sport 20 radio box and fule tank location ???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

Guys,

I just bought a p/t ss20 with turbine cowl from kevin sheren(great guy to deal with).

It was started and the rear radio box that has been molded for the pipe run down the middle of the box has been installed, very well I might add....

It did however come with the front radio box as well.

I will be installing a rear exhaust .21 cmb green head.

I was wondering since this would be the best time to decide, If you guys were starting almost from scratch would you continue the build using rear radio box with front fuel tank or the opposite.

The only disadvantage I have read about is with front tank the c/g will change when the tank empties.How much if any of a disadvantage is having the tank in front and not close to the c/g??

Thanks

Terry

Guys,
I just bought a p/t ss20 with turbine cowl from kevin sheren(great guy to deal with).

It was started and the rear radio box that has been molded for the pipe run down the middle of the box has been installed, very well I might add....

I was wondering since this would be the best time to decide, If you guys were starting almost from scratch would you continue the build using rear radio box with front fuel tank or the opposite.

The only disadvantage I have read about is with front tank the c/g will change when the tank empties.How much if any of a disadvantage is having the tank in front and not close to the c/g??

Thanks

Terry
My radio box is in the front. I like it there kuz it's hard to make a 20 boat stable. If you keep the cg constant then it's 1 less thing you have to deal with. My 2 cents worth. ps keep the tanks away from the pipe, I melted mine in 1 race.

Guys,

Thanks

Terry
Im doing mine radio box front /tank rear so the cg is more constant, just my .2cents.

PHil or whomever ,

The rear radio box does look easier to work with but does the ease of this offset the long term issue of any unfavorable handling issues.

Does the boat tend to have any blow over issues with the radio box in the rear.I have the radio box with the groove in it and 2 plexiglass tops.Kevin started the rear radio box install and has a very nice clean install started.

Thanks

Terry

PHil or whomever ,
The rear radio box does look easier to work with but does the ease of this offset the long term issue of any unfavorable handling issues.

Does the boat tend to have any blow over issues with the radio box in the rear.I have the radio box with the groove in it and 2 plexiglass tops.Kevin started the rear radio box install and has a very nice clean install started.

Thanks

Terry
I ran a rear box setup for a while with the Mac 21 and it races fine, you probally will have a bit deeper strut setup to compesate for when the front tank gets low.

PHIL

Terry,

What Joe was getting at was that fromt or rear radio box you can still run your tanks under the deck at the CG. To answer your question about the front fuel tank, yes it does lighten up the nose making your setup more critical. But as Phil just said, and as another PT 20 at my club says it runs just fine with the tanks infront of the motor.

All said you are best off with the tanks on either side of the motor and either set up of radio box.

Back