Two carb intake setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in 1969 when I was a Senior in high school, I had been flying R/C airplanes for about 2 years but I was mostly still flying controline Combat and Rat Race airplanes. I was doing my own engine work and one of the men I flew R/C with was getting into Pylon Racing. K&B had some powerful Series 67 .40 size engines out at the time which were the engine of choice in our area. These were rear disk rotor racing engines that you normally used a pressure fuel system with. K&B also had a potent front rotor engine that most parts would interchange with the rear rotor engine. I got an idea! What if you took the rear rotor engine and bolted on the front rotor crank and housing and ran BOTH the front rotor venturi and the rear rotor venturi? All I had to do was machine a hard steel pin to press into the hollow crank pin on the front rotor crankshaft to drive the rear rotor and presto! A.40 size racing engine with two intakes. Using the usual pressure fuel system for these aircraft at the time, we would use a "normal" setting on the front venturi and do all of the fine tuning on the rear venturi needle valve. No tuned pipes on these engines yet, but we did use what was called a "mini pipe", which was about 1 inch in diameter and 4 inches long ( and VERY loud ). When we did get to fly the airplane it was VERY fast. I don't think he flew it more than a few times before he strained it though a line of trees with the fuselage coming out on the other side like a spear. The pilot ( not me ) was more use to 100 MPH Pattern airplanes and not 160 MPH Pylon Racers. I also tried this same engine on a controline Rat Racer and it did not do as well as I had hoped. It did better on the R/C plane I think because it would "unload" the propeller more to put out more power. Anyway, just wanted to share this story for those of you who are thinking about the two carb thing.

Dick Tyndall
Very cool thinking I had a RR Torpedo with an Octura Mega Exhaust Stack LOL Loud man it would Echo big time when the engine stopped.

Wish I still had it....

Latest posts

Back