Variable Air Cooling

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Drust

I don't know if this was a stupid idea or a good one, only time will tell. Other members suggested I run water cooling on my engine, as it had a water cooled head, however I really did not want to run the lines for it and I am thinking my idea here will give me more options.

These are just 16ga aluminum plates stacked up as a heatsink and used to hold the head button down. I am sure three will be too much cooling, so I can remove a plate at a time to reduce the level. Besides, I think it looks kind of interesting compared to the original head on the engine. If for what ever reason I need more cooling, all I have to do is put some thermal paste between the plates and their effectiveness will jump up.

JAE-12-06.JPG

JAE-12-07.JPG

Well, I did not make it round, as I wanted it to keep my pressure line to the pipe from going anywhere. The fins, and the high speed needle keep the pressure line pretty contained.

Eric,

You will not need any cooling on a 12 motor if you load it with the right propeller

and run it rich enough to perform. Many do not have enough load on their motors

so they lean them out and get in trouble. I am running no cooling and the speed

keeps it just perfect. I have tried many different combinations getting ready for

Hobart and I can share with you that these 12 motors when loaded properly will

run with most 21 Hydros.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

I would suggest getting rid of the fins that go over the carb. I know you put a hole in it but I have had certain vortexs around carbs that caused problem.

Mike

Mark, Thanks for the info. I have been somewhat paranoid I would burn this engine up due to lack of cooling. I feel a lot more confident about it now. I run it more on the rich side anyway. This is a sport .18 though, not a .12, but I think my results should be similar.

Mike, I will give it a try first and see how it goes, but if anything seems fishy, it won't take much to recut these with no material near the carb.

Eric, nice thought and something different, shows that you are thinking out-of-the-box, I like that. While you are playing, one thing that you may want to think about is the temperature of the air entering the engine. The cooler the air, the denser the charge, the more consistent the needle setting and the more power the engine can produce. Ever noticed how much better your car runs at night when the air is cooler and denser, same thing. It would help if you turned your add-on fins around away from the carb and added a deflector plate between the carb and the engine. Not criticizing, just giving you something to think about. :)

One other thing, as Mike Hughes suggested, design the deflector so that the air stream does not blow ACROSS the opening of the carb. It does not make any difference as to which carb it is, this really messes up the airflow thru the carb.

Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it looks like I designed this thing all wrong then.

I can't turn it around, as it would be in the way of the pull start.

As is, it will warm the air so the engine won't run right, and with it directing airflow wrong, that too won't make the engine run right.

Time to go back to the drawing board...

Tom, no theory, all hard scientific fact.

I was trying to encourage Eric in his creative approach to variable cooling and point out some things that do make a difference. Creativity needs to be cultivated rather than discouraged. Everyone knows that we need more creative people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proven fact old Tommy boy. Had a Gary Russel rigger that would not tune until I put a little piece of plastic over the the carb to get the air further away from the carb. Here is a link to the boat. https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=51&pos=6 You can see the plastic tape to the deck. It would flip back when running. Flip forward for access. Had plenty other boats that ran better without cowls because of the same issues.

Mike

Tom, no theory, all hard scientific fact.

I was trying to encourage Eric in his creative approach to variable cooling and point out some things that do make a difference. Creativity needs to be cultivated rather than discouraged. Everyone knows that we need more creative people.
Geez i know , but what the hell at least try it ..nothing to lose . At least then he will realize the benefits further after a change ?

Mike ...I like that handle ' OLD Tommy Boy ' LOL

Just busting your balls. :D I would have to aggree to give it a try. Wont hurt a thing.

Mike

Latest posts

Back