Square Drive Forming Dies?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

Does anyone know where I can get a set of forming dies to do my own Square Drives? Both .150 and .187 sized cable?

You would need to have them machined. They need to be tapered at the outer portion so that the cable transitions smoothly from square to round. I can make you cables squared on one end or both. Its not too pricey and I turn them around fast.

Bob

Bob,

How much do you allow for the cable to slide into the collet?

I would like to send you a few shafts to square just the collet end.

Would like to know the measurement so I can fit the cable in the boat

Ahead of time. I do not want to cut the stub shaft. I am using the collets

you sent me last week.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Utility trailer used to do cables for tractor trailers. Possible lead....

Mark, .150 ends up with about an inch of square, it could touch the crank if the cable was too long. Cut a piece of wire and run it up the stuffing tube and thru strut. Allow it to hit the crank...make a mark at the trailing edge of the strut, where the dog would be. Pull the wire and measure. we'll deduct 1/4" you can cut it that length and I'll square it for you. How will you keep the cable from slipping out? And, if that solder joint fails...you're gonna lose your prop. Just sayin...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

We have a special collet like pinch collar that will hold the shaft in place in the engine well

area. A lot like Brad Christy was talking about earlier in a thread on square drive set ups.

This design has been proven many cycles for many years. We will not lose any shafts or

propellers.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Bob,

I doubt we will have any of those failures, we have a special way to prepare our drive lines.

You just need a good lubrication for longer shaft life.

Thanks For The Collets,

Mark Sholund

Bob,

I doubt we will have any of those failures, we have a special way to prepare our drive lines.

You just need a good lubrication for longer shaft life.

Thanks For The Collets,

Mark Sholund

Back