Waterproof Switch

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Steele

I just finished a waterproof switch for my JAE 21. It is made using a magnetic reed switch, covered with a tube. The glass reed switch is pictures in the middle. It is held in the tube with goo. With the cover taped, to turn off the battery you place the magnet on the outside close to where the switch is. I have used these with my RC sailboats but not any nitro boats. We'll see how it works when the water becomes liquid again. The nice thing about this setup is that you don't have to drill a hole in the radio box for a switch.

P1000311(1).JPG

A few years ago I bought a few of those to experiment with.

After some tinkering and thinking about it a bit, I decided not to risk a nitro boat on such a thin connection.

I was worried about vibration and rough water switching it off.

Also not sure how much current the switch would handle since I tend to use 300+ oz./inch steering servos.

Although the boat i was considering it for was using a voltage regulator, in this case the switch wires see only tiny amounts of current(more like signal)

I also had two of them physically break apart in my hands. The one in your pic looks a little more robust though

Let us know if it works, I still love the idea of less holes in a boat.

The switch I have is rated at 1 Amp - 25 Watts. I buy it locally but you can find all kinds of switches at http://www.meder.com/index.php?id=2724. On my sailboat the servos we use with the switch are 345 oz/inch at 6 volts. The unknown is whether they will handle the vibration. Be sure to get a normally on switch. That way the magnet turns the switch off.

what problems are you trying to solve by using this switch?

the $3 dubro kwik switch has yet to leak/fail on me...i drown my radio equipment in CorrosionX throughout the season..

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a switch very similar to that a couple years back on a smaller nitro boat, I bought it from an R\C Plane site (don't remember the name) it was totally encased in heat shrink and hot glue and worked very well. Had the boat running low to mid 40's and Bounced, Flipped, Dunked and even Took Flight a few times and never had an issue with the switch other than Price ($30+).

Latest posts

Back