Sport 20 options?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper_chuck

Several of the guys in the district are interested in running Sport 20 hydros next year. We don't have a dedicated class, so those doing so would need to run it in B hydro. While they wouldn't be as fast as the 20 riggers, putting together a reasonably fast boat and then getting consistent finishes should give pretty good results. Even if we lose heats to the riggers, those running sport boats would have fun racing against the other ones. If nothing else, these boats will boost the participation in B Hydro.

So, given this criteria, let's talk about what options are available for boats and engines.

First the engines. Personally, I've already got a MAC .21 outboard that Andy converted to an inboard. Would this be a good choice, or should I sell it and buy something different? If something different, what are the choices? Is there a best engine, or are any of several choices good?

And what about boats? I know of Brian's Whiplash, Phil's SS 21, and Bob Tuttle's boat. Are there others? Do any of them stand out as being "the best" for heat racing, or will any of them do well?

I will try to help as best i can.

I currently run a brian blazer whip.

Nice boat.. runs good.. the radio box is VERY tricky to get set up but other than that good boat.. brian is supposed to be working on a new radio box design. ( boat runs 60mph with a nova rossi )

David pruesse builds a nice glass boat.. runs great and me an dave have great races every time we race together.

Bob tuttles boats are nice.. I don't have much on them as i havn't seen one run.. I have seen them up close but again not running.

Mark bullard builds one also.. again.. it is a wood boat that is build like bob tuttles.. nice boat and me and mark have had good battles at races

you already stated phil thomas boat.. again a glass boat.

I would ask this question.. do you want to BUILD a wood boat.. or buy a glass boat and rig it up. glass would be less time consuming to build.. faster to get on the water.

As for the motors.. i am byast and like novas.. a mac is fine and if you have it.. run that.. no point in spending more money on it than you have to and it gives you a chance to see if you like the class.

What boats are running in your area?? It may be best if you are unfamiler with the boats to look at what others are running.. may give you some idea if you like them or if you want to go with another brand.

they are a blast to run and kinda takes the load off.. it is nice to run a boat that you don't have to fuss with to much like a hydro.

hope i helped.

chris

Chris, thanks for jogging my memory. Another person and I talked with Mark about his boat last weekend in Charleston, and I spent some time looking at the pics in his gallery while I was down there. Completely forgot about it, I guess I'm getting old!

The problem we've got is nobody in the area runs a sport 20, so we don't have anything to go by. The people considering building one all have experience with Sport 40 hydros and other classes. I suspect some may want to build a wood kit, while others may want to go the easier route of prebuilt wood or glass.

Several of the guys in the district are interested in running Sport 20 hydros next year. We don't have a dedicated class, so those doing so would need to run it in B hydro. While they wouldn't be as fast as the 20 riggers, putting together a reasonably fast boat and then getting consistent finishes should give pretty good results. Even if we lose heats to the riggers, those running sport boats would have fun racing against the other ones. If nothing else, these boats will boost the participation in B Hydro.
So, given this criteria, let's talk about what options are available for boats and engines.

First the engines. Personally, I've already got a MAC .21 outboard that Andy converted to an inboard. Would this be a good choice, or should I sell it and buy something different? If something different, what are the choices? Is there a best engine, or are any of several choices good?

And what about boats? I know of Brian's Whiplash, Phil's SS 21, and Bob Tuttle's boat. Are there others? Do any of them stand out as being "the best" for heat racing, or will any of them do well?
The boats we see running here in ILL and INdiana are my SSP21, Extreme 21 built by Dean Werges and the Whiplash. James ElletSSP21 is point champ, Chuck Hildreth extreme 21 2nd, my SSP21 3rd.

PHIL

The boats we see running here in ILL and INdiana are my SSP21, Extreme 21 built by Dean Werges and the Whiplash. James ElletSSP21 is point champ, Chuck Hildreth extreme 21 2nd, my SSP21 3rd.

PHIL
Thanks Phil, that's good info. Your SSP45 has done pretty well for me and several others in D12.

Chuck,

I have a LeeCraft Sport-21 I am looking to sell, I had it up at the Charleston race last weekend trying to sell.

It is an epoxy glass hull, has a CMB green head Valvola in it, with the Brown Fat pipe

Completely rigged and ready to go with Futaba 3PDF radio, with Ferrette/OS 3rd channel needle, fresh paint

Rick

Nice boat.. runs good.. the radio box is VERY tricky to get set up but other than that good boat.. brian is supposed to be working on a new radio box design. ( boat runs 60mph with a nova rossi )

David pruesse builds a nice glass boat.. runs great and me an dave have great races every time we race together.

Bob tuttles boats are nice.. I don't have much on them as i havn't seen one run.. I have seen them up close but again not running.

Mark bullard builds one also.. again.. it is a wood boat that is build like bob tuttles.. nice boat and me and mark have had good battles at races

I would ask this question.. do you want to BUILD a wood boat.. or buy a glass boat and rig it up. glass would be less time consuming to build.. faster to get on the water.

As for the motors.. i am byast and like novas.. a mac is fine and if you have it.. run that.. no point in spending more money on it than you have to and it gives you a chance to see if you like the class.

What boats are running in your area?? It may be best if you are unfamiler with the boats to look at what others are running.. may give you some idea if you like them or if you want to go with another brand.

they are a blast to run and kinda takes the load off.. it is nice to run a boat that you don't have to fuss with to much like a hydro.

hope i helped.

chris
Thanks Chris for the good remarks. And yes we have had some good races and I think that Phil and others have been mixing it up with us also. I can't say for sure but I think that Bob Tuttle's and Brian Blazer's boats are built-up from kit's which takes a little more modeling skills. Which is great because it helps people that don't have those skills learn to build. I hear that they build very easy. I too love to build. But my boats are built a little differant. The sponsons or what is called canoe's are built up like our standard riggers with foam core sponsons and chine's. These are built and glued on the inside plate with all of the lower sheeting done. The tunnels I guess they are called are made of foam that are glued on the plates that match their profiles for their location. The tub is then build like our rigger's and has the radio box built into the tub. I have two holes front and rear drilled in the canoe's, the tunnels and the tub that I use tubes to slide the parts to their position against the tub. The tunnel are placed first and then the bottom is sheeted over these parts. Then the canoe's are placed glued on the tubes and tunnels to finish the bottom. Another piece of ply is place on the transom to tie those parts together. I then sheet the top on each side of the tub with ply, cut the tubes out of the tub and this finishes the hull. This makes for a very, very strong but lite boat.

It is a wood boat but the hull is what I would say 75% built and come with two ABS cowls. All that is needed is to install the shaft log and mount the hardware just like you would do a glass boat and then finish it like you would do any other wood rigger.

I will try to post some more pictures. I also have a finished boat for sell that Doc completed that is complete less reciever, battery, motor, and pipe. It is setup for a Nova with mixture control on the carb, but a CMB will fit the same holes in the motor mount with a little change on the pushrod for the carb.

Doc traded it back to me for my wild fast F mono. This boat is a beautiful little boat with nice paint that looks like a little Miss Rock and that is what it's called. If you have ever seen any of Doc's boats you know that he puts a good finish on one. Price is $450.00 shipped anywhere in the lower 48. I will try to post pictures of it also or send me a e-mail and I can send pictures direct.

Mark

Just to set the record straight, I build boats to order. I don't sell a kit. My sport 21 comes ready to finish. as quick to get on the water as any glass boat. I think,at least in my attempt to build both glass and wood that a wood boat out performs a glass boat. Phil builds great glass boats, I just do better with wood. I quess being a 30 year woodworker may have something to do with that. I sold a kit form boat, and some ways it's alot more work than just cuttin it out and building it.

Sorry no kits, I do have one for sale though :rolleyes:

Thanks, Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in my area, dist. 3 we have mainly Brians whiplashes and Phils ss21s, and they all run good on any given day....Brians boat is a stick kit and in my opinion it is without a doubt the nicest wood kit ive ever built...its lazer cut and everything fits!! Ive put together Phils SS40 and his 82u55 scale hull and they are the SIMPLEST glass hulls ive ever put together, so im sure his 20 boat is no different....they also run great right off the board IF you follow his instructions....Im crazy about sport 20 boats, mainly because i like running model boats that look like real boats, but they can be a bit cantankerous just like 20 hydros...but they are alot of fun!!

Here in my area, dist. 3 we have mainly Brians whiplashes and Phils ss21s, and they all run good on any given day....Brians boat is a stick kit and in my opinion it is without a doubt the nicest wood kit ive ever built...its lazer cut and everything fits!! Ive put together Phils SS40 and his 82u55 scale hull and they are the SIMPLEST glass hulls ive ever put together, so im sure his 20 boat is no different....they also run great right off the board IF you follow his instructions....Im crazy about sport 20 boats, mainly because i like running model boats that look like real boats, but they can be a bit cantankerous just like 20 hydros...but they are alot of fun!!
But.....But ..... Outriggers look like real boats.....sort of :)

But.....But ..... Outriggers look like real boats.....sort of :)
Yes they do Norm, but the problem with the outriggers you guys make is that they go so **** FAST, its hard to tell what they are, unless they are sleepin on the stand!!!Bill

I run Phil's SS21 with Nova LS/Salisbury pipe here in D3. Have had the opportunity to run A Hydro in two district races due to low boat count in Sport 21. Placed first in both of these with consistent finishes, and you're right, if there are other Sport boats in the heat, just concentrate on racing them. Our sport hydros are no match for a quick rigger.

Chuck,I have a LeeCraft Sport-21 I am looking to sell, I had it up at the Charleston race last weekend trying to sell.

It is an epoxy glass hull, has a CMB green head Valvola in it, with the Brown Fat pipe

Completely rigged and ready to go with Futaba 3PDF radio, with Ferrette/OS 3rd channel needle, fresh paint

Rick
Darn, I wish I had seen it while I was there. I guess I didn't get out and circulate enough. Several of the D12 guys thinking of running Sport 21s were there. I've already got an engine and radio, so it's more complete than I need, but if you email me pics and info I'll forward to a couple other guys.

Edit: guess I should include an email addy, eh? [email protected]

Chuck

hope i helped.

chris
Thanks Chris for the good remarks. And yes we have had some good races and I think that Phil and others have been mixing it up with us also. I can't say for sure but I think that Bob Tuttle's and Brian Blazer's boats are built-up from kit's which takes a little more modeling skills. Which is great because it helps people that don't have those skills learn to build. I hear that they build very easy. I too love to build. But my boats are built a little differant. The sponsons or what is called canoe's are built up like our standard riggers with foam core sponsons and chine's. These are built and glued on the inside plate with all of the lower sheeting done. The tunnels I guess they are called are made of foam that are glued on the plates that match their profiles for their location. The tub is then build like our rigger's and has the radio box built into the tub. I have two holes front and rear drilled in the canoe's, the tunnels and the tub that I use tubes to slide the parts to their position against the tub. The tunnel are placed first and then the bottom is sheeted over these parts. Then the canoe's are placed glued on the tubes and tunnels to finish the bottom. Another piece of ply is place on the transom to tie those parts together. I then sheet the top on each side of the tub with ply, cut the tubes out of the tub and this finishes the hull. This makes for a very, very strong but lite boat.

It is a wood boat but the hull is what I would say 75% built and come with two ABS cowls. All that is needed is to install the shaft log and mount the hardware just like you would do a glass boat and then finish it like you would do any other wood rigger.

I will try to post some more pictures. I also have a finished boat for sell that Doc completed that is complete less reciever, battery, motor, and pipe. It is setup for a Nova with mixture control on the carb, but a CMB will fit the same holes in the motor mount with a little change on the pushrod for the carb.

Doc traded it back to me for my wild fast F mono. This boat is a beautiful little boat with nice paint that looks like a little Miss Rock and that is what it's called. If you have ever seen any of Doc's boats you know that he puts a good finish on one. Price is $450.00 shipped anywhere in the lower 48. I will try to post pictures of it also or send me a e-mail and I can send pictures direct.

Mark
I found the build pics in your gallery. Can you email me pics of Doc's boat? [email protected]

Bill, I feel the very same way. I love the fact that sport boats resemble real race boats. I looked at pictures of 5 litre boats in an apba magazine 10 years or so back when I was trying to figure out how I wanted my 21 to look. It has morphed many times, trying new ways to build these boats. tried epoxy... but I 'm back to wood full tilt. I really enjoy building, A bit different than building cabinet boxes every day. A total blast to race them. You guys gotta get sport 20 in your districts race schedule.

Bob

Bill, I feel the very same way. I love the fact that sport boats resemble real race boats. I looked at pictures of 5 litre boats in an apba magazine 10 years or so back when I was trying to figure out how I wanted my 21 to look. It has morphed many times, trying new ways to build these boats. tried epoxy... but I 'm back to wood full tilt. I really enjoy building, A bit different than building cabinet boxes every day. A total blast to race them. You guys gotta get sport 20 in your districts race schedule.

Bob
Bob, What is amazing is the sheer number of limited inboard hydroplane designs out there that people can model their sport boats after...I scratch built my sport 20 to ressemble a 5,6 or 7 litre hydro that was run in the 1970s or 80s.....it has an OPEN COCKPIT with a DRIVER!! Its kinda heavy and not real fast but people sure like to look at it! Also, though i have a few glass boats, I LOVE building wood boats... WOOD RULES!! Thanks, Bill ..... P.S. your hulls look AWESOME!

Bob
Bob, What is amazing is the sheer number of limited inboard hydroplane designs out there that people can model their sport boats after...I scratch built my sport 20 to ressemble a 5,6 or 7 litre hydro that was run in the 1970s or 80s.....it has an OPEN COCKPIT with a DRIVER!! Its kinda heavy and not real fast but people sure like to look at it! Also, though i have a few glass boats, I LOVE building wood boats... WOOD RULES!! Thanks, Bill ..... P.S. your hulls look AWESOME!
Thanks Bill,

My very first sport 20 boat was an open cockpit and had the pipe along side of the cowl. That worked just fine that first year while I ran it in A-hydro. The next year I wrote a proposal to add sport 21 to our race schedule. At that time I had to re-design the cowl to accomadate the pipe. It's been fun, I'm always building something. Right now, I have a sport 21 hull for Beef thats almost done. I have a new sport 40 in the jig, and I'm also cutting out templates for my new sport gas hull. It keeps me out of trouble. at least with the law... wife is another story.

Thanks, Bob

Just to set the record straight, I build boats to order. I don't sell a kit. My sport 21 comes ready to finish. as quick to get on the water as any glass boat. I think,at least in my attempt to build both glass and wood that a wood boat out performs a glass boat. Phil builds great glass boats, I just do better with wood. I quess being a 30 year woodworker may have something to do with that. I sold a kit form boat, and some ways it's alot more work than just cuttin it out and building it. Sorry no kits, I do have one for sale though :rolleyes:

Thanks, Bob
I did not know Bob on the kits for sure. And I agree on building with wood.

Mark

Here are some pictures of the Sport 21 hydro for sell. There are some pictures of my rough looking boat running in Evansville last June 07 also.

would you be interested in a round nose? it can be made to look like any lot of boats in the era.

Back