The rudder on gas mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boris Mazor

Dear boat builders!

Please, share your experience with rudder position on the deep-V gas mono.

I placed rudder 3 1/2 inch from center line, to the right side and 4 inch from transom to leading edge.

NO LEFT TURN IF SPEED IS OVER 45 mph!

The turn fins, trim tabs, sceg hot help!

This morning I moved rudder closer to center line - 2 1/5 inch.

PERFECT LEFT TURN IF SPEED IS OVER 45 mph!

NO turn fins, NO sceg!

I think we have to keep rudder as close to center line as possible. Perhaps ONE PROP DIAMETER??

Thanks. Boris

he Boris !

the rudder on a gas mono should not be further off center than 2 1/2 inch . as a matter of fact , that is the most common distance. . sometimes we go even closer . like 2 inch ore so .

dont go any closer , at the gas mono.s you like to run a bigger diameter prop and you might damage the blade if you mount the rudder any closer ...

In germany some like to run the rudder right behind the prop with no offset .. you can turn perfectly to the left and right , but the tend to spin out once in a while .. NO heat race setup !

jeroen

Boris, a rule of thumb (kind of). Place the rudder directly behind the engine rails; i.e., 5" rails, 2-1/2" offset. This is also a stronger part of the transom.

Boris, a rule of thumb (kind of). Place the rudder directly behind the engine rails; i.e., 5" rails, 2-1/2" offset. This is also a stronger part of the transom.
Ron! You are right! The rudder placed to the right of center line works like a brake for the right side of boat and compensate left turn. When my rudder was 3.5 inch of center line the boat even lightly going right when I tried to make it left!

A brake, I don't know. Offsetting the rudder to the right will put more rudder in the water when making right turns but placing it too far out will make it so that there is barely any rudder in the water when making lefts. I just like the offset rudder as it makes it easier to remove the flex cable for lubing.

Back