Tuning engine in cold weather...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstew0903

I went to run my K&B 3.5 outboard tunnel and my thunder tiger 3.5. I had them both tuned great for 75-80 degree weather. I went to run them both this morning in 50 degree weather and the kept stalling. I tried to richen them up but it didnt seem to help. Any advise,(Other than waiting till it warms up) is greatly appeciated.

Jason

Jason,

The primary reason you had trouble is as you intially suspected, the air is more dense in cooler weather. So, going richer on the needle was a good thought. However, as Jerry mentioned, a hot plug will help tremendously as it will be less likely to die when the extra fuel sprays on it. Also, be aware that the engine takes longer to warm up in cooler weather so keep that in mind as you "mash the throttle".

Man! I hope I remember this stuff in 4 years. :'(

Thanks for the help guys I'll try that. Also what are the disadvantagesof running a hotter plug like a mc59 mccoy. I know when I pull my glow driver off of the plug the idle drops quite a bit. I have trouble keeping it running when I richen it up to where it will run right without leaning out. Anyone live near Tampa Fl. I would like to go run boats together if you do.

Jason

I thought that you said cold weather. Come on up to Michigan, Illinois or Wisconsin if you want to run in the cold! ;D ;D ;D Currently 32 with freezing rain.

And what about our boys 'down under'? I saw on the weather site that the temps there plummeted to a chilly 92 degrees yesterday! :eek: BRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

HAHA I'm expecting a drop all the way down to 110 degrees on Saturday : :)

or around 40 degrees in the 'real' scale ;)

Latest posts

Back