan of thinning normal epoxies with alcohol or acetone, you always have the potential for issues with curing & longevity. i would rather use a finish cure epoxy, it is made to soak in & lay out, hence the name FINISH cure ;) . just my .02, i'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
We like the Zpoxy brand of epoxy to build with. Their 30 minute formula is excellent and available from any hobby shop.

Medium CA glue can be used for most of the MS assembly.

For sealing (inside and out), we LOVE Klass Kote epoxy! Klass Kote website

It is about as thick as house paint, and really soaks in.

Two coats make a wonderful finish, or a good base for primer and paint.

It is fuel and chemical proof, UV resistant and very tough.

It is now all we use and recommend.

I just wish we got a kickback from him! We preach about this stuff!

Joe

Back