sport hydro strut

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

I'm building a very small sport hydro and I need some info on the strut. I've seen on most sport 40's that the strut actually goes through the bottom of the hull just in front of the transom and the prop sits just beyond the transom. I've seen some set up with normal type struts bolted to the transom also.

What's better and why? Where can I look at the type that goes through the bottom of the hull? Can I find one small enough for my application? (sport 12 atlas van lines)

anthony_marquart said:
I'm building a very small sport hydro and I need some info on the strut. I've seen on most sport 40's that the strut actually goes through the bottom of the hull just in front of the transom and the prop sits just beyond the transom. I've seen some set up with normal type struts bolted to the transom also.
What's better and why? Where can I look at the type that goes through the bottom of the hull? Can I find one small enough for my application? (sport 12 atlas van lines)

77457[/snapback]

The rules for IMPBA states:

7. No part of the strut may protrude behind the transom of the boat, or have a width greater than 9/16 inches or a length longer than 3 inches.

There is some discussion on this topic for the Sport 20 class that is getting popular also. Search for that one also.

Since you are building the boat for fun. I would put the strut on the back. That small of a boat is going to get crowded in a hurry and getting to an inboard mounted strut to make adjustments may be a pain. In my testing I found no difference in the way a boat ran between the two locations.

Mark

Back