turbo glow plugs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo colon

I feel lost here, what are these turbo plugs? I almost feel i came out of a time warp...

is there any particular one better than the rest? what would a .18 OS engine benefit from running a turbo, instead of a say an OPS or Nova Rossi .21's running McCoy #9's @30% nitro? (70% if I could get my hands on a gallon that high)

Last edited by a moderator:
The "turbo" plug is just a name for a conical seal glow plug. Instead of a brass or copper seal that comes with a regular plug. It does have a better seal but they are more expensive and I don't feel are worth the hassle..

turbo plugs are not worth it.. you may MAY gain 500 rpm buy them if you are lucky.. but the cost ofset the gains twofold.

as for 70% no mfg mixes that high. unless you find someone that mixes fuel out of there house/garage that is the only way.

you can thank homeland security for that.

www.byronfuels.com mixes 55% that is what i run

Try Fhs fuel (redmax) they show up to 80% nitro fuel on their price list. Use to be quality fuel. I assume it still is.

The following test results were achieved with Nelson cold turbo plugs mounted in Nelson double bubble type heads. McCoy #9 plugs were also tested in the same type heads. Deck clearances of .001" to .011" were used. Fuels tested were 15% to 80% nitro with 8% oil. .15 to .21 cuin engines turned 1000 to 1200 RPM more; .40 to .45 cuin engines turned 800 to 1000 RPM more; .65 to .95 cuin engines turned 100 to 200 RPM more.

Jim Allen

seems like a bigger deal than I thought with the .21s,... Did the different type plug require a different deck height?

My curiosity comes from a JAE/.18 OS engine for sale on the forums; going through the engine specs I came across it being a turbo head plug.

I'd more than likely run 30% for the time, and am grateful for your input!!

You can achieve similar results with a standard plug if you shim plug so that threaded portion of plug does not protrude into dome of combustion chamber. This allows a more natural turbulence to take place in combustion chamber and allows air/fuel mixture to a better and smoother path to the ignition source resulting in a more efficient burn. This in turn leads to more rpm's. By making more of a hemispherical combustion chamber with a less impeded flow to the ignition plug just like a turbo plug head.

You can achieve similar results with a standard plug if you shim plug so that threaded portion of plug does not protrude into dome of combustion chamber. This allows a more natural turbulence to take place in combustion chamber and allows air/fuel mixture to a better and smoother path to the ignition source resulting in a more efficient burn. This in turn leads to more rpm's. By making more of a hemispherical combustion chamber with a less impeded flow to the ignition plug just like a turbo plug head.
Just curious as to how you came to your conclusion. Do you have any test data to support it.

Charles

I like the turbos because they are more durable in my .21's. I usually only get a few runs out of the hotter standard plugs because the filament wire is so fragile, the turbos last and last and last. It was an economic move for me to switch most of my small engines over. I still run standard plugs in my larger engines.

Just curious as to how you came to your conclusion. Do you have any test data to support it.

Charles
Charles, I would ask the same question

Not with boats, but with offroad and Onroad 1/12 down to 1/8 scale. You just provide a cleaner path to the ignition source. Does this not make sense? Have no real hard factual data, just better lap times.and lower fuel consumption. Same principle of drag racers indexing their spark plugs to unshroud center electrode. Try it.

turbo plugs are not worth it.. you may MAY gain 500 rpm buy them if you are lucky.. but the cost ofset the gains twofold.

as for 70% no mfg mixes that high. unless you find someone that mixes fuel out of there house/garage that is the only way.

you can thank homeland security for that.

www.byronfuels.com mixes 55% that is what i run
redmax & technology fuel(john otto) will mix what you want ;) . just got 65% from john at the fall nats.

I run Turbo Plugs in my MAC 21. I noticed a fairly significant increase in RPM. I have great results with the O Donnell 77 plug.....

anyone have any idea where to buy a reamer to make a turbo head with
Not sure steve but you can make you own

I reshaped the end of a carbide tiped drill

sounds bad but it actually works quite well

Greg
at a good chance a d bit would be ground to the required shape for this sort of operation. it would be worth your while to goto your local tool patern maker to have one made in a tool grinder.

and greg did you get the pipe off kris that donated to you.

I haven't tried it myself - or got round to buying one to try, but I've read that a number 3 centre drill will get the job done, and has the correct 60 degree cutting face angle..........

Latest posts

Back