Water temp and affect on performance

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talonxracer

I wanted to get some time on the Nemesis before the water freezes over. How does water temp affect how a water cooled motor run's? Is there any benefit to adding a restrictor in the tubing before it enters the head?

Doug

From the testing done in OZ recently with the MAC21 and SPP pipe water restriction is needed to get the motor to come on sweet. I have a MAC lawless SPP nemesis ready soon and I will probably be calling Andy for an air cooled head for the MAC21.

Dave

But would you restrict the water flow entering the head or exiting?

Bob,

Entering is better. Exiting may cause excessive backpressure and blow the water line off and then you have no water at all. Besides restricting the incoming side retains a constant flow and that is what you want to see for the proper temp.

John

From the testing done in OZ recently with the MAC21 and SPP pipe water restriction is needed to get the motor to come on sweet. I have a MAC lawless SPP nemesis ready soon and I will probably be calling Andy for an air cooled head for the MAC21.

Dave
Dave, the air cooled head work well on the MAC.

I'll do one better.....the Mac outboard needs to have major water restriction or air cooling to be of any use to a racer.

Useless without it………….

I'll do one better.....the Mac outboard needs to have major water restriction or air cooling to be of any use to a racer.

Useless without it………….
So, given that the MAC and CMB are "somewhat similar" would this be the case for a CMB 21RS O/B?

Gino :)

Useless without it………….
Would this be the case for a CMB 21RS O/B?

Gino :)
Yes Gino - it is important with any water cooled engine (particularly O/B's). You may have seen me checking the head temps on Mark's engine yesterday. I'll show you what I do next time I see you at the pond B)

Tim.

Dave
Dave, the air cooled head work well on the MAC.

Andy

could you please pm me with a P&A on a air cooled head for my MAC21

Thanks Dave

Tim

Any outboard results yesterday??

seeya

Dave

Tim

Any outboard results yesterday??

seeya

Dave
Just a practice day Dave - race day is the end of the month. Gino got his Nemesis / CMB going toward the end of the day - pipe was too short early in the day, but he worked it out eventually. (man those boats are BIG!) I forgot to measure the length of the pipe but I'm sure he will let us know.

Mark's Lynx was the other O/B there running on the day. The mac was working well B)

The Special K67 pipe worked well in the rigger too.

Hi,all sorry for posting my question on your trend, I've some what have a related question to issue discuss. I've a CMB 21 Marino TT OB and I'm using stamp J pipe, what the trick with this motor?Do I need to restrict the water flow on em? I intend to change the pipe to cooper's due to noise level. All informaton is greatly appreciated. :) Ezzy

Entering is better. Exiting may cause excessive backpressure and blow the water line off and then you have no water at all. Besides restricting the incoming side retains a constant flow and that is what you want to see for the proper temp.

John

Actually just the opposite is true.You restrict the system outlet for better control and temperature regulation.

The cooling system has to stay full totally full of water to maintain control.The only way to maintain a full system is to have the outlet sized at the head smaller than the inlet.After the head outlet you don't care what happens to thw water to be dumped back into the pond.

If the outlet is larger than the inlet,especially on the bigger bore motors,you run the risk of the water flashing into steam in the water jacket and leaving voids in the head that get no cooling water at all.When you set up your inlets and outlets on your head make them 180 degress apart from each other.If the inlet and outlet are next to each other the water path will short circuit and no cooling water will reach the the opposite side of the head.

If you are concerned about over pressurizing the system just size the inlet to be a bit larger in area than the outlet.I.E. For a K&B 3.5 Outboard.....make the inlet 1/16" in diameter and the outlet .040" in diameter.

Notice on the K&B outboard head there is a divider dam in the water jacket separating the inlet from the outlet ports.They do this to elleviate the short circuiting I mentioned before.

The sizing of the inlet[at the rudder or water pick-up] and outlet ports[at the head outlet]is what determines the system pressure.

Remember,you can have pressure with no flow but you cannot have flow without pressure.

As a whole RC model boaters have "always" run their motors way to cold.

I know this is another subject but these two subjects go hand in hand.

There have been several discussions in this forum on motor "staging".Raising the motor operating temperature is the primary element in getting a motor to stage.

Stoichiometric or "perfect" air fuel combustion is what causes a motor to stage.That is when all the stars are lined up and mother nature [the laws of physics]are at their best.The higher the nitro percentage flashed in a confined area at the perfect temperature to allow this flashing to take place,the more power the motor will make.

On .21 outboard motors I believe it is impossible to get them hot enough to do any physical damage to the motor,no matter what style head they have on them.If they get to warm with their preset supporting fuel flow they just go lean and die but they don't hurt themselves.Just richen them up and go out do it again until you get it right.There just isn't enough combustion heat in a .21 outboard to overwhelm the ability of the motors aluminum mass to carry the heat away before any damage occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stoichiometric Combustion

Stoichiometric or Theoretical Combustion is the ideal combustion process during which a fuel is burned completely. A complete combustion is a process which burns all the carbon © to (CO2), all hydrogen (H) to (H2O) and all sulfur (S) to (SO2). If there are unburned components in the exhaust gas such as C, H2, CO the combustion process is uncompleted.

Many Thanks to Rod Geraghty for His post, I have found what he said to be true in the operation of my heavily modified TT motors. I have been using some low volume/ high compression head buttons in these motors,, while running them so rich it takes a couple laps to build enough heat to get'em to go.

The water flow is "pinched" down to "finest spritz" possible and many times when the boat comes back to shore you can't even hold onto the head for One Second! This is the area where the engine runs best, believe it or Not,,,even in 95degree weather.

It's the "lining up all the stars" part that is the most difficult to aquire (needle setting) and I'm going to a 3rd channel needle for next season in an effort to "line up them stars" a little quicker :)

The TT engines I run like this have not shown any excessive wear,, it's quite surprising.

1/8th scale buggys with .21 engines run best at about 240 to 250 degrees with 30% nitro. i would think you would want the head somewhere near that temp when your boat comes off the water.

Back