The Wall

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim,

Your order will ship with Dave's order if that's OK? It should go out this next

week. I think I may need an address from one of you fellas. Shoot me a PM

or Email with your address.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Thats fine with me Mark.

I'll email you my details with the transfer details.

Guys

I'm not disputing that prop weight is an issue - especially for hydros. My point was that hydros and tunnels are quite different beasts and prop weight comparisons are not really valid - classic apples and oranges comparison.

I would not expect an OB hydro to run as fast as an inboard because the weight at the prop really will be a big issue. I also think a mojor problem is the mechanical inefficiency of the OB drive rather than a conventional IB set-up.

Launching may pose a problem and if weight at the prop was such an issue for tunnels I noted the likes of some very famous and fast tunnel racers have talked about their record holding tunnels being quite heavy. At least in some limited way this supports my viewpoint that the tunnel predominantly carries the weight.

A thought of a possible solution - an adjustable trim that lifts the motor high during launch and can be progressively lowered and trimmed down as the tunnel reaches full planning speed. Complicated I admit but if you think about it a tunnel can only be precisely trimmed for a very limited speed range at full plane - before you get to that point the hull cannot be in trim and beyond that point the hull is also out of trim (most likely to blow off). Hey no one said it was easy and in a lot of ways I think it is much harder for a tunnel to go fast than a hydro because of the characteristics of the hull design. More power to the guys who can get them to go fast.

Gary,

Right On! It is hard to go fast with whatever you choose. For me it is the 21

Hydro, and for Bob,Gene,and Mark they love there Tunnels. Each hull and

setup will bring a certain amount of obstacles to over come. Whoever spends

the time at the lake, and tries different solutions, will most likely be the one who

sets the record. This and every form of motorsports it is all about what Roger

Penske says "Effort Equals Results"

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

Back