Sport 20 or 40 for new boater

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyellard

I'm thinking about getting into the hobbie with either a Sport 20 or 40. I'm looking for opinions on why 1 would be better for a beginner than the other.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

I'm thinking about getting into the hobbie with either a Sport 20 or 40. I'm looking for opinions on why 1 would be better for a beginner than the other.
Thanks for the help.

Josh
if you like to build, the whiplash is an excellant boat. runs good right off the bench. their setup instructions lack a little tho. the 20 should be cheeper to run than the 40 and will run fast enough for a noobie,(mid 50's)

Thanks for the help.

Josh
Josh, you would be better off to go to your local boat racing club and see what is a popular class, 20 or 40. No use buying a boat that does not have a class to run in your area. 20 boats require calmer water as well.....20 boats can be trickier (ie; finicky) to set up. Its all about having fun.....

The 40 size boat and motor seem to be a little more forgiving and easier to set-up and tune. I run both sizes and the 40 size seems easier and more consistent in all areas. Both are fun as hell...........

Just my .02 cents

Robert

Thanks for the help.

Josh
I have good epoxyglass kits that are pretty easy to build and setup to run. You do have to paint them cause the epoxy is just neutral color. I have complete instructions and parts listed to get the boat finished.

Click the link below to see the price and info sheets.

PHIL THOMAS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help.

Josh
I have good epoxyglass kits that are pretty easy to build and setup to run. You do have to paint them cause the epoxy is just neutral color. I have complete instructions and parts listed to get the boat finished.

PHIL THOMAS
I have a sport 20 i bought on here and will sell for $300 plus shipping less motor and pipe comes with radio gear no rec or battery and all hardware set up for Nova Rossi and i have a used one id deal on.....pm me if interested...Mike

Thanks for the help.

Josh

PHIL THOMAS
I am new to boating and I'm looking into racing a few of my boats. I bought a supersport 45 made by Phil adn I have to say it's one of the best boats on the market if not it's THE best boat on the market. Phil has great setup instructions and the boat handles like a dream. I went with the sport 40 becuase the 20's seem to be sensitive to conditions and the 40's are larger and more forgiving. My ss45 tops out around 60+ and is a blast to drive. If cost is an issue the 20's are slightly cheaper but for most part a high end .45 is gerenally the same price as a high end 20. The hull may cost a little more but I didn't see much difference in the cost when I researched the two prior to my purchase. Either way it's fun and it's always a learning experience. Good luck.

Travis

A bigger boat is usually a better way to go. I say usually because it is dependent on your local area and what is a larger class in your area so you have the support group available. A larger boat deals better with different types of water and a larger motor is easier to tune than the small ones. If sport 40 II is run in your area that is a better way to go for a beginner than a sport 20. I still think that 7.5 stock tunnel is the best way for a beginner to go if it is run in your area and you can get a motor. That is coming from a guy that's favorite class is Sport 40 and is the NAMBA Sport Hydro Chairman, but a tunnel I feel teaches you how to drive, and how to efficiently get around the course and makes you a better sport hull driver. By the way my first boat was a Fisher Sport 40, but my first nationls win was with a Dumas 7.5 tunnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I figured a Sport 40 would handle better, but I was afraid it may be sufficiently faster than a Sport 20 as to make it harder to drive just due to the difference in speed.

Based on your replies, I think I will go with the Sport 40. I live in the Evansville, IN area and the Sport 40 class is well represented. The Sport 20 class has been growing though.

Thanks again.

Josh

Thanks for the replies. I figured a Sport 40 would handle better, but I was afraid it may be sufficiently faster than a Sport 20 as to make it harder to drive just due to the difference in speed.
Based on your replies, I think I will go with the Sport 40. I live in the Evansville, IN area and the Sport 40 class is well represented. The Sport 20 class has been growing though.

Thanks again.

Josh
Hey Josh, you know you can always get in touch with me for anything you need. Our next race is SAturday june 21.

Sport 40 is a great way to go. I am building a new one as we speak. I'll help any way I can.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I plan on stopping by during the upcoming race. I'll probably come by this weekend to see if anyone is practicing. I've been "stopping by" for 3 summers now, so it's about time to find a boat. See you at the lake.

NOTICED YOU WERE LOOKING AT MY STUFF. SPORT 20 ISN'T THAT TOUGH... I HAVE GOOD AND BAD DAYS IN EVERY CLASS. JUST PART OF THE SPORT. I'M MORE OF A MODELER THAN ENGINE GUY, SO MY BEST DAYS ARE ON THE BUILDING TABLE RATHER THAN THE START TABLE. STILL, IT'S ALOT OF FUN RACING AND MESSIN WITH MY BUDS. SPORT 20 IS FUN AND NEEDS A LITTLE KICK IN THE ASS IN NAMBA DISTRICTS.

BOB

I ordered a Whiplash Sport 40 from Brian this afternoon. I think I'll enjoy building a wooden boat, otherwise I would have bought the Super Sport 45 from Phil.

Thanks for you opinions.

Josh

Latest posts

Back