Teflon coupler

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterboy

How do you install the teflon couplers? I got some from Rocket City Racing and it is about 3" long and it is hard and not flexible at all. Please help. That is all that is keeping me from running a new build today.

How do you install the teflon couplers? I got some from Rocket City Racing and it is about 3" long and it is hard and not flexible at all. Please help. That is all that is keeping me from running a new build today.
Wear gloves and heat with propane torch. It's a *****, but once it's on it last a long time.. B) B) B)

How hot do you have to get it? Will I melt it if it gets too hot? I don't want to mess it up.

It gets softer make sure you know what setting you want for the pipe once it is on you cant move it Robert

Someone told me to set the pipe at 12" for my O.S.81 in my 44" Sightler mono is this correct?

Heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun. Make sure you have the pipe securely clamped though, as ive seen more then one become victom to the AMB waters from pipes falling out of the coupler while running.

Heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun. Make sure you have the pipe securely clamped though, as ive seen more then one become victom to the AMB waters from pipes falling out of the coupler while running.
If you do it right the pipe will not "fall out" of the teflon. A couple "pointers"-
1- make sure both the header & pipe are CLEAN where the teflon will sit. Take some 80 grit sandpaper & rough up the area the coupler with be on & CLEAN it again.

2- allow minimum one full inch of coupler to slide over both header and pipe ends. You need to give it ample grip area.

3- use a propane torch & heat evenly until teflon starts to get a glossy sheen to the areas heated, then install the coupler. Hair dryers and most heat guns will not get the teflon hot enough to let it easily expand and properly contract as it cools.

4- most important- DO THE HEATING OF TEFLON OUTSIDE OR WITH VERY GOOD VENTILATION!!! This fumes given off when heated are very toxic!!!

5- do one end at a time starting with the pipe. Use a black "sharpie" style marker & put a line on both the pipe & header to show where to slide coupler to. Hold the coupler with pliers or channel locks gripping just enough to hold it (don't grip too tight or you'll distort the teflon when it gets hot). Allow the teflon to cool for about a minute then heat up the other side & slide the header in to the same mark you made for reference.

I've been using teflon couplers for a while with great results. Do it right and they work well. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
3- use a propane torch & heat evenly until teflon starts to get a glossy sheen to the areas heated, then install the coupler. Hair dryers and most heat guns will not get the teflon hot enough to let it easily expand and properly contract as it cools.

The time i used one i had no problem with my heat gun getting it hot enough to go on. Guess my heat gun gets hotter then most :lol:

And to keep the fit of the Teflon-coupler OK ,

use a pair of the clamps as shown in the pictures.

On a running engine the Teflon will soften , and loose the fit.

'Gardenhose-clamps' will ruin the teflon.

Clamp_1.gif

Clamp_2.gif

Back