what is the maximum voltage a receiver can handle without damage

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Meany

i am looking to make smaller receiver packs , i have found some small batteries but they are 3.6 volt .

the idea is to cut the number of cells/ weight while keeping the capacity as high as i can. has any one tried this?

i was thinking to try cr123a or similar

Futaba 603fs and ff receivers require 6v with a maximum rating of 7.4v. I hope this helps.

I think if you go to the manufacturer's and check they will say that they support 4.8V or 7V depending on the receiver. A lot of the new receivers support 7V now. However the servos must also support 7V as the receiver does not do any voltage regulation for the servos. There are voltage regulators in most receivers that handle voltage to for the receiver itself, however I am not sure how far you could push them.

Futaba actually rates the 603FS at 4.8 to 6V (http://www.rc.futaba.co.jp/english/reciever/ground01/r603fs.html) so at 6.6 you would be outside that. I know a lot of people are using Life Batteries (LiFePO4) and I have read some articles in the forums about this very subject and some guys swear by LiFePO4 packs. The safe route is to go with a BEC (voltage regulator), they are small and would not add much weight and they run about $20. They are specifically designed to be used in conjunction with LiPo receiver packs.

I have been researching receivers batteries myself recently and I am thinking about going LiPo with a BEC. You can get some very powerful batteries that are very small form factor.

D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you go to the manufacturer's and check they will say that they support 4.8V or 7V depending on the receiver. A lot of the new receivers support 7V now. However the servos must also support 7V as the receiver does not do any voltage regulation for the servos. There are voltage regulators in most receivers that handle voltage to for the receiver itself, however I am not sure how far you could push them.

Futaba actually rates the 603FS at 4.8 to 6V (http://www.rc.futaba.co.jp/english/reciever/ground01/r603fs.html) so at 6.6 you would be outside that. I know a lot of people are using Life Batteries (LiFePO4) and I have read some articles in the forums about this very subject and some guys swear by LiFePO4 packs. The safe route is to go with a BEC (voltage regulator), they are small and would not add much weight and they run about $20. They are specifically designed to be used in conjunction with LiPo receiver packs.

I have been researching receivers batteries myself recently and I am thinking about going LiPo with a BEC. You can get some very powerful batteries that are very small form factor.

D
David,

The 6v rating you show above is for a 6v battery, which fully charges to around 7.4. The maximum voltage rating.

Ron,

You are probably right and from what I have read on here with people using the LiFePO4 packs with no problems that would probably support that. I guess I am a chicken and it comes from my heli days. When putting several thousand dollar flying lawn mowers in the air we were always very conservative.

D

I have used 2S lipo (7.2 volt) with no regulator for years. I use many different brands of radios and have never had a failure. I have a friend that uses a 9 volt battery and has no problems (I have never used the 9 volt deal, so I can't recommend it).

Glenn

Glenn

I was afraid to post the 9 volt deal. I have a friend that also says all they ever ran in their plane were 9 volt batteries. I spoke with Ron Zaker Jr. several years ago about this. He said it didn't sound like a good idea. Still my buddy says thats all they ever ran and never had a problem.

Go figure, Nub

Back