The FE Sport Scale Rule Change Proposal

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jstevens said:
Like Kevin says, simplicity is the best.

Let the cell count, appearance and pond conditions set the standard.

Other than that, you just create more work for the hosting clubs.

Jeff

91449[/snapback]

Shouldn't we at least have a length range established for each class??? The way you guys are talking, you'll have 20" boats racing against 27" boats, and that's just silly...

Not everyone can own a boat for all conditions, as you are describing would be necessary for the above scenario...

How tough would it be to monitor length standards...?? Not very...

I still think a compelling reason to keep measurements is the SAW thing.

I for one want to see the same hulls we race on an oval run at the SAWs. It's a wow factor for boats we use every day.

It also challenges us, e.g. how did that guy get 60 mph out a No Step?

Yes, there will be some scratch built creative exceptions, but expecially in the sport classes; chances are good that what is run at the SAWs will be off the shelf.

That won't be the case if there are no measurement specs. Smaller boats will be able to run the trap.

The SAWs have are an integral part of the FE culture. I'd like to keep them that way.

TRUCKPULL said:
I still think that we should change the 60% after plane to 55% in the new proposal.With Lipos coming maybe next year,

and then hull design changes for the lighter battery packs, causing faster boats.

We will then start to see a lot of different sponson attack angles, sponson depths, and sponson lengths.

Do we really want to restrict the people that design these boats for us, to 60% after plane.

Or we could just use the first line of rule 2-d

All riding surfaces in the front 50% of the hull.

Larry

NAMBA - 615

And May Your Prop Always Be WET

91435[/snapback]

Sorry, I was reading it wrong.

I see now that it says 60% max. after plane.

With rule 2-d after plane would have to be between 50% min. and 60% max.

Larry

If someone has a shovelnose lke a Bandit, Aussie, or a Dark Horse the afterplane narrows like a typical classic shovelnose design. What are the measurements of the tunnel and the transom (at the bottom)? Can anyone check this? They may already be less than 70% at the bottom. I think that is why it is checked at the widest part of the transom.

KW

91471[/snapback]

Kevin

If you measure the widest part of the transum and not the water line.

How are you going to stop a rigger tub with a wide 1/8" deck.

Larry

Shouldn't we at least have a length range established for each class??? The way you guys are talking, you'll have 20" boats racing against 27" boats, and that's just silly...
Not everyone can own a boat for all conditions, as you are describing would be necessary for the above scenario...
Darin I haven't met anyone that had 2 hulls for each class or been to a race with anyone like that.. So don't sweat that one

as far as 20" hulls vs. 27".. in the world of the great equalizer ie. Race water and multiple boats depending on the class Lets take P because no one would run a 27" boat in N2. So back to the race.. A 20" boat would either blow off, roll or be to unstable to race. Again I am refering to a sport hydro not a rigger

Darin Jordan said:
Shouldn't we at least have a length range established for each class???  The way you guys are talking, you'll have 20" boats racing against 27" boats, and that's just silly...

How tough would it be to monitor length standards...??  Not very...

91476[/snapback]

Darin,

Usually people have 1 boat for a given race class. Mainly due to the fact that club & events have a no-substitution boat rule. So conditions would dictate what boat might do better. Your best bet is to get a boat that handles smooth, calm and race conditions well.

If you are looking at Record Trials, then guys might have multiple boats for one class. Usually those boats are not good race boats to begin with.

Jeff

drobie said:
I still think a compelling reason to keep measurements is the SAW thing.
I for one want to see the same hulls we race on an oval run at the SAWs.  It's a wow factor for boats we use every day.

It also challenges us, e.g. how did that guy get 60 mph out a No Step?

Yes, there will be some scratch built creative exceptions, but expecially in the sport classes; chances are good that what is run at the SAWs will be off the shelf.

That won't be the case if there are no measurement specs.  Smaller boats will be able to run the trap.

The SAWs have are an integral part of the FE culture.  I'd like to keep them that way.

91479[/snapback]

Do you actaully think the JAGs boat could win in an oval race? SAW boats being the same as oval is all past history now (certainly in NAMBA). Most of those boats are purpose-built now. Plus, they change hardware set up (like losing the turn fin).

The Oval-SAW comparison is apples to oranges by now.

Hey, let the small group of people to attend the SAWs make SAW-specific sport hydro length rules, if they want them.

brooks93 said:
Darin I haven't met anyone that had 2 hulls for each class or been to a race with anyone like that.. So don't sweat that one

as far as 20" hulls vs. 27".. in the world of the great equalizer ie. Race water and multiple boats depending on the class Lets take P because no one would run a 27" boat in N2. So back to the race.. A 20" boat would either blow off, roll or be to unstable to race. Again I am refering to a sport hydro not a rigger

91488[/snapback]

It's riggers. too. You don't see any peewee riggers with cells jammed into them, going up against larger riggers. And, there are no length requirements in open hydro classes.

Power, weight, speed have all driven the hull lengths to a certain size in each class and virtually all hulls in each of the classes are the same size.

This is what will happen in sport hydro, if the length requirements are dropped. And, as a bonus, we lose all of the nit-picking about irrelevant shortages of fractions of an inch..

jstevens said:
Like Kevin says, simplicity is the best.

Let the cell count, appearance and pond conditions set the standard.

Other than that, you just create more work for the hosting clubs.

Jeff

91449[/snapback]

Knowing how tightly those Michigan guys budget time in the mornings, spending a couple of hours teching boats should be a breeze! :)

Knowing how tightly those Michigan guys budget time in the mornings, spending a couple of hours teching boats should be a breeze! :)

91561[/snapback]

haha We love you too Kevin.

Hopefully Al will beat us into submission.

Tech. Schmek.

I think if there is going to be any tech it should be the 3 placing boats after the heat. That way if your canard made of packing tape or your little balls of tape made to lengthen your hull fall off your DQed :D

If we're going to be pr :D cks about it lets be BIG pr :D cks!

j/k

Charlie

I think Terry should tech 500 or so boats before the race. I'd be pissed if I got taken out by a non legal hull that should not have been there in first place!

In fact we should all fly in a few days earlier to get in line. Hope I don't have the last 10 boats. :(

Dam that last idea will cost me$$$ if I'm in line I won't need the hotel scratch that

No CUTS

TRUCKPULL said:
If someone has a shovelnose lke a Bandit, Aussie, or a Dark Horse the afterplane narrows like a typical classic shovelnose design. What are the measurements of the tunnel and the transom (at the bottom)? Can anyone check this? They may already be less than 70% at the bottom. I think that is why it is checked at the widest part of the transom.

KW

91471[/snapback]

Kevin

Larry

91486[/snapback]

There would have to be two measurement points (at least) on the transom to prevent a flat sheeted top rigger from slipping through.

Like: Afterplane width at least 100% of tunnel width for the first half (of the afterplane) and at least 70% of tunnel width at the widest part of the transom.

or

Transom width at least 70% and the widest part of the transom and at least 60% at the transom bottom.

Something like that or a costumed rigger can weasel by.

KW

Pete B. said:
I think Terry should tech 500 or so boats before the race. I'd be pissed if I got taken out by a non legal hull that should not have been there in first place!In fact we should all fly in a few days earlier to get in line. Hope I don't have the last 10 boats. :(

Dam that last idea will cost me$$$ if I'm in line I won't need the hotel scratch that

No CUTS

91634[/snapback]

Now they got a good reason to add another day!

Tech day anybody? Don't forget a lawn chair! :) :) :)

KW

On the upside, our local NAMBA reps could spend a few of the hours catching us up with the latest rules the national organization took upon themselves to change without telling us or informing us. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin Whitehead said:
TRUCKPULL said:

KW

91471[/snapback]

Kevin

Larry

91486[/snapback]

There would have to be two measurement points (at least) on the transom to prevent a flat sheeted top rigger from slipping through.

Like: Afterplane width at least 100% of tunnel width for the first half (of the afterplane) and at least 70% of tunnel width at the widest part of the transom.

or

Transom width at least 70% and the widest part of the transom and at least 60% at the transom bottom.

Something like that or a costumed rigger can weasel by.

KW

91635[/snapback]

Drobie and I have measured Aussie Cabovers, and they are about 80% of tunnel width at the widest part of the transom, and 65% at the bottom of the transom. Your second proposeal seems easy and clear.

Cheers,

Scott.

Latest posts

Back