Sport 40 speeds?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somers Racing

Hey guys, I was wondering if 50-65 mph is to fast for a heat race boat. I will be running a AC sport 40 with speedmaster strut and .21 speedmaster rudder. If I run 40% Redmax fuel, mckoy #9's, and I think it is a 447 or 448 three blade prop, what speeds do you think it will run? I know setups can vary, but I would like a ball park if I can get it. I have my thoughts set on 55mph. What do you guys think? I know it is a stupid question, and I usually get mad when people ask it, but I would like a guesstimate.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Have fun, and race safe!!!

do you think you will be able to get a sport 40 to stay on the water at that speed??

Hey, a lot of guys that I race with do. With the right setup, and good balance, I can to. I just hope that I can hit over 50 with it. Don't forget, you don't hold it open all the time! If you are a smart, cautious driver, you wll reserve that speed for times when your friend is on your butt, and you want to hold your possition. You don't race on the edge, and risk a blow over, or it getting out of shape for no reason.

What do you think?

I think I could get it to stick on the water. If you just play than it might not stay down because you are wide open. I race, and I race smart when I can. I don't mean to jump on you, but it is all in the setup and the driver. I hope you don't take it personal. I didn't mean it if you do. Just excited to get it running when the ice thaughs here.

Thanks for the reply.

Peter

Have fun and race safe!!!

Pete,

i race to win, if im not in the lead i will try my hardest to get there, if i blow off in the chase oh well, it has happened to me lots of times!!

i havent seen a good sport 40 for a while the ones i have seen all tend to blow off the water at about 55-60mph,

i perfer the outriggers, can run at 90mph and stay on the water!

Dale

I have pics of the gas "V" I built, but the nitro sport 40 is still under-go in the shop.

I will try to post some pics of the "V" for you guys to let you know what I have.

Peter

You didn't say what engine you are planning on...

But, 447 and 448/3 sounds a bit small!

You should be running an X450 or bigger! 1452 or, a1455. The 14 series props take more work to get to run right.

I like my X450/3's with a bit of mod's...

Ken

AC Sport 40 with CMB 45(head clearance .014) and 450/3 blade, brown nitro pipe at 10 5/8 will get you 50 pretty easily..

Haven't had a chance to try a quiet pipe yet so don't know what length..

As Ken said, the 447 and 448 are a bit on the small side. The 450 we run is just sharpened and balanced.

The AC is very stable with no problems of blow off at the low 50 mph speeds.. High 50's and 60's may be another story but haven't been that fast yet.. ;D

Charley

I appreciate the input guys. I will have to wait and see if the boat will handle and run how I want it to.

Thanks

Peter

Latest posts

Back