Wild Thing Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzMandella

So I am going to start my ML Boatworks Wild Thing Build thread . So I started out gluing the jig together . I used the kitchen counter to do this as granite is extremely flat . I used a framing square that I clamped it to in both directions .
20201213_131212.jpg

I then proceeded to glue the bulkheads and engine rails together .

20201213_155747.jpg

20201214_155330.jpg

I noticed that the bulkheads on the edges were a little out of square . So depending on which way you put them together I either had a concave(a V) on the edges or a convex (a peak down the middle of the two) . So I decided to glue them with a convex so I could lightly sand the edges flat . Also removing the burn from the laser cutting . So I ordered some shop tools and got a WEN 4" X 36" BenchTop Belt Sander with 6" Disk and A WEN Drill Press . Should be here Fri and Sat . Until then not much more can be done .

I also ordered a NR .21M Keep from Ron Shaw the other day . I already have a NR 50040 pipe but need to get a preasure fitting for it and a header .

I'm a fan of the wild thing. There was a build thread quite a while back on here that somebody did. But I never did hear how well it ran or anything. I have the plans from the airage store on line, and I will be building it. I bet it will be an outstanding hull.

I have the nova Rossi.21 Keep MP. I have been running it for about 1 1/2 seasons. I can tell you that there are a lot of ponies in that engine. I have not been able to tap it's potential though.

I first started running it with the 5004 pipe that you are going to use and the pipe offers a lot of torque but I could never get the RPMs out of the motor with that pipe. since then I've been trying other pipes. I'm not giving up on the 5004 pipe yet I may have to adjust the stinger length and work with it a bit more. So that means the best is yet to come. Don't forget to take your time breaking in your Nova Rossi you won't be disappointed.

I saw your post about the trim tabs that you want to put on the boat. I will tell you not to be afraid of using the speed master trim tabs with the thin metal and screws. I've seen those on Many Mono hulls over the years, and some of these boats I could not consistently win against with a boat without trim tabs.

The nice thing about speed master trim tabs is you can work with them change the angles, and tapper side to side a little if needed. that won't work is well with the billet ones you were picking out. Nothing wrong with the billet trim tabs either just pointing out some adjustability with the thin metal ones.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. For me building the boat is as much fun as racing them.

Good luck Man

Jim

on all of my monos with nr power . i use the ops 3280. yea, old school but i have reaiiy good results with them. like props there are a lot of different pipes out there to try. so far the 3280 works for me

I'm a fan of the wild thing. There was a build thread quite a while back on here that somebody did. But I never did hear how well it ran or anything. I have the plans from the airage store on line, and I will be building it. I bet it will be an outstanding hull.

I have the nova Rossi.21 Keep MP. I have been running it for about 1 1/2 seasons. I can tell you that there are a lot of ponies in that engine. I have not been able to tap it's potential though.

I first started running it with the 5004 pipe that you are going to use and the pipe offers a lot of torque but I could never get the RPMs out of the motor with that pipe. since then I've been trying other pipes. I'm not giving up on the 5004 pipe yet I may have to adjust the stinger length and work with it a bit more. So that means the best is yet to come. Don't forget to take your time breaking in your Nova Rossi you won't be disappointed.

I saw your post about the trim tabs that you want to put on the boat. I will tell you not to be afraid of using the speed master trim tabs with the thin metal and screws. I've seen those on Many Mono hulls over the years, and some of these boats I could not consistently win against with a boat without trim tabs.

The nice thing about speed master trim tabs is you can work with them change the angles, and tapper side to side a little if needed. that won't work is well with the billet ones you were picking out. Nothing wrong with the billet trim tabs either just pointing out some adjustability with the thin metal ones.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. For me building the boat is as much fun as racing them.

Good luck Man

Jim
Thank you very much James . I appreciate the input . I am looking forward to running the Keep MP . I have always been an engine guy . I spent almost 10yrs racing in the NASCAR local series as a crewman and later crew chief . I also have been around and owned 18' flat bottom v-drives my whole life . At this time I am restoring a 1969 Mandella Sk Short deck that was my fathers . Restoring it to original including the 427 FE Ford in it . Twostroke is a different animal but I'm sure I will catch on . I actually decided to go with the regular tabs since everyone advocates them but also lighter . And I agree that building them is as rewarding as racing them

Thanks for the pipe info John. Most of the challenge is finding a pipe short enough to get my 8.5" pipe length.

Most of the pipes today are good for the straight back front exuahst engines Like the beta and NR DD.

9" is as short as I can go on my wrap around NR keep before I get into the tapper on the pipe.

The only pipe I have found that I can get at 8 to 8.5 is my MAC pipe.

What length have you been able to attaine on your wrap around NR with your OPS pipe?

Thanks Jim

the best spot is 8'', start out at 8 1/4'' and see how it runs coming up on the pipe, if it is slow on response at 8 1/4 your prop may be a little too big. started out with a x642, 645 and wound up with a 440/3/ if you have some good power you can go to a sholund 1614 chopper or cleaver. amazing speed with these props

So Christmas came early . Got my sander and drill press yesterday . So I preceded to sand down the edges of the bulkheads till they were flat . I took precautions to make sure I did not sand more on one side than the other , to make sure the length on each side stayed the same , and after finishing it only reduced the transom height by 1/64"20201219_095146.jpg

20201219_115426.jpg

20201219_115841.jpg
20201219_115435.jpg

oddball thing i have in my tools is a mini plane, about 2'' long. i use it a lot in my wood builds, and lotsa clamps. if you think you have enough buy more, lol

Now that the Hollidays are over things have settled down I have gotten back to work . After lots of time spent doing dry fitment and sanding and re fitting I was ready to start gluing the hull together . I decided to glue the transom and first bulkhead together with the radiobox sides only to make sure the first part stayed extremly square .20210116_133156.jpg

20210116_133335.jpg

After letting it dry over night I then glued the engine rails and foreward bulkhead together ,
20210117_132128.jpg
By doing it in 2 different steps I was able keep fitment real tight and square as it can get .

Also after being lost in N Carolina in the USPS system for 3 weeks the .21 KEEP finally showed up .

20210116_140301.jpg

BY the way the stand I used to clamp the jig to is the jig I made for the Bob Tuttle sport 20 I got from Bob .20210103_155058.jpg

Looking good! They should be good competitive hulls when you get done.

Its fun to build boats. Keep us in the loop with your progress. Enjoying the thread

thanks Jim

Looking good! They should be good competitive hulls when you get done.

Its fun to build boats. Keep us in the loop with your progress. Enjoying the thread

thanks Jim
Thanx . I will start a Build thread when I get going with the Sport 20 . All I have done is cleaned up the parts and done a test fit . The jig was so level and square that I am using it ti put the jig that came with the MLBW kit . It fits perfect . I have also decided all my boats are going to get wire drives . And yes they are fun to build . I have done freeflight , control lie and rc planes since I was 11 . Did boats for a little while also about25 yrs or so ago .

That Bob Tuttle hydro kit looks great! And it’s not even glued up yet.
I think it’s good you post this boat. It word of mouth and results based on experience that brought us the brand name hulls we have today, and this could be a new contender for 20 sport hydro.

I don’t know Bob, but I’ve seen his post a few years back on his M&M’s sport 20 he built so he’s been working on his Design for a while. Plus he reached out to me and offered me some Delrin plastic for my motor mount one time on here. For some guy he never knew on the other side of the USA. I’m glad to see people in the hobby of the best doing something great! I wish the best for him and others that make great contributions to our hobby.

there are some good folks in theRC boat community.
Don’t over think things while building, have fun and build it!!
Here’s my scratch built Dave Frank design. I built it on my table Saw for this coming season.
Enjoy your projects

thanks
Jim

Attachments

• B3EA984D-7AFC-48BC-93FF-351973743169.jpeg
    B3EA984D-7AFC-48BC-93FF-351973743169.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
So I got the floor skins on . The hull stayed straight as an arrow and if I check with my digital angle finder I am no more than .3 of a degree from side to side . I then clamped each side down so i could add epoxy fillets to the engine rails and bulkheads where they joined the floor . I also ordered my rudder , strut , motor mounts and trim tabs from speedmaster today . Tomorrow I will call Wohlt's and order the wire drive .
20210122_161848.jpg20210122_161941.jpg20210124_121918.jpg

Latest posts

Back