stinger dia. and length

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlokboats

is there a formula to get you close to the correct diameter and length of a stinger? i dont know what all is involved but would like to learn.

hope some motor/pipe gurus get in on this.

thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:
for a .12 motor. macs #1110 pipe.

i thought there was a ratio from carb bore to pipe stinger length/diameter?

google

gordon jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook

and all will be revealed. :D :D

Carl

.58 to .62 percent of the lead in pipe diameter and 12x this diameter in length.

Should save you some reading. But if you have time read the whole book it is a wealth of knowledge.

David

In general, the stinger diameter should be approximately 20% of the pipe's major diameter. The stinger's length should be 8 to 12 X its ID. Smaller diameters & longer lenghts will raise HP amounts, but not without raising engine temperatures. Smaller diameters are much more agressive in their effects than longer lengths, therefore care should be taken when applying diameter reductions. In order for these numbers to work the chambers volume should be approximately 22 to 25 X the displacement of the engine. Sometimes, a small reduction in compression ratio will allow smaller diameters & longer lengths while HP is increasing. Chambers which are giving a good boost will show pipe pressures of 100 to 120 inches of water at wide open throttle. This pressure makes the use of .625 ID carburetor bores on .90 size engines possible. These numbers should only be used as starting points. Dyno testing is necessary to determine final numbers.

For example, my .90cuin (15cc) engine's pipe has a major diameter of 2.200", a stinger ID of .469" & a stinger length of 4.5". Fuels used range from 65% to 80% nitro.

My 1.6cuin (26cc) engine's pipe has a major diameter of 2.400", a stinger ID of .406 & a stinger length of 5.5".

The fuel is 87 octane pump gas.

Jon,

Get one of Glenn's pipes and set it at 6.5" and tune propellers from there. :D

I am working on a new 12 pipe project and this is some good information.

A stinger of .250" I.D. is working the best on my new prototype pipe currently.

Jon I will have to look in my pipe collection I may have another.

Great Post Jon,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the internal stinger and it works very good, If you need to reduce the diameter of the stinger. This is the only way to go. No muffler needed and saves weight to boot.

David

thanks for all the replies. great information.

Get one of Glenn's pipes and set it at 6.5" and tune propellers from there.

been trying and he has none. with no time frame to when he will make more.

Latest posts

Back