Sport 40 E

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Brown

Putting together an old Dumas Eagle Hydroplane.I want to go brussless & lipo system.Who do recamend to buy from,I need every thing except servos,Rx.Thanks JB.

Depends on what your trying to spend. Wats the dimensions of the eagle?

Last edited:
The eagle also has a notched transom besides being too long for the P classes.

Jeff, so its not legal as a sport 40 hydro? Its a 40 boat so Im assuming hed be running Q power, and the boat is around 36 inches.

JB, I run a castle/nue1717 in my PTss45. A neu1527 1.5d or 1y are also good choices. Leo 4082's probably make good Q powerplants too. I look for a kv between 1200-1600 kv and 6s lipo. Castle/Neu recommends 2 p setups for all there boat engines. I run a castle esc but would not at all be afraid to run a fightercat esc. The Schulze esc's speak for themselves.I never buy all from one place. Price and availability often dictates my vendors. South River Rc, OSE,Hobby King, Members of IW, Ebay and others all have recieved purchases from me in the past or present.All have been satisfactory.

Last edited:
We (my driver, Tyler Blackburn and myself) didn't run the Eagle Tree, and mostly raced with a milder prop. The temperatures were around 120 to 130 degrees, and we had just enough battery with the 1P, 5000 mah setup. We could hold off the average nitro boats with a good start, an inside lane, and reliability. They were faster on the straights, though. A more aggressive prop brought temperatures up to 160 degrees and puffed the batteries a little. The motor was fine, but the inexpensive batteries were at the limit.

We had the same issues with the 1/8 scale boat, and Brian built a bigger battery box for a 2P setup. In that case, the motor became the fuse. However, with a smaller than the RCU maximum diameter prop, he still dominated both the Scale and T Sport Hydro classes. It's a balancing act to keep component costs down while maintaining nitro performance. Since the Scorpion motors increased in price, I'm converting the scale boat to Neu power. That matches what is happening in electric 1/8 scale and should give a reliable power plant equal to 11 cc nitro. We'll see at the Northwest Scale Championships.

Lohring Miller

lohring, Jay T and ML both recommend over 6500 mah minimum on the heat race boats. Im running 7200 mah @ 50c in the SS45 and love it. Neu recommends 2p or above 6500 mah right on down the line so with the NEU id be mindful. The outrunners shine in torque with there multipoles but theyre harder on your esc at a given rpm. Its a give or take.Since trying the 1717 in the 40 boat I have found no reason to pull it out and replace it with the 1527.Kv wise its closer to a 1.5 d than a 1Y I just wish I had the 6mm shaft version. On batteries though Id much rather have headroom than not enough, You gotta consider milling time and all that. After seeing your results id say that Jay and ML recommendations are good advice unless you wanna be on the edge for the saved pound and a half. Id rather keep my equipment alive and my batteries un puffed.With lower mah your "punch" will suffer too.

Hugh

wats the RCU maximum prop by the way? cant say I understand it coz bigger diameter doesnt necessarily mean faster boat.

Johnny I hope you plan to let us see the boat it doesnt have to be a maus,whip,or pt to be an interesting 40 boat. May we see it? You know I have prying eyes :ph34r: .

Last edited:
Nice :) Lo you almost bit that bouy!!!!! :ph34r:
That's my driver, the very skilled Tyler Blackburn. We had the slower boat, so the only hope was to get the start and hold the inside lane. Mark was kind and didn't post any video of the race when he passed us in the back straight and didn't look back. It was too bad the other two Sport 40s owned by Mike Hughes and Eric Bourlet couldn't race. We would have had to run Brian's prop and the Turnigy nano-tech batteries might not have made it. The Turnigy 180 and Scorpion motor seem very tough, though. I'm still trying to be competitive with low cost equipment

Lohring Miller

What fun! BTW I'd kill to be able to race on water like that. We usually get 2" chop and 15 mph wind.......

That water was smooth enough for Brian Buaas to run around a 1:15 six lap race with his P Limited rigger. That was with 4 other riggers including mine. Unfortunately, a recheck showed the course had too small radius turns so it wasn't a record.

Lohring Miller

Back